c_and_a

Jamaican Dual Citizenship?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have always been somewhat of a survivalist: no, I am not a far-right wing nut or a far-left wing nut, I just try to be prepared in the worst of circumstances. I've read in multiple pieces of survivalist literature that it is often a good idea for citizens of a "first world" country to have citizenship of a smaller country, just in case things totally hit the fan and cause everyone to try to flee the United States or Europe if some big crisis were to take place. Yeah, this sounds crazy, and there is a chance nothing like this will ever happen, but it isn't the worst idea just to have all your bases covered, is it?

I am a USC married to a Jamaican citizen who is a U.S. Permanent Resident. Do any of the yardies here know how difficult it would be for me to obtain dual Jamaican citizenship?

Since you are married to a Jamaican citizen you are entitled to be a Jamaican Citizen through that marriage. If you go to any Jamaican Consulate's webpage it will tell you as such. Different ones serve different areas of the US, the one in new York serves my state, their website it http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/ so you would just need to find the one that serves your area. I know there is one in Chicago and Miami. If you go the New York Consulates webpage as an example they tell you to apply for citizenship you need the citizenship application (which I had to mail them a self addressed envelope to receive) notarized copies of your and your husbands birth certificates & current passports, copy of marriage certificate, a police record, and two passport sized photos. The application costs J$7,000 which is like $80US so compared to what we have paid for our husbands we get out cheap! I am sending in the paperwork shortly for myself so if I have any updates I will let you know. I have been talking to a woman at the Consulate in New York and she told me once I git my certificate of citizenship I can apply for a Jamaican passport. PM me is you have any other questions.

Removal of Conditions

12/24/10 - Mailing I-751 Package!

12/27/10 - Package received at Vermont Service Center

12/31/10 - Check cashed

01/04/11 - Received NOA dated 12/28/10

01/27/11 - Bio Appointment (COMPLETE)

05/23/11 - Approved! Card Production Ordered!

Filed: Timeline

I also have dual citizenship and have two passports. I don't use the Jamaican passport anymore since I have a resident stamp (Jamaica) in my US passport. I'm a Jamaican citizen by birth, but I was naturalized and became a USC. You may also want to look into the resident stamp, I'm not sure how it works if you're married to a Jamaican citizen. I know my siblings that were born in the US, were able to obtain the stamp in their passport, but they had to go to the main passport office in Kingston. I was able to get mine stamped in Mobay.

Let me know what you find out. The stamps allows me to stay as long as I want in Jamaica and some other perks. Before I had the stamp, it was a pain in the neck just to open a bank account and they never bug me at the airport anymore when I fly down.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

c and a, I appreciate your asking this question. I never thought about needing dual citizenship for the reason you say, but since you mention it...

Trelawny, do you have to live in Jamaica for some amount of time to get a resident stamp?

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Since you are married to a Jamaican citizen you are entitled to be a Jamaican Citizen through that marriage. If you go to any Jamaican Consulate's webpage it will tell you as such. Different ones serve different areas of the US, the one in new York serves my state, their website it http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/ so you would just need to find the one that serves your area. I know there is one in Chicago and Miami. If you go the New York Consulates webpage as an example they tell you to apply for citizenship you need the citizenship application (which I had to mail them a self addressed envelope to receive) notarized copies of your and your husbands birth certificates & current passports, copy of marriage certificate, a police record, and two passport sized photos. The application costs J$7,000 which is like $80US so compared to what we have paid for our husbands we get out cheap! I am sending in the paperwork shortly for myself so if I have any updates I will let you know. I have been talking to a woman at the Consulate in New York and she told me once I git my certificate of citizenship I can apply for a Jamaican passport. PM me is you have any other questions.

Are you planning a write a letter stating why you should receive citizenship? I looked on the New York and D.C. embassy websites and the NY office mentions writing a letter (Letter to the Minister of National Security and Justice requesting registration as a Citizen of Jamaica) and D.C. doesn't.

It's a little confusing especially if they offices aren't consistent.

10/03/2009 Mailed N-400

10/05/2009 Package received in Lewisville, TX

10/09/2009 Check cashed

10/13/2009 Received Receipt notice with a 10/8/09 priority date

10/23/2009 Received Biometrics letter

11/02/2009 Biometrics apt

11/11/2009 Case sent to local office for interview scheduling

11/21/2009 Received interview letter with an as of date of 11/18/2009

12/15/2009 Interview scheduled-Approved!!!!

12/15/2009 Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!

c and a, I appreciate your asking this question. I never thought about needing dual citizenship for the reason you say, but since you mention it...

Trelawny, do you have to live in Jamaica for some amount of time to get a resident stamp?

I don't know how it works if you're married. I just know that my siblings that were born in the US, had to go to Kingston to get the stamp. My brother and sister also had to provide proof that their parents are Jamaicans.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline
I also have dual citizenship and have two passports. I don't use the Jamaican passport anymore since I have a resident stamp (Jamaica) in my US passport. I'm a Jamaican citizen by birth, but I was naturalized and became a USC. You may also want to look into the resident stamp, I'm not sure how it works if you're married to a Jamaican citizen. I know my siblings that were born in the US, were able to obtain the stamp in their passport, but they had to go to the main passport office in Kingston. I was able to get mine stamped in Mobay.

Let me know what you find out. The stamps allows me to stay as long as I want in Jamaica and some other perks. Before I had the stamp, it was a pain in the neck just to open a bank account and they never bug me at the airport anymore when I fly down.

Trelawny,

Where did you get your passport stamped in MoBay? My husband is planning on becoming naturalized but he hopes to still be recognized as a Jamaican citizen. If he renews his JA passport and doesn't receive a stamp, will it cause problems using two passports?

Edited by Together

10/03/2009 Mailed N-400

10/09/2009 Check cashed

12/15/2009 Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!

Trelawny,

Where did you get your passport stamped in MoBay? My husband is planning on becoming naturalized but he hopes to still be recognized as a Jamaican citizen. If he renews his JA passport and doesn't receive a stamp, will it cause problems using two passports?

At the passport office in Mobay. I asked one of the immigration officers at the airport and they told me where to go, but they told me my little brother had to go to Kingston and we did that.

Now, with the two passports -- I used it when I got to Jamaica to avoid standing in the visitor's line and to show that I'm still a resident of Jamaica even though I'm a USC; I used it as ID when I'm in Jamaica and to get resident rates at hotels. The STAMP is placed in the US passport. Once he gets naturalized and obtains a US passport he can get the resident stamp in his US passport. All they needed was my birthcertificate and it didn't cost anything. He won't need the Jamaican passport anymore, since he has the resident stamp.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Trelawny,

At the passport office in Mobay. I asked one of the immigration officers at the airport and they told me where to go, but they told me my little brother had to go to Kingston and we did that.

Now, with the two passports -- I used it when I got to Jamaica to avoid standing in the visitor's line and to show that I'm still a resident of Jamaica even though I'm a USC; I used it as ID when I'm in Jamaica and to get resident rates at hotels. The STAMP is placed in the US passport. Once he gets naturalized and obtains a US passport he can get the resident stamp in his US passport. All they needed was my birthcertificate and it didn't cost anything. He won't need the Jamaican passport anymore, since he has the resident stamp.

Going to Mobay is definitely more convenient. I guess he would have to get a new stamp everytime his U.S. passport expires.

I can gain citizenship based on my Jamaican parents and thru marriage. So whenever I become a Jamaican citizen, then I would probably have to go to Kingston to get a stamp in my US passport.

Thanks for the info.

10/03/2009 Mailed N-400

10/09/2009 Check cashed

12/15/2009 Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!

Are you planning a write a letter stating why you should receive citizenship? I looked on the New York and D.C. embassy websites and the NY office mentions writing a letter (Letter to the Minister of National Security and Justice requesting registration as a Citizen of Jamaica) and D.C. doesn't.

I did write the letter simply stating that since I was married to a Jamaican Citizen I was allowed citizenship and that I wanted to obtain the citizenship since my husband had made the move from his county to mine I wanted to be involved with his country as well (I phrased it a lot better in the letter I promise!)

Removal of Conditions

12/31/10 - Check cashed

Timeline

Oneil, please disregard my question above. I found out that my jurisdiction is the Miami office. They seem to be consistent with New York. I also looked on the PICA website for the office in JA to see if I could get more info. They also had copies of the application forms.

http://www.pica.gov.jm/content/home/type.a...hannel=Articles

10/03/2009 Mailed N-400

10/09/2009 Check cashed

12/15/2009 Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!

Timeline

I did write the letter simply stating that since I was married to a Jamaican Citizen I was allowed citizenship and that I wanted to obtain the citizenship since my husband had made the move from his county to mine I wanted to be involved with his country as well (I phrased it a lot better in the letter I promise!)

Sounds good to me. Thanks. I'm going to compare which application process is simpler either thru my parents or my husband. We'll see.

10/03/2009 Mailed N-400

10/09/2009 Check cashed

12/15/2009 Oath Ceremony

JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!

No prob, good luck! I must say I am looking forward to not having to wait over an hour in the visitor line at the airport anymore!

Removal of Conditions

12/31/10 - Check cashed

Trelawny,

Going to Mobay is definitely more convenient. I guess he would have to get a new stamp everytime his U.S. passport expires.

I can gain citizenship based on my Jamaican parents and thru marriage. So whenever I become a Jamaican citizen, then I would probably have to go to Kingston to get a stamp in my US passport.

Thanks for the info.

Okay, but you can always ask at the airport next time you're home. Yeah everytime the passport expires you have to get a new stamp. Knowing me, I'll probably keep my old passport and see if they'll let me use the stamp since it doesn't expire. The reason I got the stamp was because of the amount of time I'd been spending back home and I couldn't deal with the hassles when I had to go through customs in Mobay. Before they would grant me anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months stay, with the stamp I stay as long as I want without having to report it since I'm a resident.

tep aff a mi name

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning ladies,

Thanks for the information, because we bought land in Jamaica and looking to start construction in October.

I have always been wanting to know about dual citizenship. Thanks for starting the thread.

Great info on here

Visa Journey Begins

Prgu.jpgPrgum6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.