sassysis

What kinds of gifts should I take?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I will be going to Egypt in about 4 weeks. I have no idea what kind of gifts to take to his family. And I assume I take a gift to everyone, including his brothers and sister. His sister is married with 3 children. Do I take something to her husband and children as well? Suggestions please?? Thank you all!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be going to Egypt in about 4 weeks. I have no idea what kind of gifts to take to his family. And I assume I take a gift to everyone, including his brothers and sister. His sister is married with 3 children. Do I take something to her husband and children as well? Suggestions please?? Thank you all!

I had this very same question when I went to meet my Moroccan family. The advise I was given was "touristy" stuff. They seemed to really appreciate the things that either said "USA" or had our flag on it. Also if there is something that is unique to your area. For example, we have a tea that is only made here in Seattle. To be totally honest though, the thing that went over the biggest was gum. I brought my favorite...Orbit Sweet Mint....EVERYONE loved it!!! Especially our jadah (grandma.) So, I went to Costco and got a few boxes of it. I am still trying to figure out what else to bring for this next trip, so I will be watching ur post. Hope it helped.

Take care,

Melynda

Touristy stuff for the men.

For the women? GOOD mascara is always welcome. Most of the Egyptian women I know have someone who brings it for them when they come to Egypt. I would also bring the knock-off versions of Magic Erasers. Egyptian women work very hard to keep their homes clean (using, quite often, kerosene and steel wool). I heard tell they're here, but they're very expensive and I haven't seen them myself. I brought some when I came so I can't imagine they wouldn't be appreciated.

The children will love anything Disney, stickers, pencils, pens, colored pencils, and crayons (I've never seen Crayola crayons here - a big box would be a hit).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I usually take See's chocolate and gum. They love our chocolate so I know it's always something that fits easily in my luggage. I take makeup, fingernail polish and cologne to his sis and mom. There's just something about our lipstick. They love it. Took some shirts for his brother.

Wael's dad is a huge fan of the WWE so took him a calendar. He was so thrilled seeing ALL his wrestlers!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I've always given my niece beanie babies and she's loved them. Actually, I think my SIL and MIL would probably like to get beanie babies too :whistle:

Bath and Body works stuff is a big hit with my female in laws. Middle of the road (nothing extravigant) gold necklaces were also well loved.

For the men, maybe fancy coffee and a grinder (hand, not electric)? I know AbuS's family just had instant nes cafe (bleck), and since moving to the US, he's totally fallen in love with fresh roasted, home ground stuff.

But, definitely ask what they'd like though. Everyone is different and you don't want a major faux pas right off the bat.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

The mention of mascara reminded me. My sister-in-law (19 years old) has requested that my husband bring some sort of under-eye concealer for dark circles under her eyes (I sure didn't notice them, but it's what she wants). She has fair skin. I want to get her something good. Any suggestions?

As for ideas, his whole family loves chocolate, but last time I was there, his baby niece ate her share and then begged it from everyone else, and then she was sick the next day -- I felt so guilty! My husband sent his mom a stick blender with three attachments, which apparently gets used every day (they have 110V in their kitchen, so it's compatible). He plans to take another to a sister, plus some other small kitchen appliances (including a small griddle like ours if he can carry it, since his mom cooks flat breads on a hotplate atop a propane bottle), good stainless flatware, and a couple of the sewing kits with scissors, thread, pincushion, etc. He's just discovered the sticky lint rollers, and I'm guessing he'll take some of those, as well as some of the Axe deodorant, etc, that he likes. I may pick up some of the little Tide stain-remover pens for him to toss in as well. He's been hitting the clearance racks for brand-name stuff for his brothers. He's going to deflate some soccer balls to take to old friends. Manicure sets would probably be nice -- I don't think my SILs polish their nails, but they keep them looking good. And he wants to take a little inflatable pool for the nieces and nephew to use on the roof. :help: He's been stocking up on this stuff for months, and I'm not sure he'll be able to get it all over there, but he'll sure try. :D He won't be taking many clothes for himself, so I guess the more gifts he takes, the more space he'll have to bring stuff back for the baby. :dance::lol:

Edited by caybee

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Timeline

First, yes, I bring gifts for everyone. My SIL is married w/ one kid and I always buy for her hubby and her son too.

I typically bring funky cool tshirts (you can get them @ target or marshalls) for the boys. I have found ones w/ "fake" ties on them, old cartoon characters, funky hip/hop stuff and they boys love it! Also, any cool caps/hats.

As mentioned above and I do it as well:

*Chocolates from here (typically they only like milk chocolate since dark is not what they are used too..my SIL's face said it all! :lol: ) Even hersheys makes a "special" select bag and you can buy in quanity from Costco/Sam's Club/BJ's whatever is close to you.

*Gum--Orbit is a huge hit the cases they sell at Costco are awesome and everyone goes nuts to get some. Their gum there sucks eggs! :P

*Oil of Old Lady (Oil of Olay)..any kind gets my MIL and the aunts excited. You can buy in bulk again at Costco! :lol: I think they have a 3 pack there.

*Lipstick or any fun makeup type kits...the kind they sell at the holidays but you can find them online and one place I love to order (the girls love the stuff from them) is www.eyeslipsface.com

*Perfume for my MIL. She actually prefers the body sprays we have here. It's hard to find them there plus the scents are HORRIBLE smelling and crappy...You can find those in CVS, Walgreens or Target, etc.

*Kids: Depending on ages. Fun cartoon tshirts, musical toys (fisher price for younger). Costco has great infant outfits and toddler. Or target, marshalls has funky fun kids things too. The toys I found at target. I picked up a cute "toy" cellphone for my nephew. He loved it so much he slept with it every night... :dance: (spiderman of course!)

*Jewelry: Cool silver hoops, bangle bracelets the young girls loved. And the middle of the road gold necklaces are a special gift too!

Hope that helps!! Have a blast and you might need a suitcase just for gifts!!! :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have 9 SIL's and countless nieces and nephews. This time I sent make up from here : http://www.eyeslipsface.com/ Most of it is $1 a piece. I spent like $50 and got enough for everyone - eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, lip gloss etc - I use the eyeshadow and have gotten a ton of compliments on it. Purses and makeup bags are always a hit. Perfume is nice too (esp for his mom) For men we usually send hats or shirts. Since you're sort of meeting them the first time they wouldn't expect much if anything. Small things are always nice - chocolates, or candies. One SIL of mine LOVES gum (just make sure there's no gelatin). Coloring books, crayons and stickers are big hits for kids. We bring them clothes but that's at their parents request now lol. We brought the girls Barbies once and they ADORED them.

We accumulate through the year, when we find something that's a good sale we pick it up that way when the time for a trip comes around we've got most bases covered. If there are any babies - clothes are always appreciated!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

LOL Nawal wow are we on the same wavelength :)

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
First, yes, I bring gifts for everyone. My SIL is married w/ one kid and I always buy for her hubby and her son too.

I typically bring funky cool tshirts (you can get them @ target or marshalls) for the boys. I have found ones w/ "fake" ties on them, old cartoon characters, funky hip/hop stuff and they boys love it! Also, any cool caps/hats.

As mentioned above and I do it as well:

*Chocolates from here (typically they only like milk chocolate since dark is not what they are used too..my SIL's face said it all! :lol: ) Even hersheys makes a "special" select bag and you can buy in quanity from Costco/Sam's Club/BJ's whatever is close to you.

*Gum--Orbit is a huge hit the cases they sell at Costco are awesome and everyone goes nuts to get some. Their gum there sucks eggs! :P

*Oil of Old Lady (Oil of Olay)..any kind gets my MIL and the aunts excited. You can buy in bulk again at Costco! :lol: I think they have a 3 pack there.

*Lipstick or any fun makeup type kits...the kind they sell at the holidays but you can find them online and one place I love to order (the girls love the stuff from them) is www.eyeslipsface.com

*Perfume for my MIL. She actually prefers the body sprays we have here. It's hard to find them there plus the scents are HORRIBLE smelling and crappy...You can find those in CVS, Walgreens or Target, etc.

*Kids: Depending on ages. Fun cartoon tshirts, musical toys (fisher price for younger). Costco has great infant outfits and toddler. Or target, marshalls has funky fun kids things too. The toys I found at target. I picked up a cute "toy" cellphone for my nephew. He loved it so much he slept with it every night... :dance: (spiderman of course!)

*Jewelry: Cool silver hoops, bangle bracelets the young girls loved. And the middle of the road gold necklaces are a special gift too!

Hope that helps!! Have a blast and you might need a suitcase just for gifts!!! :P

I love ELF! Great idea, thanks!

Thanks again everyone! It is very hard to buy for people you have never met. uggg

Filed: Timeline
LOL Nawal wow are we on the same wavelength :)

:dance: Wow! That is tooo funny. After my first visit of running all over the place for things for everyone. I learned to order online like you do...enough so everyone gets a handful of makeup and they adore it. Plus its smells sooo good too! Then I just head to Costco, get all my bulk supplies and finally tshirts and I'm done. :D

skerber0--ELF is the bomb! :D But I agree its so hard buying for everyone and especially your first visit. Don't freak over it. Just make sure to get some "extras" like the gum, chocolate and makeup and then if anyone pops by and you have fogotten them, you have an instant gift and smile! :devil: Almost everything that was suggested is a hit I promise you. The gum is horrible there, the chocolates are a treat and for the most part Egyptians are simple people that are just thankful you remembered them. (Until they get spoiled like my MIL and then she becomes a shop-a-holic like her DIL...hehe...I have created a monster!)

Edited by Nawal

Timeline

Amen to making sure there the "just in case" gifts. I make sure to have those now. MY SIL's are also shopping monster's now. I make sure whatever I take with I'm willing to part with because they inevitably ask for just about anything of mine LOL. I'm on visit #6 in total (combined btw hubby and I) so this is like a science now LOL!

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

I also highly recommend going to the dollar store and buying some cute celophane bags and ribbon to wrap stuff up in - it's nice to receive things in pretty packages. Plus, you could have some gifts wrapped up for ladies, kids, men...like little tchochke gifts that can be given to anyone but that you feel good giving. Maybe even do a Hershey bar, gum, candies, makeup, a Bath and Body Works body spray and soap in each one and have them coded for the ladies and some of the same things in another with a big box of crayons for the kids - how about fun coloring books too??? :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I learned after the first couple of times....Now I only bring something for my grandparents and chocolate or something that everyone can share. The first time I had one huge suitcase just with gifts and it was overweight and I had to pay $150. The second time I thought I was ok...nope had to pay $50. I did the same as Amera-gather things throughout the year. All the suggestions are great! I only advise not giving anything electronic (except ipod).

Men: nice dress shirts, running shoes, hats

Women: lotion, shoes, makeup

Kids: clothes, toys

I also sometimes showed them a website and asked them one thing they wanted on it. For example last year my MIL wanted shoes so I showed her macys.com, nordstroms.com, and payless.com and she picked some she liked and I got them for her.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.