JamesB2008

Vaccination Supplement for a K-1

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am getting ready to file my AOS following arrival here as a K-1, and the wedding etc. I understand that because I had a medical exam as part of the visa process in the UK, all I need to file is the vaccination part of the medical exam form.

However, I only just realised this means making an appointment with a US civil surgeon, and having he or she verify my vaccination records and signing the form. I made this appoitnment and was told it would cost $165.

This seems a little steep considering all they need to do is look at my record from the UK, along with the US Department of State Form signed by the doctor who did my official medical exam, and sign a form.

I was wondering it a) I am doing this correctly, and B ) if this is a normal price to pay for such a simple service.

Any other experiences would be appreciated.

On a related thread, is a print out from my UK doctor going to be enough 'proof' that I have had the vaccinations. It doesn't look very official, but worked for the visa med exam.

Thanks

Edited by JamesB2008

OUR TIMELINE:

Engaged: 6th June 2007

I-129F Sent : 13th December 2007

I-129F NOA1 : 17th December 2007

I-129F NOA2 : 11th March 2008

NVC Received : 17th March 2008

Packet 3 Received : 26th March 2008

Packet 3 Sent : 30th March 2008

Packet 4 Received : 7th April 2008

Medical Date: 24th April 2008

Interview Date : 6th May 2008

Visa Received : 7th May 2008

Entry to US: 25th October 2008 (Chicago, IL)

Wedding Date : 31st December 2008 (NYE!!!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am getting ready to file my AOS following arrival here as a K-1, and the wedding etc. I understand that because I had a medical exam as part of the visa process in the UK, all I need to file is the vaccination part of the medical exam form.

However, I only just realised this means making an appointment with a US civil surgeon, and having he or she verify my vaccination records and signing the form. I made this appoitnment and was told it would cost $165.

This seems a little steep considering all they need to do is look at my record from the UK, along with the US Department of State Form signed by the doctor who did my official medical exam, and sign a form.

I was wondering it a) I am doing this correctly, and B ) if this is a normal price to pay for such a simple service.

Any other experiences would be appreciated.

On a related thread, is a print out from my UK doctor going to be enough 'proof' that I have had the vaccinations. It doesn't look very official, but worked for the visa med exam.

Thanks

google here on VJ for Dr L. E. Arnold... This Civil Surgeon has done the vaccination supplement via USPS for about $20

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

$165 is a pretty standard fee if you go in person to go see a civil surgeon. You can also find Dr. Arnold's info here on VJ to do it for you, it's very affordable and many people here have used his services.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

According to some posts on VJ, if you had the form DS 2053 completed by the panel physician abroad, you can just send a copy of that instead of form I 693. I read the post attached below...

Does anyone know if this is still correct?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101202

Thanks for the advice about Dr Arnold, I will follow that up.

OUR TIMELINE:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Does anyone know if this is still correct?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=101202

That information is incorrect. The fee is $20 (cash, check, or money order), and the suite number is now #114, not 106.

You must telephone Dr. Arnold's office before sending anything, because the required (records of) vaccines differ depending on one's age. Leave a message. Tammie (the office assistant) will return your message.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

whoa thats too much..i only paid $25 to a uscis designated civil surgeon when he transcribed my vaccination record to the I-693..me and my husband went to a lot of appointments before we found the right civil surgeon who wont charge us too much..some even wanted me have a medical exam again which i refused of course...

Edited by RussellandMarie

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

I just sent the vaccination record that was given to me at the London medical. Nich-Nick did this also (along with a lot of K1 filers on here) and were approved last week. We have not had an RFE as of yet and were transferred through to CSC in the normal timeline. Because I am within the age range I had to have the HPV vaccine before I came and have decided to continue with the other two shots so I included a certificate from the the County medical office that was given to me when I had my second shot just to prove I'm being a good girl. I was shocked at the surgeons costs when I looked into getting the vaccination record certified and decided I would rather do it this way and if I get an RFE I will go to Dr Arnold office. Dr Arnold's price is reasonable considering but I still begrudge paying for something I already have.

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

I paid $70 for Claudeth's. Did you try calling around, sometimes you can find cheaper places. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

I called all the offices within reasonable radius, and found that only one of them would actually do it! The others had either moved on, no longer offered the service or had appoinments for weeks!!!

I think I'll risk it by sending just the stuff I got in London - seems like a good bet and well worth a try. If I get an RFE I'll call Dr Arnold.

Better go an cancel that $165 appointment!

Thanks for all your help!

OUR TIMELINE:

James--

That stickie thread about the I-693 is a little outdated. You would have to read the whole long thread to see the progression. The beginning posts are out of date. It mentions a vaccination supplement I-693A which no longer is valid. However, the big changes are only supposed to affect people with medicals after June 1, 2008 (like us). I see your medical was in April. So you actually are supposed to be able to use the old rules and old forms and aren't suppose to have to have the new vaccination requirements or TB skin test. Alot of people filing AOS now from a K visa are falling into the new forms/requirements area. It's a little confusing what the USCIS will do about it. Will they look at our medical dates and RFE us? I think as time goes on, the procedures will be more standard than this group of people with summer medicals who are caught in the changeover.

With you medical in April, you have an even better chance of getting by with the old rules. If you had every vaccination required before your visa (so your record is complete with no more needed), then I think you should be able to just send in the vaccination DS 3024 and try to get by with it. There's a group of us that did that with medicals after June 1. We are just "testing the system" and don't care if we get an RFE because we're together, so the wait isn't the issue like it was before.

Also I would like to add that not sending the new version I-693 did not affect EAD or AP. We did not submit any form of I-693. Please keep in mind that I am speaking about K1/K3 visa people who had a medical overseas within the past 1 year. Both AP and EAD have been approved. So people that are anxious to get EAD, I'm saying I don't think the medical forms prevent that from processing on it's own. That's just an opinion.

So James, you can join the rebels and try it or you can choose to be safe and do the whole medical over with a CS or get Dr. Arnold to transcribe your info. It boils down to a ####### shoot because nobody has good info since the changeover. And when you read AOS threads, half of them may be following totally different rules because they are adjusting for J, F, or tourist visas. Hope that explains some of the various information you have been finding.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Nich Nick, thank you so much for your advice. I am going to join the rebels and risk not sending in the I 693. We'll see what happens from here!

OUR TIMELINE:

James--

That stickie thread about the I-693 is a little outdated. You would have to read the whole long thread to see the progression. The beginning posts are out of date. It mentions a vaccination supplement I-693A which no longer is valid. However, the big changes are only supposed to affect people with medicals after June 1, 2008 (like us). I see your medical was in April. So you actually are supposed to be able to use the old rules and old forms and aren't suppose to have to have the new vaccination requirements or TB skin test. Alot of people filing AOS now from a K visa are falling into the new forms/requirements area. It's a little confusing what the USCIS will do about it. Will they look at our medical dates and RFE us? I think as time goes on, the procedures will be more standard than this group of people with summer medicals who are caught in the changeover.

With you medical in April, you have an even better chance of getting by with the old rules. If you had every vaccination required before your visa (so your record is complete with no more needed), then I think you should be able to just send in the vaccination DS 3024 and try to get by with it. There's a group of us that did that with medicals after June 1. We are just "testing the system" and don't care if we get an RFE because we're together, so the wait isn't the issue like it was before.

My wife had her k-1 medical in March. When we applied for AOS in July, we just sent a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination supplement) she was given at her medical overseas. I did remind them (I included a note) that vaccinations are REQUIRED as part of the k-1 visa process in Costa Rica so that's why we are not including an I-693.

She was transferred to CSC in August, and approved Dec 10th (without an interview). She received her greencard last week.

*But like you said, this is easier to do if your original medical was before June 1st, 2008. On May 1st and July 1st (plus 30 day grace periods), some new vaccines and TST test came into play. So it may be more difficult to get by without a signed I-693.

Basically, you have to weigh the money you save on a overpriced, crooked Civil Surgeon versus the risk of a delay if you get an RFE. A delay may delay your EAD and AP. I say may because some have gotten them while they had open RFE's while others waited until they sent back the RFE to get their EAD/AP. So if getting an EAD/AP as soon as possible is very important, I'd get the form filled out (at the very least by Dr. Arnold).

Good luck

Edited by kid brooklyn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.