zethris

Possible lay-offs happening where I work!

6 posts in this topic

I wanted to wait until my fiance went to bed before I posted this because didn't want to worry her. She is about to leave early in the morning for cebu to get her passport finalized, and do the seminar for fiance visa too.

I have difficult news that I might be getting laid off at work, meaning I will be forced to quit, and I wont be able to collect any unemployment or anything of the sort until I find a new job.

Am I going to have to now face the facts that I am completely S.O.L now and my dreams of being with my best friend sooner than later, all but shattered?

I am seriously worried about this. It is why i wanted to send everything over there now and hope that the pay stubs could still be valid in August so that they don't ask questions.

If I had a co-sponsor, would that be ok?

I can get a job again, no problem. But this is falling in exactly the wrong time as we may be having our final interview date as soon as July or August.

Meh, nothing to see here.

Filed: Timeline

zethris,

Which is it - layoff or quit? In most (all?) states it does make a difference. If you are laid off (released involuntarily) you should be eligible for state unemployment compensation.

Yodrak

I have difficult news that I might be getting laid off at work, meaning I will be forced to quit, and I wont be able to collect any unemployment or anything of the sort until I find a new job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

To answer part of your question, yes, a co-sponsor would help. That is great if you can have soemone.

My wife - the USA citizen and sponsor - was in full-time education (student) when we went through this stuff. Luckily, her parents acted co-sponsors and so it was fine.

The immigration services are not really conserned if you are emplpyed or not, just whether you or soemone else will stop the incoming immigrant becoming a burden on socety (money wise). You can use savings (yours or the immigrants) and cosponsors.

Hope that helps.

Tim (UK) Witney (USA).

November 26th 2004- Sent NOA1 to TSC.

December 3rd- Petition arrived at TSC

Transferred to CSC

December 8th- NOA1 Receipt Date

December 27th- Recieved hard copy of NOA1

March 2- Still waiting :(

March 7th- Receive NOA2 e-mail. E-mail said approval occured on March 3rd.

March 10th- Received e-mail from NVC. Case number received but, file has not arrived yet. Exciting!!!

March 14th - Called NVC and they said the application has been sent to The US Embassy in London... nice. Yet still no NOA2 in post, starting to fret about that!!

NOA2 received in post...

March 26th - Packet three Arrives....

March 29th - Packet Three posted..

March 30th - arrives in US Embassy in London .. waiting now!

April 26th Received packet 4 from Embassy.

May 17th - Medicla in Birmingham. It was fine, if costly!

Interview date set for June 10th in London.....

10th June - Interview at the Embassy... it went very well and i was issued with my visa. Phew!

11th June - Passport with visa arrives at my house, all set.

19th June - Heading off to the US of A!

3rd September 2005 - Married ... a wonderful wedding weekend.

5th September - filed for AOS, Travel Document and EAD

13th November: Travel Documents (advanced parole) approved received in mail.

16th December: Biometrics in Charlotte. Very quick and easy.

19th December: EAD approved. Received card in mail after Christmas.

Filed: Other Timeline
To answer part of your question, yes, a co-sponsor would help. That is great if you can have soemone.

My wife - the USA citizen and sponsor - was in full-time education (student) when we went through this stuff. Luckily, her parents acted co-sponsors and so it was fine.

The immigration services are not really conserned if you are emplpyed or not, just whether you or soemone else will stop the incoming immigrant becoming a burden on socety (money wise). You can use savings (yours or the immigrants) and cosponsors.

Hope that helps.

The OP is processing thru the Fils, not London.

I think you should check with other posters who went through the same consulate as to how co-sponsors are viewed.

I'm pretty sure that savings (yours or the immigrants) won't fly in Cebu.

zethris,

Which is it - layoff or quit? In most (all?) states it does make a difference. If you are laid off (released involuntarily) you should be eligible for state unemployment compensation.

Yodrak

Many companies lay you off as apposed to termination of employment so that they do not have to pay un-employment insurance, and then benefits. It also gives them an ability to force you to quit by having Non-Compete contracts over your head, while also not paying you while you are in lay off status. So you are forced to quit, and you do not get unemployment for that unless the company officially terminates your employment which happens less and less these days.

Meh, nothing to see here.

Filed: Timeline

zethris,

OK, I see what you mean by the term 'layoff'.

If you're not covered by a collective bargaining agreement have a consultation with an attorney who practices labor and employment law, it may be worth the nominal cost.

Yodrak

zethris,

Yodrak

Many companies lay you off as apposed to termination of employment so that they do not have to pay un-employment insurance, and then benefits. It also gives them an ability to force you to quit by having Non-Compete contracts over your head, while also not paying you while you are in lay off status. So you are forced to quit, and you do not get unemployment for that unless the company officially terminates your employment which happens less and less these days.

Edited by Yodrak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.