Sanjiv Patel

VFS and Consulate requesting originals even though NVC collected them

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

With the change in procedure in December 2007 for most Indian consulates (and probably for most visa categories) NVC now collects all original birth, marriage, police / RPO clearance, photos, etc. However, it seems that not all helpline employees of Mumbai consulate and VFS employees in Ahmedabad are aware of this change. Both consulate and VFS helpline personnel are asking the applicants to submit these documents again and pay VFS fee!

Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone experienced otherwise (meaning these people knowing the change)?

Also, why is there a need for VFS fee when we are not sending any documents to consulate using their service? Is it because consulate is goign to send passports back by VFS courier? Shouldn't the fee be reduced if VFS is doing half the work? Is there anyone who paid the VFS fee in full (Rs 365 per applicant) at VFS but did not have to provide all docs to them?

Also, does anyone know why an adult child (qualifying under CSPA) get a phone response from this ignorant support staff that his name is not listed for interview, when NVC appointment letter for interview lists the adult child and his mother? Does anyone know if providing derivative beneficiary's name produce similar response, as the system they might track only primary beneficiary?

Please share your experience or suggestions. This is mostly applicable to applicants interviewing March 2008 and later who have submitted all docs to NVC. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Sanjiv! I went to VFS (Hyderabad) yesterday to pay the courier charges of Rs. 365 and the guy didn't know anything about the new changes in the procedures. He went on & on about documents to be submitted with the fees... I explained him in great detail about the new process but to no avail. Finally a lady colleague of his came to my rescue and asked him to take the courier fees. He gave me a white receipt on which the details about the payment was given and a barcoded sticky to be stuck at the back of the passport. On the chennai website it states a pink slip has to be submitted along with the interview letter and passport at the 1st counter. I told them it is a pink slip but was informed that there is no pink slip and I have to give the white receipt at the 1st counter.

Looks like there is no coordination between NVC, consulate and VFS... They make us go thru sooooo much.

Whew!!! All done finally....

USCIS Process

15th May 07 - Mailed the I-130 package

16th May 07 - Recvd by NSC

04th Jun 07 - Recvd by CSC

06th Jun 07 - Cheque Cashed

24th Aug 07 - Finally received NOA1

31st Aug 07 - Touched looks like finally things are on a move :)

18th Sep 07 - Touched again

19th Sep 07 - Case Approval (NOA2) sent on 18th sep (just received an email update) :)

NVC Process

02nd Oct 07 - NVC Received and assigned case number

08th Oct 07 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

22nd Oct 07 - Received DS-3032 and AOS bill

23rd Oct 07- AOS bill sent

29th Oct 07- DS-3032 sent

31st Oct 07- DS-3032 entered into the system

05th Nov 07- IV bill generated

20th Nov 07- IV bill received

21st Nov 07- IV bill money order sent

26th Nov 07- IV bill processed

27th Nov 07- I-864 received

03rd Dec 07- I-864 sent

03rd Dec 07- DS230 generated

19th Dec 07- DS230 received

31st Dec 07- DS230 sent

03rd Jan 08- NVC received

18th Jan 08- Case complete :)

26th Feb 08- Finally case forwarded to Embassy, got the interview date Yoo Hoo

Chennai Embassy

20th Mar 08 - Medicals completed

1st Apr 08 - Interview done I got the visa..... yoo hooooo

13th Apr 08 - arrived in USA

24th Apr 08 - SS card arrived in mail

09th May 08 - Greencard arrived in mail

Timeline

ze22,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's amazing to see lack of coordination in the times of electronic communication. How difficult it is for consulate to circulate an e-memo to VFS heads, who then pass it on to their employees? Even the consulate help staff didn't know about this change. Talk about lack of coordination.

Good Luck,

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline

hi,

In my previous posts I had mentioned that people should submit certified copies or the so called notarised copies of the originals and send to the NVC...... but many people opposed my view.... Its best to keeep originals for the interview.. because NVC has lots of appplications.. and once we loose originals.. it can take months to get them back from the source or from NVC or they can be lost for ever,..... But many didnt agree with my view..... Its clearly states on the website.. people can send certified copies or notarised copies of the original..

Please Please take originals for the interview or submit to VFS... because VFS people dont know anything yet... and also there is a safety option with us so we show the CO offficer the orignals which are submitted at the time of interview.....

I hope this helps

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Timeline

Dunhill,

I agree with you. Certified copies are copies certified by issuing agency, and not by a notary.

BTW, Jigi went through the process before the transition of all Indian consulate from "Standard" to "Appointment Post" in December 2007 / January 2008. May be notarized documents worked when VFS collected all documents, but now NVC collects them and it clearly states: ". . . original documents or certified copies of the documents. . ." (Reference: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html)

I would not advise anyone to risk getting an RFE by sending notarized copies to NVC.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline

hi,

Respected members..... Best of luck... to alll....

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Timeline

Concur with Sanjiv and Dunhill. No offense Jigi.

I-130

07/27/2007 : Mailed I130 for spouse (VSC)

09/20/2007 : NOA1

11/07/2007 : NOA2

NVC

11/20/2007 : Case # Assigned

03/10/2008 : Case Completed!

03/20/2008 : Interview Scheduled & Interview letter mailed

03/25/2008 : Beneficiary received interview letter

03/25/2008 : Case forwarded to consulate. NVC message updated on 3/28/08.

Consulate

05/22/2008 : Interview

05/22/2008 : Visa granted and passport collected same day.

05/26/2008 : POE (Newark, NJ).

Our Timeline (more detailed events)

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Another twist in the story that highlights the disconnect between NVC / Consulate and VFS. My sister went to pay for VFS fees in Ahmedabad, Gujarat VFS office on March 25, 2008 and the guys wouldn't accept the Appointment Letter from NVC as authentic!!!!! They only recognize the letters issued by consulate as authenticate. My sister and her son talked to them with no avail and eventually had to return to their home town without doing anything. They have sent a letter to Mumbai Consulate requesting them to send an Appointment Letter from consulate or else educate their VFS counterparts so that they don't create unnecessary hassles to applicants.

The VFS staff was asking for original documents. So, they don't even know about the change in process. My nephew was able to convince them to accept photocopy of the originals, as we don't have originals (they were submitted to NVC and are now with consulate). I don't even see a need to submit copies, when originals are with consulate. Of course, since their interview is on Apr 15, they still have another week to sort this issue out with VFS and make payment.

Anyone with this sort of experience? Any suggestions how to deal with these ignorant VFS staff? Anyone who has a response from Consulate in this regards, if they raised this issue to Consulate?

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Edited by Sanjiv Patel

Timeline
Another twist in the story that highlights the disconnect between NVC / Consulate and VFS. My sister went to pay for VFS fees in Ahmedabad, Gujarat VFS office on March 25, 2008 and the guys wouldn't accept the Appointment Letter from NVC as authentic!!!!! They only recognize the letters issued by consulate as authenticate. My sister and her son talked to them with no avail and eventually had to return to their home town without doing anything. They have sent a letter to Mumbai Consulate requesting them to send an Appointment Letter from consulate or else educate their VFS counterparts so that they don't create unnecessary hassles to applicants.

The VFS staff was asking for original documents. So, they don't even know about the change in process. My nephew was able to convince them to accept photocopy of the originals, as we don't have originals (they were submitted to NVC and are now with consulate). I don't even see a need to submit copies, when originals are with consulate. Of course, since their interview is on Apr 15, they still have another week to sort this issue out with VFS and make payment.

Anyone with this sort of experience? Any suggestions how to deal with these ignorant VFS staff? Anyone who has a response from Consulate in this regards, if they raised this issue to Consulate?

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Hi Sanjiv,

I received my wife's interview letter couple of days back. It did have a list of documents that was filed with NVC like marriage certificate original, etc.

hope this helps. my wife has to file her documents with VFS in May. So, hopefuly VFS would get their act together.

Regards

I-130

07/27/2007 : Mailed I130 for spouse (VSC)

09/20/2007 : NOA1

11/07/2007 : NOA2

NVC

11/20/2007 : Case # Assigned

03/10/2008 : Case Completed!

03/20/2008 : Interview Scheduled & Interview letter mailed

03/25/2008 : Beneficiary received interview letter

03/25/2008 : Case forwarded to consulate. NVC message updated on 3/28/08.

Consulate

05/22/2008 : Interview

05/22/2008 : Visa granted and passport collected same day.

05/26/2008 : POE (Newark, NJ).

Our Timeline (more detailed events)

Timeline

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Hi Sanjiv,

I received my wife's interview letter couple of days back. It did have a list of documents that was filed with NVC like marriage certificate original, etc.

hope this helps. my wife has to file her documents with VFS in May. So, hopefuly VFS would get their act together.

Regards

so we have to submit the original civil documents at VFS before interview

Timeline

The originals are submitted to NVC. So, what's the point of providing another set of originals to VFS? Most importantly, in Vadodara and Ahmedabad, only one original Police Clearance Certificates are issued even when we ask for 2. So, where are we going to find another original? VFS needs to understand the changed procedure and stop asking for originals if they are submitted to NVC, as confirmed by NVC on Appointment Letter.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline

Hi MGK,

Did you receive interview letter from indian consulate? Is it asking to submit the 'un-submitted' orginals to be submitted to VFS and pay any fee? I have so far not received any communication from consulate; but the NVC letter sent to petioner in US says to bring all un-submitted documents for interview and does not talk about VFS or paying any fees? could any one clarify??

Thanks!!

Timeline
Hi MGK,

Did you receive interview letter from indian consulate? Is it asking to submit the 'un-submitted' orginals to be submitted to VFS and pay any fee? I have so far not received any communication from consulate; but the NVC letter sent to petioner in US says to bring all un-submitted documents for interview and does not talk about VFS or paying any fees? could any one clarify??

Thanks!!

we have paid the IV fee of $400 at NVC , so should we have to pay any fees on the interview day.

Timeline

June007,

No offense, but please do not hijack thread for unrealted discussion - start a new thread. To shortly answer you, you will not have to pay the fee at consulate since you have paid $400 to NVC.

Dunhill,

Although your question was for mgk, I would like to say that in my case, the Appointment Letter was from NVC (sent to 3 parties: Petitioner, Agent of Choice, and Beneficiary) and so far there has been no direct communication from Consulate - and I believe there is no reason for them to duplicate NVC's communication. The consulate's web site shows the interview has been scheduled for our case number, so that's one peace of mind. the NVC letter shows what was submitted and what was missing, and it also says to bring all un-submitted documents, if any, for interview and does not talk about VFS or paying any fees. So, there is some confusion. However, VFS fees need to be paid, I think, for return of passport to beneficiary. My stand is, if you have submitted all evidence to NVC, VFS should only collect the money and not request original or even photocopies of the documents.

However, there is no communication between Consulate / NVC, who are working with new process, and VFS.

I can update you all after Apr 8th - latest date by which the beneficiary needs to pay VFS fees.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.