aussiewench

International Marriage Broker Regulation Act

33 posts in this topic

Cantwell Legislation to Protect Thousands of Mail Order Brides from Abuse Becomes Law

Cantwell applauds renewal of Violence Against Women Act as president signs bill to guard against exploitation and domestic violence

Thursday, January 05,2006

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) applauded the president’s signing of the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act Thursday as part of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) of 2005. The new regulations, based on a bill sponsored by Cantwell, will help provide foreign fiancées with additional resources and will help them decide for themselves whether they are entering into a safe situation. VAWA includes additional safeguards for survivors of domestic violence.

“This law builds on past lessons, putting in place vital safeguards to protect women from abuse and exploitation,” said Cantwell. “Foreign-born fiancées deserve to know about their rights here in the United States, and need information about whether their potential spouse has a history of violent crime.”

Continued here

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Listen up guys,

this new law will give us fits for the next year or so while USCIS tries to sort it all out.....

USC must now have a criminal background check. I think this will slow things down even more...

:crying:

2/1/2006 Mailed I-129F to NSC

2/2/2006 I-129F delivered to NSC

2/6/2006 NSC NOA1 - Received!

2/8/2006 NSC NOA2 - Approved!

2/10/2006 NSC mails K1 to NVC

2/20/2006 NVC received K1

2/27/2006 NVC Mail K1 to Kiev

3/9/2006 Kiev Receives K1

3/10/2006 FAX'ed appointment letter to Kiev

3/14/2006 Scheduled interview in Kiev

4/10/2006 Appointment in Kiev

4/10/2006 K-1 Visa Received

Listen up guys,

this new law will give us fits for the next year or so while USCIS tries to sort it all out.....

USC must now have a criminal background check. I think this will slow things down even more...

:crying:

USC as well as attorney and anyone else that has anything to do with the petition is subject to a security check just as the alien is. All names are entered into the system for IBIS eg and if a hit results from any of the names it has to be resolved. I dont think the USC having a background check is going to slow down the process much, if at all. What people are forgetting is that this new law in most part only applies to those meeting through a Marriage Broker, hence the name of the Act.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

It is a good thing. It may also reduce the numbers of victims of human trafficking by allowing them to speak out. Progress in this area remains to be seen though, not just in the US but worldwide. I would also like to see, at the same time, some progress being made in protecting asylum seekers and refugees, instead of a twist in the law to expedite their trip back home. One step at a time. Maybe this is heading a bit more in the right direction.

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Criminals are getting better at using the Internet, not just by spreading viruses and stealing people's credit card number. People who track them down are gettting better too. Marriage brokerage is a big business for criminals and organized crime.

"The trafficking of women for sexual exploitation is an international, organized, criminal phenomenon that has grave consequences for the safety, welfare and human rights of its victims.

Trafficking in women is a criminal phenomenon that violates basic human rights, and totally destroying victims' lives. Countries are affected in various ways. Some see their young women being lured to leave their home country and ending up in the sex industry abroad. Other countries act mainly as transit countries, while several other receive foreign women who become victims of sexual exploitation. "

Soure: interpol

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's a good thing and probably the best thing to do :thumbs:

Sheila (F)

IV IR-5 Timeline for Parents

USCIS

08/02/2016 - sent I-130 application for my parents via USPS Priority Mail

08/05/2016 - Priority Date

08/08/2016 - NOA1s Notice date

08/09/2016 - NOA1s text message and email received

08/10/2016 - money orders: cashed

08/13/2016 - received NOA1s in the mail

08/24/2016 - touched

12/27/2016 - Cases Approved! (148 days or 4 months and 26 days total)

---

NVC

01/12/2017 - NVC Welcome Letters Received (Case Number + Invoice Number)

01/13/2017 - Completed DS-261

01/25/2017 - Received IV Fee

01/26/2017 - Paid AOS fee

01/30/2017 - Paid IV Fees

02/03/2017 - Completed IV and AR Application

02/23/2017 - sent NVC packets via USPS Priority Mail (note: I have to wait for my mom's police certificate, so there was a bit of a delay before I can send the package)

02/27/2017 - packets received at 11:30 am signed by N Visa Center

03/01/2017 - Scan Date

05/06/2017 - Case Completed

05/12/2017 - NVC scheduled the interview!

06/02/2017 - Medical (06/14 to 06/15 - Dad's Sputum Test)

06/16/2017 - Mom's Interview Date (Approved!)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not only is it a sell out to the big corporations like yahoo, match.com etc who are exempt from this but it's not going to do a thing to slow down any exploitation of women.

Further, to suggest that ANY law is a good law that is signed into law by the president or any other leader of a country without so much as a discussion and debate is unbelievable.

There are already laws on the books. Enforce them. But to suggest that American men are abusers, and foreign women are poor lowly waifs who will anything just to get out of their homelands including be abused by those mean old Americans who will now have to submit to an invasion of privacy before even saying hellow is outrageous.

Too late though, the king has spoken

Not only is it a sell out to the big corporations like yahoo, match.com etc who are exempt from this but it's not going to do a thing to slow down any exploitation of women.

Further, to suggest that ANY law is a good law that is signed into law by the president or any other leader of a country without so much as a discussion and debate is unbelievable.

There are already laws on the books. Enforce them. But to suggest that American men are abusers, and foreign women are poor lowly waifs who will anything just to get out of their homelands including be abused by those mean old Americans who will now have to submit to an invasion of privacy before even saying hellow is outrageous.

If it protects the ones that may face abuse then I cant see how its a bad thing.

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Timeline

If it protects the ones that may face abuse then I cant see how its a bad thing.

A) it doesn't do that , B) it greatly limits even the possibility of the bonding of hearts across the oceans and C) it greatly robs property from small business owners

Which of course goes against not only the letter but the spirit of the Constitution.

But of course never mind that old thing

If it protects while violating someone's civil rights, then it can't be a good thing.

I bet this law is one day found unconstitutional. It requires a US citizen to disclose their entire criminal history PRIOR to ever even talking to a foreigner via an international broker.

This would be like making a law that says every peson that comes up to you in a bar has to declare his entire criminal history to you before conversing with you.

I have zero criminal history.. so the law would have little affect on me, however, I still have to disagree with it 100%.

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

Timeline

If it protects while violating someone's civil rights, then it can't be a good thing.

I bet this law is one day found unconstitutional. It requires a US citizen to disclose their entire criminal history PRIOR to ever even talking to a foreigner via an international broker.

This would be like making a law that says every peson that comes up to you in a bar has to declare his entire criminal history to you before conversing with you.

I have zero criminal history.. so the law would have little affect on me, however, I still have to disagree with it 100%.

Yes and it only prevents American men from communicating with "foreign" women, unless of course the American man is using Yahoo Personals, Match.com, E-Harmony. They are exempt from this law.

This law is the ultimate discriminatory law against American men, and Foreign Women not to mention how it caters to big business while destroying the little people.

I'm waiting for bush to claim he was unaware........ :lol:

Edited by MrTudo

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

This document leads me to believe that all K-1 applications are subject to the new law, not just those resulting from a pairing through an international marriage broker:

http://www.gop.gov/Committeecentral/bills/hr3402.asp

:thumbs:

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

This document leads me to believe that all K-1 applications are subject to the new law, not just those resulting from a pairing through an international marriage broker:

http://www.gop.gov/Committeecentral/bills/hr3402.asp

:thumbs:

Correct. The first lot of info that was available was focused on the section regarding marriage brokers which is why I think many, including myself, didnt realise at first that there was implications right across the board. I sat and read the whole thing a couple of weeks ago and I was a lil shocked at the extent of it.

You can find me on FBI

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.