Teacher Mark

Anyone Know Where My Wife Can Get "The Check" At?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

For years I have heard people complain about how the Government gives large sums of money (legend always has it that the sum is between $5 to 10K) to foreigners. Anyone else ever heard this myth and if so..."Show us the money"!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I thought this part of the Snopes article was interesting:

This is a rumor of resentment. Those who have been here for a while look around their neighborhood and see what they perceive as too many of an identifiable group of new arrivals upsetting their apple cart. Rather than identifying their feelings as "We were here first, and we don't want you lot changing the world we've built," they channel resentment that cannot be expressed honestly into a rumor that focuses their bad feelings on the last group through the gate but also provides a justification for expressing those feelings. A proper conscience does not rest comfortably when its owner's anger is being directed at a group that doesn't deserve it. However, give that conscience a reason to believe that the other group has done something to merit displeasure, and the restraints are lifted. It becomes okay to resent, and even to hate.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I thought this part of the Snopes article was interesting:

This is a rumor of resentment. Those who have been here for a while look around their neighborhood and see what they perceive as too many of an identifiable group of new arrivals upsetting their apple cart. Rather than identifying their feelings as "We were here first, and we don't want you lot changing the world we've built," they channel resentment that cannot be expressed honestly into a rumor that focuses their bad feelings on the last group through the gate but also provides a justification for expressing those feelings. A proper conscience does not rest comfortably when its owner's anger is being directed at a group that doesn't deserve it. However, give that conscience a reason to believe that the other group has done something to merit displeasure, and the restraints are lifted. It becomes okay to resent, and even to hate.

Very interesting observation about human behavior.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yugoslavia
Timeline
For years I have heard people complain about how the Government gives large sums of money (legend always has it that the sum is between $5 to 10K) to foreigners. Anyone else ever heard this myth and if so..."Show us the money"!

I am a USC and I have heard the the 5k - 10k story. I have lots of friends from many different countries and my father is originally from India my guess is that story this is truly an Urban Legend. I think that the reason many USC believe this myth is that people who have come to the US from other countries tend to work more hours and combine their resources because that is the way most cultures are. I worked in a tax accounting office for several years the W-2's of Permanent Residents were consistently more. The reason was not that PR's were given a higher wage (usually a little less), but that PR's tended to work all of the overtime hours available and overtime pay rate is usually time and 1/2. As a matter of a fact my husband cannot wait to work in US where there are actually minimum wage regulations. What he considers free extra money (overtime wages) for doing his job, I tend to expect that rate. Please don't view me a prejudiced in any way, shape or form - - I am not. I just think that most PR's have different views on work than USC's do.

Timeline

I am a USC and I have heard the the 5k - 10k story. I have lots of friends from many different countries and my father is originally from India my guess is that story this is truly an Urban Legend. I think that the reason many USC believe this myth is that people who have come to the US from other countries tend to work more hours and combine their resources because that is the way most cultures are. I worked in a tax accounting office for several years the W-2's of Permanent Residents were consistently more. The reason was not that PR's were given a higher wage (usually a little less), but that PR's tended to work all of the overtime hours available and overtime pay rate is usually time and 1/2. As a matter of a fact my husband cannot wait to work in US where there are actually minimum wage regulations. What he considers free extra money (overtime wages) for doing his job, I tend to expect that rate. Please don't view me a prejudiced in any way, shape or form - - I am not. I just think that most PR's have different views on work than USC's do.

Bingo. I had a friend quote the myth last year in reference to a local merchant. She won't do it again with me around! I gave her a run down of the research I had done into it, gave her a mini lecture on the hard work, determination and willingness to sacrifice short term pleasure for the long term goal that many Immigrants display, etc. etc. I don't think she'll bring the subject up with me again but I don't think I swayed her opinion. It's amazing how deep resentments can go.

Edited by WideAwakeInTheUSA

Nigeria. Just wait for the e-mails.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

This started way before the Nigeria scam. Things like that do help the resentments fester though. It gives a the false sense of justification that is spoken of in the article. Just my opinion!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This started way before the Nigeria scam.

OK, Bamboo Telegraph then...............it's unbelievably effective.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

here's the latest twist i've seen on nigerian scams......

"WEMA BANK PLC." <scamvictims_reimbursements@yahoo.es> wrote:

THE BENEFICIARY.

FRAUD VICTIMS/$150,000 BENEFICIARIES.

OUR REF: 10667FV

YOUR REF: 89007

Attention,

SCAM VICTIM REIMBURSEMENT.

I write to bring to your notice as a delegate from the Nigerian

Government Reimbursement

committee under the strict supervision of the United Nations to pay 230

Nigerian 419 scam victims the sum of $150,000 USD (One Hundred and Fifty

Thounsand Dollars) each. You are hereby listed as one of the

beneficiaries for these payments.You are expected to get back to us as

soon as possible for your immediate reimbursement.

As a result of this laudable recommedations,it is imperative to bring to

your notice that during the last U.N. meeting held in Abuja, Nigeria, it

was alarmed by so many countries around the world about lOss of funds by

various foreigners to these scam artists operating in syndicates all over

the world today. In other to redeem the good image of our dear country,

the President has ordered the immediate payment of $150,000 USD each to

the affected victims in accordance with the U.N. directives. Due to the

corrupt and inefficient Banking Systems in Nigeria, these payments are to

be made by WEMA BANK Plc, Nigeria and RABO BANK PLC,UK as the

corresponding paying bank under the funding assistance of the Central Bank

of Nigeria.

Presently, 184 Beneficiaries have been paid, more than 50% of the victims

are from the United States,while about 40% are from other parts of the

world.

Your particulars were among those mentioned by some of the Syndicates that

were apprehended

in Lagos, Nigeria as one of the victims of the operations, you are hereby

warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to anybody for any

reason whatsoever as the U.S. secret service in conjunction with The

Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has swange into action to

track these sets of criminals down.Once again,you are expected to keep

mute until these criminals are all apprehended.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) (Motto: No Body is

Above the Law) have combined effort with the United Nation Anti-crime

commission to alleviate the plight of these victims as well as redeeming

the image of our dear country.

Many Banks, Universal firms, Companies and individuals have been in

bankrupcy today due to the activity of these hoodlums. However, a thorough

investigation have revealed that these people have dropped over 500,000

victims across the

world, after collecting their money falsely, many as a result of this

have committed

suicide,while other are now living in abject poverty.

As regards these ongoing developmental strive, we have over 200 suspects at

hand, 135 in kirikri prisons.While many are awaiting trial, we are still

in search of

others,who think they are wise, and hope that you will assist by giving

any vital information that could lead to the apprehension of these

hoodlums.

You can receive your reimbursement via any of these options

you Choose, DRAFT/CHEQUE/ATM PAYMENTS, WESTERN UNION or WIRE TRANSFER.

We shall be waiting to hearing from you been certain that your response

will be that you are

satisfied and willing to claim your $150,000 USD (One Hundred and Fifty

Thounsand Dollars)

Reimbursement funds.

A copy of your response is expected to be sent to us via this email:

info_scamvictimswemabnkplc@yahoo.com.cn

Yours faithfully,

GEORGE OLUMIDE

FRAUD VICTIMS/$150,000 BENEFICIARIES.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

I used to hear that in the late 70's and early 80's.Many people(I used to hear them all the time) were complaining about the influx of Southeast Asian immigrants after the war,and were saying that the US government were giving them 5 thousand dollars to come to the USA.Whether it was true or not,I really do not know.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

This started more than 20 years ago.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Anyone Know Where My Wife Can Get "The Check" At?

Same place I go to get the wealth and privilege I'm supposed to have by virtue of being white ;)

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007