l3tranger

temporary visa while I-130 is pending

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to the Montreal consulate this morning to interview for a non-immigrant visa for the US while having a I-130 pending. Some people on this forum asked before that if getting another visa is possible during the journey, and according to answers from the consulate and my interview, it is possible, as long as you have a legitimate reason. They aren't harsh when it comes to giving visiting or travel visas, and definitely will approve work visas with your employer's invitation.

Anyway, I got a one-year unlimited entries visa to USA so I can finally go back and visit!!

Timeline
I went to the Montreal consulate this morning to interview for a non-immigrant visa for the US while having a I-130 pending. Some people on this forum asked before that if getting another visa is possible during the journey, and according to answers from the consulate and my interview, it is possible, as long as you have a legitimate reason. They aren't harsh when it comes to giving visiting or travel visas, and definitely will approve work visas with your employer's invitation.

Anyway, I got a one-year unlimited entries visa to USA so I can finally go back and visit!!

Wow, congrats :) You must be so happy! Are you from Montreal? Also, was it a visitors visa that you were issued? Okay, last question - did you get an interview quickly and was it issued on the spot?

This is just for my own curiosity. I was denied entry twice, so I think it's highly unlikely that I could get a similar non-immigrant visa to enter into the US for the next year :(

That's interesting. It really shouldn't be necessary to get the interview and go that route but it must feel really great having a hall pass in case the border monitors decide to be strict.

We're still doing great w/my husband being able to cross seemingly at will. Hope that holds out.

Thanks for sharing that information.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Timeline

Ok details:

I went in for an interview to see my family in the USA. Because my husband, parents and brother (who is also USC) are all in the USA and I live alone in Canada for school. They just asked for some school documents, my passport and my Canadian Permanent Residency card. The officer didn't ask me many questions, she just asked where my family lives in USA, and since I was issued H visa before for 5-6 years, she asked if I went back and forth between US and Canada frequently, and I said yes that I spend basically half a year in each country for the past 4-5 years or so. Then they issued me a visa on the spot, told me to come pick it up the next day after 3 pm. They issued me B1/B2 visa, multiple entries within one year. Hope this helps.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

My husband (a Canadian LPR) has a B1/B2 for the U.S. It was issued for a 5 year period. Just because he has this valid visa does not guarantee entry into the U.S. though. Be prepared for a turn around at a CBP officer's whim. Just a word of caution.

Grats on your visa!

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.