Jan and Steve

Importing Canadian vehicle into USA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's my situation...

I have a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim and I would like to take it with me to the States when I move down there on my K-1 visa. I'm a bit confused because I have read conflicting information on the process. My understanding is that I need a vehicle compliance letter from the manufacturer as well as the HS-7 form.

Are there any Canadians out there who have gone through this process? How much of a pain in the butt is it?

I called Chrysler and they told me they couldn't issue the letter until I could provide proof of immigration i.e. my K-1 visa. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm expecting to within the next few weeks. We want to move immediately, but the letter would take about a week to process apparently. I'd rather avoid it all together if it's not necessary so we can zip down to the States right away.

Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Janny

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I ended up selling my Nissan prior to coming to the USA. Nissan gave me the compliance letter free of charge with no hassles at all. Didn't ask to see any paperwork! Faxed it over to me free of charge!! I recall another Canadian VJ member having the same hassle with Chrysler!! Personally if they told me that, i would ask for a supervisor! Here is a few links:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import...anada07032.html

But ya need that compliance letter

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I imported my car without the manufacturer letter. All customs wanted with the VIN number and something to prove I was the registered owner (my insurance papers sufficed)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have been a few other VJ posters that didnt have the letter and I know when one tried to cross without it, they would not allow it!! Ended up having to spend time trying to get a vehicle broker??? Can't recall the whole story, but it was a real pain, because they didnt have the letter!! Like anyhting else with Immigration, its not always the same, all depends which POE you goto, and which POE officer you get

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Here's my situation...

I have a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim and I would like to take it with me to the States when I move down there on my K-1 visa. I'm a bit confused because I have read conflicting information on the process. My understanding is that I need a vehicle compliance letter from the manufacturer as well as the HS-7 form.

Are there any Canadians out there who have gone through this process? How much of a pain in the butt is it?

I called Chrysler and they told me they couldn't issue the letter until I could provide proof of immigration i.e. my K-1 visa. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm expecting to within the next few weeks. We want to move immediately, but the letter would take about a week to process apparently. I'd rather avoid it all together if it's not necessary so we can zip down to the States right away.

Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Janny

The following from U.S. Customs and Border Requirements for importing a vehicle or vehicle parts is good info:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

It's not imperative that you "import" the car when you cross the border. I didn't. I got myself settled, got my manufacturer's compliance letter from Hyundai by email and went to the local CBP office to "import" my car three months after entry.

You don't have to back to the border or airport. You can go to a more local office

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/ports/

Removal of Conditions

04-14-10 I751 Application sent

04-19-10 NOA1

06-01-10 Biometrics in Detroit

08-10-10 Card Production Order

08-24-10 Green Card Received

AOS Journey

10-06-07 POE Detroit

10-12-07 Married

10-19-07 Mailed AOS Package

10-24-07 AOS package delivered

10-29-07 NOA1 Date

11-07-07 Applied for SSN, Received within 2 weeks

12-11-07 Biometrics in Detroit

12-21-07 I-485 Transferred to CSC

12-31-07 I-765 Card Production Ordered; I-131 Approved

01-07-08 I-131 Received

01-10-08 I-765 Approval Notice Sent

01-12-08 I-765 Received

02-21-08 RFE - Medical

03-18-08 RFE returned

04-07-08 RFE received at CSC

07-15-08 Card Production Order

07-21-08 Green Card Received

K1 Journey

09-12-06 I129F Application sent

09-20-06 NOA1, Receipt Notice

01-22-07 NOA2, Approval Notice

02-08-07 Petition forwarded to Mtl

03-02-07 Pkg 3 Received

03-17-07 Pkg 3 Returned

08-15-07 Montreal Interview, APPROVED

09-11-07 Visa Received

Filed: Timeline

I imported my car and it was a breeze.... at the border. Where it got complicated was trying to register the vehicle. Check your State's DMV Website for registration information. Mine was a pain in the behind. But your car won't be in kilometers so at least you won't have that hassle to deal with.

You will be asked for the value of your car at Customs. Give them a low estimate in case you have to pay State tax when you register it. You will need to show them your ownership, so don't forget to bring that in. My local Tag Office (which is what they call the vehicle registration place), located in the Tax Collector's Office :blink: , chose to tax me on the Kelley Blue Book value, so you'll want to take a look at that site to give you a rough estimate of how much they'll ding you. Mind you, this was in the State of Florida. Some States don't charge you any taxes. Like One_Day says.... you can always go back and import your vehicle at a later date. You have up to a year.

Good luck!

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.