Inquiring Mind

Children Home Alone; Mom in Africa Getting Married

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This happened right here in Houston, Texas. I did not post this article to judge this mother and as we all know there are TWO-SIDES to every story. As a mother, my heart goes out to the children.

PART I

8 Children Left Home Alone

POSTED: 4:05 pm CST January 3, 2008

UPDATED: 6:08 pm CST January 3, 2008

HOUSTON,TX -- Eight children were found left alone in a northwest Harris County home and were placed in the custody of Child Protective Services, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

CPS officials said the children are 1, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, 15 and 16 years old.

The mother of six of the children may be in Africa getting married, according to authorities. She could face charges of child endangerment.

The children were found Wednesday night in a home in the 11000 block of Barker Grove at Barker Cypress.

Investigators said the mother left her 15-year-old daughter to take care of her other five children, along with two other children left in her care.

Harris County officials said the children had no money and barely any food, and said the mother was not planning on coming home any time soon.

"According to the children, the mother had been there two, three days ago and she left to go to Africa where she was supposed to be getting married. And she's supposedly going to be gone for the next one to two months," Sgt. Dana Mackey with the Harris County Sheriff's Department.

A CPS spokeswoman said the situation was uncovered after the 15-year-old crashed the van into the home's garage. Officials said she wanted to run away, fearing that her mother would punish her.

Instead, investigators said she called her counselor who contacted the sheriff's office.

"Pictures reflect there was an infestation of roaches crawling on the ceiling, crawling on the wall, crawling on the floor, food on the floor, dirty clothes throughout the home," Mackey said.

Officials said the children appeared to be malnourished.

"The 1-year-old was lethargic -- just unresponsive and we were able to get that child needed medical attention," Mackey said.

Neighbors said they had no idea.

"It just doesn't make any sense for a child to be treated like that -- malnutrition," neighbor Ruthie Thomas said. "It's sad. It's a sad situation. I believe if she needed help, she could have called someone."

"I just hope that something good comes out of this for everyone -- for the entire community and them," neighbor Jimmetta Coleman said.

Investigators said a man left his 3- and 4-year-old children in the care of the 15-year-old while he went to work. They said he knew the mother was out of the country. It has not been determined if he will face any charges.

PART II

Investigators Search For Mother Of 5 Left Home Alone

POSTED: 5:03 pm CST January 4, 2008

UPDATED: 5:11 pm CST January 4, 2008

HOUSTON, TX -- Investigators searched for more information on Friday about a mother accused of leaving her five children and two other children home alone in northwest Harris County while she flew to Nigeria, KPRC Local 2 reported.

The children were found Wednesday night in a home in the 11000 block of Barker Grove at Barker Cypress.

Investigators said the mother left her 15-year-old daughter to take care of four of her children, including a 1-year-old, along with two other children left in her care.

Harris County officials said the children had no money and barely any food, and said the mother was not planning on coming home any time soon. She flew to Nigeria to marry a man she met on the Internet, according to authorities.

Child Protective Services located the children's grandmother, who lives in New Orleans, and an aunt.

The children were placed in foster homes.

"I pray that all of the kids are with someone that's loving, caring and somebody that will really take care of them," neighbor Ruthie Thomas said.

Thomas said the mother told her a different story.

"She told me before that she was married and her husband was in Africa, and that she called him to come home because the oldest two kids, the oldest two sons, were giving her a lot of trouble," Thomas said.

CPS confirmed a case history with the 33-year-old mother because of domestic fights. However, CPS never took custody of the children. The mother has a total of eight children.

CPS said the mother told a social worker the status of the children's fathers was none of their business.

Police are considering charges against the father who left his 3- and 4-year-old children at the home with the teenager.

CPS officials said he thought an aunt was en route from New Orleans, but he did not check on his children for days.

Authorities said the mother was not employed so it's not known how she afforded a 3,000-square-foot home.

The mother did not leave any contact information with neighbors or her family, officials said.

Source: Click2Houston.com

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I heard about this. So sad that a man was more important to the woman than her own children. I can't believe someone would really do that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Ummm....how does this thread have ANYTHING to do with Adjustment of Status? This belongs on CNN not here.

Application For Naturalization (N-400)

01/10/2013 - Packet Sent to Phoenix Lockbox

01/16/2013 - NOA & Check Cashed

02/06/2013 - Biometrics Appt

04/16/2013 - Interview - Approval Recommendation!

04/23/2013 - Placed in the Oath Ceremony Queue

05/16/2013 - Received letter showing Oath Ceremony date

06/12/2013 - Oath Ceremony

06/12/2013 - U.S. Citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What type of man would marry a women like this?

i do not think the OP ment to post this topic under the Adjustment of Status Catagory. I remember when I first post i did not consider where i clicked post would put the topic in that catagory. I was just like.

I heard about this. So sad that a man was more important to the woman than her own children. I can't believe someone would really do that.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Long distance relationships make you go crazy... that is about the only thing to explain it.

If she didn't work, I wonder how she afforded a 3000 sq ft home, and a flight to Africa. I guess it was at the childrens expense :(

12140.gif

The kids should definitely be taken away and the dad going along with it?????? #######. :angry: Someone needs to go to jail too.

I'll jump on the judging band wagon. I could see if she left the family with money and food..... almost.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Wow I don't even have children but I don't see how someone could do this. Horrible really. It will be interesting to find out how she had to the money for the house and flight with no job. Now that she's in Nigeria I wonder if she will even return to the US if she thinks she is facing charges and prison time? Keep us updated on the story if you can!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Wow I don't even have children but I don't see how someone could do this. Horrible really. It will be interesting to find out how she had to the money for the house and flight with no job. Now that she's in Nigeria I wonder if she will even return to the US if she thinks she is facing charges and prison time? Keep us updated on the story if you can!

I'm sure she collected her winnings from the Nigerian lottery already. ;)

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Ummm....how does this thread have ANYTHING to do with Adjustment of Status? This belongs on CNN not here.

I'm a newbie at posting, so please accept my apologies for posting this article in the wrong forum. :unsure:

Thanks Mrs. Jibowu for your positive comment.

I'll keep you all posted on the storyline (and I will try to post it in the correct forum next time). :thumbs:

LadyJ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Long distance relationships make you go crazy... that is about the only thing to explain it.

No, it's called severe neglect & abuse.

Which apparently began long before the woman left for Nigeria :angry:

I'm also wondering what happened to her sixth child between the first article and the second :unsure:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007