LadyShaly

Visiting my BF in US for 3 months?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I lost my job in Dec and I've not had any success in getting a new one. My boyfriend that lives in NC suggested I come visit him for 3 months and then I can return to Canada and look for a job then (really hard to get a job after Christmas here).

I'd have to give up my appartment because of the lease agreement, but could change my address to my sister or my parents (I'd also be staying with them when I got back until I found another appartment).

I know US border wants proof of ties to Canada. My stuff would all be in storage, along with my car. Would receipts of that be enough cause to come back? And also, the most important one, my daughter would not be travelling with me. She'd be staying with my parents and her dad. If I brought a copy of her Birth Certificate and the receipts I mentioned along with a round trip ticket would that be enough?

Any advice and tips on border crossing would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Bank statements, credit cards and any other financial ties to canada could help. If you have a formal custody agreement with your ex that may help. It would show perhaps that you have partial or full custody with of your child and do not intend to leave her in Canada forever.

The customs agent once asked me if i was of aware of the immigration process and I told him that I was and briefly explained K1 and K3 visas.

Good luck!

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

If you have a formal custody agreement with your ex that may help. It would show perhaps that you have partial or full custody with of your child and do not intend to leave her in Canada forever.

No nothing on paper between my ex and I. We share custody of her equally and have had some difficulty putting it on paper... pretty much he wants full custody and won't budge. One of the reasons for this trip is for me to visit my boyfriend and start establishing a place to bring her once and if we do decide to apply for the K1 Visa. I would have an agreement with my parents to ensure that my ex isn't able to sue me for abandonment when I leave (he likes threatening to sue me for all kinds of things). They would essentially be holding onto my side of the custody arrangement while I was gone.

I know not to volunteer things like me not having an apartment or the fact that I don't have a job but I won't lie about them either. I've never been asked that when crossing before but I've never taken a trip this long. Usually it's just, where you from, where you going, when you coming back?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definetely dont give out info if you are not asked. Maybe if you havent already, get something in writing with your parents saying that you are going to return and they will care for your child for only 3 months. They most likely wont ask for anything but its better to be safe than sorry.

If you have a formal custody agreement with your ex that may help. It would show perhaps that you have partial or full custody with of your child and do not intend to leave her in Canada forever.

No nothing on paper between my ex and I. We share custody of her equally and have had some difficulty putting it on paper... pretty much he wants full custody and won't budge. One of the reasons for this trip is for me to visit my boyfriend and start establishing a place to bring her once and if we do decide to apply for the K1 Visa. I would have an agreement with my parents to ensure that my ex isn't able to sue me for abandonment when I leave (he likes threatening to sue me for all kinds of things). They would essentially be holding onto my side of the custody arrangement while I was gone.

I know not to volunteer things like me not having an apartment or the fact that I don't have a job but I won't lie about them either. I've never been asked that when crossing before but I've never taken a trip this long. Usually it's just, where you from, where you going, when you coming back?

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Are you and your boyfriend engaged and have you started the K1 process, I don't see anything that would lead me to believe you have started the immigration process. If your boyfriend isn't your fiancée the only problem would be what story to tell that would require you being in the states for 3 months. I'm sure I'm missing something but what.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Here's a link to some helpful suggestions. Good luck, and have fun! Can I Visit FAQ's

Thanks, I've looked through VJ before but never come across that... definately going in my bookmarks! My main concern is not having an apartment or a job while I'm gone. Never thought of getting a letter from the BF saying he'll support me while I stay either.

Are you and your boyfriend engaged and have you started the K1 process, I don't see anything that would lead me to believe you have started the immigration process. If your boyfriend isn't your fiancée the only problem would be what story to tell that would require you being in the states for 3 months. I'm sure I'm missing something but what.

We are engaged but have not filed any paperwork. One of the reasons is I'm unsure whether I'll really like it down there or not. He's been here, now it's my turn to go there. Then when that's sorted we'll apply to the appropriate immigration office. But no paperwork has been submitted at this point. Can I not just tell them at the crossing that I'm visiting him for 3 months? Or am I better off getting a return ticket for say 2 weeks and then changing it to a later date once I'm there?

Here's a link to some helpful suggestions. Good luck, and have fun! Can I Visit FAQ's

Thanks, I've looked through VJ before but never come across that... definately going in my bookmarks! My main concern is not having an apartment or a job while I'm gone. Never thought of getting a letter from the BF saying he'll support me while I stay either.

You are welcome. :thumbs: And, yes..... that link is very well hidden. We should get the Captain to make it more visible, methinks.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

We are engaged but have not filed any paperwork. One of the reasons is I'm unsure whether I'll really like it down there or not. He's been here, now it's my turn to go there. Then when that's sorted we'll apply to the appropriate immigration office. But no paperwork has been submitted at this point. Can I not just tell them at the crossing that I'm visiting him for 3 months? Or am I better off getting a return ticket for say 2 weeks and then changing it to a later date once I'm there?

answer their questions truthfully.... but don't volunteer more info then what is asked....

if they ask, I would tell them you are going for 3 months, because that is what you are going to do..

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not having filed means you are not in their system as a beneficiary of a visa of any kind from a petitioner in this case your fianceé. That makes you a no threat of staying forever in the States visitor. All they need to know is that you want to visit the States and you will be there with a friend or friends enjoying the sites just don't say "boy" friend. You will be travelling as a tourist as many others do. It is once you are in the K visa system that all the questions you fear will be asked and the paperwork will be required. Go and have fun moving to the States is no worse than moving on your own from Vancouver to Toronto

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

So when I tell them I'm visiting friends in the US for 3 months odds are they won't ask me all the questions and proof etc etc? Should I bring the paperwork just in case? I'm going to bring copies of my daughter's stuff regardless, I don't like travelling without it.

If from some reason I'm denied because I didn't bring enough proof with me how long do I have to wait before trying again?

Not having filed means you are not in their system as a beneficiary of a visa of any kind from a petitioner in this case your fianceé. That makes you a no threat of staying forever in the States visitor. All they need to know is that you want to visit the States and you will be there with a friend or friends enjoying the sites just don't say "boy" friend. You will be travelling as a tourist as many others do. It is once you are in the K visa system that all the questions you fear will be asked and the paperwork will be required. Go and have fun moving to the States is no worse than moving on your own from Vancouver to Toronto

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

if they ask, i would be honest and tell them you are going to visit your boyfriend....

because what would happen if they somehow found out that you were.. trust me you don't want to lie to them....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I first came down to see Mel- it was a 2 week ticket and I ended up staying 6 months. You can phone the airline while in the US and say you won't be using the return flight yet- they will tell you it will be a charge to change the date and will tell you how long you have to use the credit for it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Really all you can do is show up with whatever you can muster for proof, tell the truth and hope you don't get turned back. I think all the suggestions for proof are helpful and a letter from your parents can't hurt, as mentioned.

Unfortunately there is no magic answer here (I really mean that, not saying it in a mean way), there is no surefire set of documents. As you have read though, many people here have crossed the border many times to see their fiance(e)'s and done it successfully.

Get every document you can think of.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.