Trumplestiltskin

What credit crunch? Club launches £35,000 cocktail

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Economists may be warning of tough times ahead and homeowners fretting about the state of the property market, but one London nightclub remains undeterred. Today, it will launch the world's most expensive Christmas cocktail, costing £35,000 a glass.

The Movida nightclub, a hangout of celebrities, footballers and the super-rich, has already taken a small number of orders for the drink, named the Flawless.

The cocktail consists of a large measure of Louis XII cognac, half a bottle of Cristal Rose champagne, some brown sugar, angostura bitters and a few flakes of 24-carat edible gold leaf. The drink is described as warming and refreshing, but that is not the main reason for the exorbitant cost: at the bottom of the crystal glass is an 11-carat white diamond ring.

Customers will also be treated to an unusual floorshow. The drink will be mixed in the presence of two security guards, who will then watch over the client's table until it is finished.

"They're definitely paying for the show as well," said Ed Rollason the Movida's bar manager. "And they'll have the attention of everyone else in the bar." Among the first to order the drink was Max Reigns, 28, a property developer and manager. He intends to give it to his girlfriend for Christmas.

"I just thought it would be a nice thing to do for her. She has so many other things." Asked whether he couldn't think of a better use for £35,000, he replied: "It's about the same as a holiday, isn't it?"

According to What Car? £35,000 would buy a Porsche Boxster Open and still leave you with plenty of change for the glove compartment. Alternatively, it would get you just short of 31,500 shares in the troubled mortgage-lender Northern Rock, according to prices yesterday afternoon.

As an annual income, £35,000 is more than about three quarters of the workforce earns in a year.

Others treated news of the drink as further evidence of the spending power and irresponsibility of the super-rich. "It's like sticking two fingers up at the rest of society," said the Labour MP Sion Simon. "You might as well set fire to your money in front of those less well-off. It's a very deliberate way of saying 'We are not part of the same country as you.'"

The drink will appeal to "the stupid segment of the super-rich", said the social commentator Peter York. "It is so gauche, so crashingly crass, that everyone else will see the buyers as barely literate, as one step up from a potato.

"It will be one of those things that unite both the middle class and the old rich in a belief that the super-rich come out of some kind of primeval ooze."

Nor did the cocktail appeal to others in the drinks industry. "It sounds pretty revolting and most people I know wouldn't spend as much as £2.50 on it," said Tim Martin, chairman of the JD Wetherspoon pub chain. "They'd be better off with a pint of Abbot Ale."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2007/dec/0...rs.creditcrunch

"It will be one of those things that unite both the middle class and the old rich in a belief that the super-rich come out of some kind of primeval ooze."

LMFAO! Now thats one helluva drink! :lol:

Are you supposed to drink the diamond, like a worm?

Good point! If you did, no one could refer to you as a 'worthless sack of $h!t' :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hi,

I read the same in Indian newspapers. I wont spend that much money. Not even a 1pound to tell truth. Its better I put that much money into a bank and have drinks all my life for each and new year party to come in the future.

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

Ahhh I know where I'm spending my second mortgage.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG