pedroh

Christian groups slam new Kidman children's movie

123 posts in this topic

I haven't read the book, but I'm actually a little inclined to the side of the protesters....the book basically was about killing the God of Christianity because he'd gone aged and demented, where the church tortured children, and heaven was a lie, just a place where you wandered around sad being tortured by harpies. That said, it's reported that they've kept a lot of it out of the movie.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

well, my wife told me is criticizing the church as a human institution, rather than religion itself.. and I know a lot of people like those books..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I haven't read the book, but I'm actually a little inclined to the side of the protesters....the book basically was about killing the God of Christianity because he'd gone aged and demented, where the church tortured children, and heaven was a lie, just a place where you wandered around sad being tortured by harpies. That said, it's reported that they've kept a lot of it out of the movie.

They only complain because they don't like the message. Personally I think its rather pointless getting bent out of shape by a book - considering that people are going to read it and make up their own minds anyway. Whenever some group tries to control the discourse on something like this - it invariably backfires on them. Same thing with censorship - the controversy only increases demand.

Lets not forget that the same folks laud C.S. Lewis for the opposite reason; as well as J.R.R. Tolkien.

Edited by Number 6

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Guess what. Agnostics have been persecuted by Christians for centuries. We have every right to say that the Christian idea of God is flawed and failing society, because it is.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

The book could blatantly say that Christianity was evil. That doesn't change the fact that these protesters are afraid if kids are exposed to another viewpoint, they'll abandon the religion. STFU Catholic League. I read the Chronicles of Narnia and didn't start worshipping Jesus; I think these kids will be ok.

Timeline

Guess what. Agnostics have been persecuted by Christians for centuries. We have every right to say that the Christian idea of God is flawed and failing society, because it is.

I think we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that this is a series of fiction books, nothing more. What the author believes is not necessarily what 'we' believe, but he has the right to write what he wants, and include whatever message he wants. He doesn't have any control over how others read and perceive his books. He also doesn't have any control over whether others use his books in a political way - but I think those who do are really missing the point.

I don't feel threatened by his message, any more than I did by C.S. Lewis.

Edited by Number 6

The book could blatantly say that Christianity was evil. That doesn't change the fact that these protesters are afraid if kids are exposed to another viewpoint, they'll abandon the religion. STFU Catholic League. I read the Chronicles of Narnia and didn't start worshipping Jesus; I think these kids will be ok.

Sure, and I'd agree they'll be fine. But I don't think that makes it any less of an insult (as opposed to worrying that Harry Potter is teaching real magic, which is just dumb, or that the Da Vinci Code was actually interesting). If the book were about Jews torturing children, I think we'd be right to regard it as anti-Semitic.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sure, and I'd agree they'll be fine. But I don't think that makes it any less of an insult (as opposed to worrying that Harry Potter is teaching real magic, which is just dumb, or that the Da Vinci Code was actually interesting). If the book were about Jews torturing children, I think we'd be right to regard it as anti-Semitic.

You've gotta read these books. Quite well written, on top of everything. You'll see that it's a critique of the church as something human beings have constructed, for the most part. It's critical of a powerful institution and the belief system it promotes, not an ethnic and minority group (Jews).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Actually, it is not that clear cut.... Lyra's dad is a scholar who decides to wage war on Authority and kill him. The Authority is NOT God. The Angels who rebelled against the Authority long time before now gather to help Lyra's father in his cause, protect Lyra and reveal the secret to her: There is no God, only a powerful angel who wanted power and who declared himself Authority. However, he is old and on the verge of "death" and the actual rule and power are in the hands of his main Archangel warrior.

The books are absolutely amazing, extremely complex and for me personally come before both Harry Potter and Narnia. If anything, they will hopefully inspire kids to think about things more deeply. More important is that books also question what it means to grow up and the power of love and trust.....

Edited by ivona

Naturalized! Yeah!

.png

Timeline

Maybe - but its hardly fair to make that determination without actually read the book.

LOTR (one of my favorite books as a kid) is consistently voted a people's favorite in various book lists, but that doesn't change that there are some fascistic subtexts in there about racial purity.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My step-daughter's Lutheran school sent home a copy of this from Snopes a few weeks ago. The concern seems to be that seeing the film wil lead children to read the book. The books seemingly get more anti-religious as the series progressives.

I have no problem with children getting different perspectives. You can't shield people from things that exist, such as nasty atheists. Whatever, our kid has no desire to see it anyway.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We discussed this movie in church on Sunday, in the context of understanding the roots of the movie. Many people thought "hey, this is going to be a neat movie to take our kids to see" until they heard what the books are all about. The author has made no bones about how his beliefs show up in his books and about why he wrote them.

I have no problem exposing my future children to differing viewpoints, alternative worldviews, etc. because becoming a Christian is a personal choice, one I cannot force them into, I cannot live their lives for them. With that being said, I have a responsibility to be educated on what I am exposing them to. This is no ordinary kid's movie -- you'd never know it by the trailer, when I saw it I was interested in it as well. Now, after doing some independent research, I am not so sure if I want to see it. And before someone slams me, yes I have read all the Harry Potter books, and got mad when Christian parents got all up in arms about them. This movie for me is a different kettle of fish.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
You can't shield people from things that exist, such as nasty atheists.

:crying:

That should have said "nasty atheists ;)" I forget that the sarcasm in my voice doesn't translate. And I hate smilies.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones