parinita

HELP PLS!!! typo on certified copy of birth certificate

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello to everyone,

I found a certified copy of my birth certificate with a typo in where it says "place of birth" just a minor spelling mistake(they missied a letter "A"). do you think that for that I would get DS-230 RFE for that?

my place of birth speeling is just a little different in my passport and therefore in all the forms that we sent to NVC and whole immigration process.

just to make sure...the certified copy of birth certificare is that the one that is in english and is notirized by a lawyer right?

please clarify this issue for me pls..

thank you all in advance,

pari

Timeline
hello to everyone,

I found a certified copy of my birth certificate with a typo in where it says "place of birth" just a minor spelling mistake(they missied a letter "A"). do you think that for that I would get DS-230 RFE for that?

my place of birth speeling is just a little different in my passport and therefore in all the forms that we sent to NVC and whole immigration process.

just to make sure...the certified copy of birth certificare is that the one that is in english and is notirized by a lawyer right?

please clarify this issue for me pls..

thank you all in advance,

pari

Hi Pari,

I wouldn't worry about the typo on the certificate, personally.

As for the certified copy - it depends on which country your birth certificate is from. An 'original' for Canada is the one we get from the registry office.

Which country were you born in?

Timeline

hey Trailmix,

thanks a lot for the response.

I was born in India. so if it's not a certified copy then is it still ok to send it with the original one? even though it has got typo on it?

thank a lot for helping me out.

pari

Timeline
hey Trailmix,

thanks a lot for the response.

I was born in India. so if it's not a certified copy then is it still ok to send it with the original one? even though it has got typo on it?

thank a lot for helping me out.

pari

No problem pari, Ok, so for India the following applies:

Birth Certificates

Available. Prior to l970, the reporting of births was voluntary. Birth certificates of Europeans, Anglo-Indians, Armenian Christians, Jews and Parsis born prior to l970 may be obtained from the State Registrar General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. No standard or uniform certificate is issued by the authorities. In addition, acceptable certificates may often be obtained from the municipal and rural registration records, which are maintained under the state laws. Europeans, Anglo-Indians, and Indian Christians are usually able to obtain church baptismal certificates.

Under the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of l969, births are required to be registered in almost all of the States and Union Territories of India. Birth certificates are available to any applicant born on or after April l, l970, upon payment of a nominal fee to the appropriate authority.

So that outlines what you need, if this is what you have you are good to go. I would absolutely send it with the typo.

Worst case scenario, they will send you an RFE - I honestly don't think this will happen btw. You might want to get the ball rolling to have the government office correct the birth certificate though, so you can take it with you to the interview and just to be on the safe side :)

That said, I really don't think it is going to be a problem :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.