one...two...tree

US Students Lag in Science, Math

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Learning should not be a chore, as soon as it becomes one, you've lost.

That's ridiculous. Learning is hard work -- it's silly to suggest otherwise.

The world belongs to the self-disciplined. Children should form the habit of doing

things they don’t like, otherwise they'll have problems later in life.

Well said. I agree with that.

Edit: Learning should be challenging.

Edited by Mister Fancypants

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

The world belongs to the self-disciplined. Children should form the habit of doing

Well said. I agree with that.

Me too. My dad always told me that. I used to skip hw assignments if I didn't like them, he always told me that wasn't a choice. Some chores you just gotta do. Getting "turned off" isn't an option.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

but little johnny still should get an A :crying:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

LOL when I was young (in India, 5th grade) I remember a teacher telling me I get a 40/100 in General Science means I'm a "donkey" (i.e. I'm stupid). I sulked for months, I wouldn't study after that. Heck, I'm a donkey ####### is the point? Heehawww! Anyway so my parents got me into private tutoring for the stuff and I picked it up quick. Sometimes you need different strategies for different kids but the key is to not let them give up.

If the teacher hadn't given me that 40/100, I probably would have never gotten the extra help I needed.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

That's a whole other argument. The grades given in elementary school should be primarily a reflection of the children's proficiency more than anything. The report cards do reflect that. So little johnny would still show A's on his test scores, while only a C for not turning in all his homework.

Not every parent has an hour to spend with their child every night helping them with homework.
If you don't have one hour to spend with your child, maybe you should reconsider having children?
I think the problem isn't the time to spend with the kids, but that the school does a half-assed job of teaching and then sends the kids home to learn it from their parents. It's like all those science projects where you can tell the kids that won had mom or dad do it for them, except it's daily homework. And if the kid doesn't learn, it just must be because his parents aren't any good.
:pop:
Cute. But if the curriculum says that the kids are in school seven hours a day and need to do four hours of homework in first grade, that's bad curriculum design. Probably not be the fault of the teacher, who has to put up with a lot of external regulation. But if we were getting better results thirty years ago with less homework, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's just possible that the newest requirements aren't actually reasonable.

I'm not sure why we expect parents to be school teachers. We should expect them to make sure their kid does the homework, and have a quiet place to do it, but that's not at all what homework looks like.

:thumbs::yes: Curriculum has changed over the last 40 years...I seriously doubt parents have changed all that much...something isn't working.
Want to take a stab at comparing the number of two parent households 40 years ago vs. today and maybe the percentage of households with one major breadwinner and one homemaker then and now? The American family - or broader: the American household - has undergone dramatic changes over the last 40 years and I suspect that these dramatic changes yield a good bit of the explanation for today's student achievement or lack thereof.

That doesn't explain the extra homework in wealthy districts with stay-at-home moms and careerist dads, which is actually where a lot of the trend of overparenting is happening. Plus, 30 years ago, your mom wasn't told that part of her 'job' in ensuring 'your child's academic success' was to spend four hours a night drilling you in new math. There have been societal changes, but NCLB is a bad law and it isn't working.

Did I say anything to the contrary?

Clearly you don't have kids :lol:

Young kids learn intuitively, that's their job, that's what they do. If they learn things without realising they are learning, they learn it easily, it's not consciously difficult.

That's not to say they have a life of ease, or that they don't have to do things they don't like. They should and they do. However, making school learning more difficult than it needs to be, or more boring than it needs to be is really just giving the teacher work they don't need.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Young kids learn intuitively, that's their job, that's what they do. If they learn things without realising they are learning, they learn it easily, it's not consciously difficult.

There's only so much you can learn without realizing you're learning.

It's also deceptive. There's nothing wrong with telling the kids straight out

what you think they should learn. Why do you assume they're not going to

like learning if they knew what they were doing? Just because you don't

like it, doesn't mean they don't. Perhaps you're the one who needs the help?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Help with what exactly? Not sure I follow you.

I am all for learning, I just don't believe that it should be made out to be harder than it needs to be, or that it should be a drudge. Many things can be learned in a way that is fun and in so doing, the learning is easier on everyone. Why do you want it be be boring or a chore?

One example, a kid who reads a lot learns how to spell and how to use grammar without having to sit and learn lists. They can be fine tuned but they have learned most of it without knowing they are doing it.

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
Help with what exactly? Not sure I follow you.

I am all for learning, I just don't believe that it should be made out to be harder than it needs to be, or that it should be a drudge. Many things can be learned in a way that is fun and in so doing, the learning is easier on everyone. Why do you want it be be boring or a chore?

One example, a kid who reads a lot learns how to spell and how to use grammar without having to sit and learn lists. They can be fine tuned but they have learned most of it without knowing they are doing it.

But learning isn't just on a cognitive level. Developing habits of self discipline is also a form of learning.

LOL when I was young (in India, 5th grade) I remember a teacher telling me I get a 40/100 in General Science means I'm a "donkey" (i.e. I'm stupid). I sulked for months, I wouldn't study after that. Heck, I'm a donkey ####### is the point? Heehawww! Anyway so my parents got me into private tutoring for the stuff and I picked it up quick. Sometimes you need different strategies for different kids but the key is to not let them give up.

If the teacher hadn't given me that 40/100, I probably would have never gotten the extra help I needed.

#######? you should have been proud...a donkey/burro is a noble beast..i hope the teacher got stoned too death

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Developing habits of self discipline is also a form of learning.

It is but it doesn't have to be associated with homework at elementary level. Within the home there are many, many opportunities to learn self discipline. Why would I want a child to associate "I have to do this because I need to learn self discipline" with something that should be fun, like reading and Math?

• 5 months later...
But learning isn't just on a cognitive level. Developing habits of self discipline is also a form of learning.

Learning falls into three categories: objective, cognitive, and constructivism. Let's not fprget about the Einstein Factor. Albert was told he would amount to nothing in school.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony