st1

How long does it take for an alien husband to come work in the US (married to US citizen)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all. Here is the situation.

I am French. My wife is American (born American) and we married 7 years ago (in the US). My son was born in the US (he's American and also French), and my daughter was born in France (she is also American and French). We have been living in France for the last 6 years.

We are now thinking of relocating to the US to be closer to my wife's family.

I already found a company there wiling to hire me. We anticipate my wife would not be working. So I (ie me, the alien) would be the one earning the income for the household.

I am just at the beginning of understanding the process. Can you give me any advices on what needs to be done in order to get us there as soon as possible? Are we looking at a long process or is there some options to get us there quickly. Thanks! ;)

I am French. My wife is American (born American) and we married 7 years ago (in the US). My son was born in the US (he's American and also French), and my daughter was born in France (she is also American and French). We have been living in France for the last 6 years.

I already found a company there wiling to hire me. We anticipate my wife would not be working. So I (ie me, the alien) would be the one earning the income for the household.

I am just at the beginning of understanding the process. Can you give me any advices on what needs to be done in order to get us there as soon as possible? Are we looking at a long process or is there some options to get us there quickly. Thanks! ;)

It sounds like you can file for DCF-direct consular filing. As long as your wife can prove domicile in the US, this is the way to go. Not sure about France, but I think on average DCF takes approximately 6 months. Since you would be filing for an IR-1, you would be able to work upon entering the US. HTH

June 1, 2007: I-130 delivered at Embassy

June 1, 2007: Received packet 3

June 10,2007: Sent DS-230 part 1 by email

July 26, 2007: Applied for SVK police cert. at embassy in Warsaw

July 27, 2007: Applied/Received Polish police certificate.

August 7, 2007: Applied for CZK police certificate at embassy in Warsaw

September 5, 2007: Received SVK police certificate

September 5, 2007: Medical examination

September 13, 2007: Received CZK police certificate

September 14, 2007: Emailed form IV/F04 (checklist) to embassy saying we have all documents and are ready for interview.

September 28, 2007: Received email saying they couldn't open the attachment so I sent IV/F04/checklist by fax.

October 10, 2007: Received email confirming they have received fax

October 16, 2007: Received Packet 4

November 15, 2007: Interview, (had to have two police certs translated to English instead of Polish)

November 16, 2007: Two police cert. brought to embassy. Visa approved!!!!!

November 19, 2007: Visa in hand.

March 23, 2008: POE Chicago, IL

Filed: Timeline

As far as the I-864 is concerned, has your US wife been working/earning while in France, and if so has she reported that income on US tax returns and could she meet the poverty guideline benchmark with her income?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As far as the I-864 is concerned, has your US wife been working/earning while in France, and if so has she reported that income on US tax returns and could she meet the poverty guideline benchmark with her income?

OP said she would not be working in the US, so unlikely to be a job transfer avaliable, but best to post in the DCF forum.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.