one...two...tree

Electoral Plan Could Sway '08 Vote

22 posts in this topic

I always thought the same!

The main issue on hand is the power grab for each states. The electoral college is to make sure that the Large state don't end up with all the favors compare to states with a smaller population.

Without the electoral college, With a popular Vote the candidate basically would just have to concentrate on the most populous states leaving out states like Idaho, a lot of other states in the midwest into Limbo.

The main fix I beleive is to get rid off the lobbyist money, the corporate financing of the elections. Back in College I wrote and essay on my polical sciencs class, the professor mentioned it's a great vision but it's a Dream, NOBODY in congress would let that happen:

As part of our income tax we have the option to give $3 to the election fund, my idea is to Increase that amount to $10, with that in Mind. NO POLITICIAN should accept corporate campain money, the election SHOULD be finance exclusively by the Election committee. As such when the president is elected, his major concern would be toward the people who voted him there, NOT THE CORPORATIONS, right now This country is run by the corporation, we are only pawn in the big game, The corporations will decide which Democrat Or Republican we have to vote for President.

There will never be a true CAMPAIN FINANCE reform coming out of washington, since NONE of those Senators, Congressman, Congresswoman will be willing to give up those fat checks, those Job promises after they leave washington.

I am in favor of a straight popular vote. The electoral college was established in a time when most people were uneducated and it was thought they couldn't make an informed vote. Times change and so does this.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The other reason the EC exists is to make sure smaller, less populated regions of the country don't get ignored. How will those of you who propose a straight 1-citizen-1-vote system account for that problem?

Note the tall towers of blue. In a straight system, they will be all that matters.

3d_viewpoint0.gif

One more point: if you scrap the EC, assuming you plan to keep the Senate as is (each state gets 2 members), then that'll create a lot of incentive for states with smaller populations but large areas to split up into many, even smaller, states.

Excellent points. :yes:

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I am in favor of a straight popular vote. The electoral college was established in a time when most people were uneducated and it was thought they couldn't make an informed vote. Times change and so does this.

Are you sure they can now? :whistle:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
The other reason the EC exists is to make sure smaller, less populated regions of the country don't get ignored. How will those of you who propose a straight 1-citizen-1-vote system account for that problem?

To be honest, I never understood this argument. Why should less populated regions be represented

on a par with densely populated regions? A region is only as important as the number of people

living there.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

To be honest, I never understood this argument. Why should less populated regions be represented

on a par with densely populated regions? A region is only as important as the number of people

living there.

The answer to that question lies in the name of this nation - United States of America.

Remember? We're supposed to be an alliance of states.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

living there.

that's assuming densely populated regions can be considered important ;)

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Are you sure they can now? :whistle:
Good question considering that the US (with high literacy rate, presumably educated and informed) voted in a C-grade (some might say D-grade) movie actor as president whereas in India (which as I mentioned, has a massive roll of illiterate--certainly uneducated, likely uninformed--voters; and unquestionably the world's largest entertainment industry) actors have become MP's and even state Chief Ministers (oops, almost forgot, Reagan was also the exact equivalent of this earlier as governor of CA) but none have yet been president or Prime Minister.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.