mawilson

Muslims support suicide bombings.... a little less than before

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

"Muslims increasingly oppose suicide bombings"

Do they not realise how ridiculous that sounds? How about

"Law-abiding citizens increasingly disapprove of rapists and mass murderers"

Anyway - here's the article from The Times. Pay attention to the numbers of Muslims worldwide who DO support suicide bombings.

--mawilson

Muslims increasingly oppose suicide bombings

Muslims_Graphic_191848a.jpg

Muslims increasingly reject Osama bin Laden and oppose suicide bombings but also

regard the United States as a growing threat to their own security, according to a new

international opinion poll.

The findings suggest that the Islamic world wants to turn its back on both sides in the

War on Terror, and do not indicate that America is winning hearts and minds in the

Middle East or beyond.

Instead, the Pew Institute’s Global Attitudes survey shows increasing Muslim hostility

towards violent extremism, particularly in countries that have witnessed its bloody

consequences first hand. These include Lebanon, where the proportion of those who

say suicide bombing is often or sometimes justified has fallen from 74 per cent in 2002

to 34 per cent.

There have also been sharp falls in support for such terrorism in Bangladesh, Pakistan,

Jordan and Indonesia, all of which have suffered suicide bomb attacks in recent years.

In the past five years there has been a similar marked reduction in support for bin Laden,

the leader of al-Qaeda. In Jordan, this has shrunk from 56 per cent to 20 per cent, in

Indonesia from 59 per cent to 41 per cent, in Lebanon from 20 per cent to just 1 per cent

while even in Pakistan – where he is thought to be hiding – the proportion backing him

has dropped from 46 per cent to 38 per cent.

The exception in this survey were the Palestinian Territories where 70 per cent of people

say suicide bombing can often or usually be justified — and only 6 per cent say “never”.

Although backing for bin Laden has fallen by 15 per cent, he still maintains the confidence

of the majority with 57 per cent support.

The Pew Institute report suggested that globally, economic growth and stability were closely

tied to a sense of personal well-being. But there was little evidence to sustain theories that

the economy might have a similar beneficial effect on support for terrorism.

In Lebanon, economic confidence has plummeted following the military clash with Israel but

Muslims are still less likely to support either bin Laden or Hezbollah.

Palestinian support for suicide bombing appears to be fairly uniform across all income levels.

Large majorities of Islamic people in Asia and the Middle East worry that the US could become

a military threat to their countries. Such findings may lend support to the views of the British

Government, among others, that President Bush’s language about the War on Terror and

Islamic extremism have persuaded many Muslims that they are in the cross-hairs of the

American military.

The report says that “Muslims in Bangladesh and Morocco are almost unanimous in their

concern” about the military threat from the US, with more than 90 per cent in each saying

they were very or somewhat worried. So are 85 per cent of Indonesians.

Turkey – a member of Nato – has 77 per cent of its population expressing similar fears, while

73 per cent are concerned in Pakistan and the Palestinian territories.

Even in Kuwait, a country liberated by the US in the first Gulf War, 63 per cent of people are worried.

The belief that the US might pose a military threat varies among people of different faiths

in Lebanon and Malaysia. Nearly two-thirds of Lebanese Muslims fear that America may

become a military threat to their country, compared with 41 per cent of Christians. In Malaysia,

Muslims are considerably more likely than Buddhists to see the US as a potential threat.

Source

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that a rather high percentage of those Muslims surveyed in Bangladesh must have been in "designated" (for Biharis aka "East mohajir) camps--as Bengalis seldom supported any such.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Scary but not really surprising numbers of people who still approve of suicide bombings. You really have to keep in mind, that these people have a totally different way of thinking and living. I think it is hard for anyone in the western world to understand it.

Good thing is though, that it seems they are changing their way of thinking into the right direction.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Wow!!! A lot support it though. hmmmmm

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Interesting, but I'm not sure how many conclusions you can draw about Islam per se by looking at Middle East political problems any more than you could draw conclusions about oh, American Catholics and their support of Ireland's independence movement or evangelical Christians by asking how many approve of brutal torture like Abu Ghraib. I bet if you were to poll Americans whether torture was often justifiable or pre-emptive nuclear war was *never* justifiable you'd see similar percentages. And I don't think it would be right to blame it on Christianity, but on politics.

Nevertheless, I'm glad the grassroots support for suicide bombing is dying.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline
Scary but not really surprising numbers of people who still approve of suicide bombings. You really have to keep in mind, that these people have a totally different way of thinking and living. I think it is hard for anyone in the western world to understand it.

I'm not even trying to understand it, but these stats come from the same people that

keep telling us that Muslims shouldn't be all tarred with the same brush, that suicide

bombers are an aberration, that the majority of Muslims are law-abiding and condemn

the attacks, and that Islam is really a religion of peace. Well, guess what? It's bull #######.

Anywhere from 30 to 50% of all Muslims support terrorist bombers.

If the so-called "moderate Muslims" wish to avoid being tarred with the same extremist

brush, perhaps they should stop supporting the terrorists? Or is it too much to ask?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

How about the millions of Muslims that live in Africa, Europe and the USA?

I guess their views don't count :unsure:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

I'm not even trying to understand it, but these stats come from the same people that

keep telling us that Muslims shouldn't be all tarred with the same brush, that suicide

bombers are an aberration, that the majority of Muslims are law-abiding and condemn

the attacks, and that Islam is really a religion of peace. Well, guess what? It's bull #######.

Anywhere from 30 to 50% of all Muslims support terrorist bombers.

If the so-called "moderate Muslims" wish to avoid being tarred with the same extremist

brush, perhaps they should stop supporting the terrorists? Or is it too much to ask?

They didn't poll Muslims in Europe, the U.S., or Africa. There's a billion of them on the planet, and they polled the ones in war zones. And support of suicide bombings tracks war (i.e. Palestine vs. Indonesia).

Plus 'often or sometimes justified'.... I think a lot can be swept under that question.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

African Muslims don't count, they are just as bad; European and American Muslims

do count, and I'm sure that very few of them support suicide bombers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

African Muslims don't count, they are just as bad; European and American Muslims

do count, and I'm sure that very few of them support suicide bombers.

I beg to differ.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

some of the finest people in Islam are from Africa brother MA. and they do count...as Egypt..Algeria and most of Africa except a few countries are moderate ...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Perhaps the numbers are going down because believers in suicide bombings have already blown themselves up. :whistle:

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: Timeline
Plus 'often or sometimes justified'.... I think a lot can be swept under that question.

Indeed. That is a very valid point.

How many people in this country would rule out suicide bombings as a means of attacking an enemy that can not be attacked by any other means?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.