Jenn!

Obesity Map

48 posts in this topic

Celebrities also train. The men on that list who are overweight are rather built.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Celebrities also train. The men on that list who are overweight are rather built.

Then why do we keep using BMI as a measure of obesity when its not even very accurate?

keTiiDCjGVo

Because it's relatively accurate for your average Joe or Jane who sits in an office, and easier to calculate than, say, going to a gym and having your body fat measured. It's not accurate for people who are serious athletes or NBA players who are freakishly tall. For the average person it's a reasonable estimate.

AOS

-

Because it's relatively accurate for your average Joe or Jane who sits in an office, and easier to calculate than, say, going to a gym and having your body fat measured. It's not accurate for people who are serious athletes or NBA players who are freakishly tall. For the average person it's a reasonable estimate.

But even then its not all that good. As Asians have different normal weight than Caucasians. Nor is it any indication how healthy a person is or will be. Some people have high metabolisms and can eat lots of fast food but stay relatively thin. While others can eat well but still stay overweight. And its likely that the fast food eater is going to have more health problems than the overweight person.

BMI is like swatting a misquote with a wreaking ball. Its a very rough number that really has no indication of how healthy a person is and will be in the future.

Some people have issues with their weight due to medical conditions that are hard to control. Some people make poor lifestyle choices. Some people have tried every diet in the book with no success.

In my opinion the focus should be less on weight, and more on making good lifestyle choices. And definetly not feeding the diet companies who are benefiting off this self-esteem crisis.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

But even then its not all that good. As Asians have different normal weight than Caucasians. Nor is it any indication how healthy a person is or will be. Some people have high metabolisms and can eat lots of fast food but stay relatively thin. While others can eat well but still stay overweight. And its likely that the fast food eater is going to have more health problems than the overweight person.

BMI is like swatting a misquote with a wreaking ball. Its a very rough number that really has no indication of how healthy a person is and will be in the future.

Some people have issues with their weight due to medical conditions that are hard to control. Some people make poor lifestyle choices. Some people have tried every diet in the book with no success.

In my opinion the focus should be less on weight, and more on making good lifestyle choices. And definetly not feeding the diet companies who are benefiting off this self-esteem crisis.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Though I do think the 'My BMI is high because I'm muscular' excuse is often used by too many obvious couch potatoes. If you're not working out, it ain't the BMI that's wrong.

Right. Or "I'm not fat, I'm just big boned."

cartmanc.jpg

I completely agree. Weight doesn't map perfectly onto health, and I think we're generally skewed about what a 'fit' person looks like with all the airbrushing and celebrity worship. People think women are designed to have hips like boys with D-cups breasts and rock-hard abs and that becomes the idea of 'healthy.' Personally, I think BMI counters that a little because someone with a BMI of 24 likely doesn't look like a model yet is considered normal.

That said, though, I think part of the key to being healthy is to know what your own body is like. I could drop 20 lbs and I would not suddenly develop long slender legs. Too many stumpy peasants in the ancestry, I guess. I think BMI works as a rule of thumb, but no one rule is definitive on health. If you're working out and cutting out processed foods, you're probably on the way to where you should be.

AOS

-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

never fear, there are always ford trucks..........

FordAd.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Charles, we've already seen your family reunion pics! :wacko:

whew, and i thought you'd be mad about me posting your modeling pics :P

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline

i guess i'm your target for the week, eh? :unsure:

it was a joke! :devil:

I was only playin'. :blush:

PS: I do not have weekly targets, BTW. :innocent:

whew, and i thought you'd be mad about me posting your modeling pics :P

too late, edit boy - I already busted ya! :whistle:

I tried to make it about Nessa, but then I figured she might come kick my a$$. :devil:

Timeline
I tried to make it about Nessa, but then I figured she might come kick my a$$. :devil:

considering she's a size 2 to 4, it woulda fell flat :lol:

but she does know mui thai (or however it's spelled). she'll kick my butt and yours at the same time :lol:

*back to washing dishes* :whistle:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline

considering she's a size 2 to 4, it woulda fell flat :lol:

but she does know mui thai (or however it's spelled). she'll kick my butt and yours at the same time :lol:

*back to washing dishes* :whistle:

I thought she was a 0? She is at Banana Republic I think. :yes: