nane1104

misconceptions and prejudices

137 posts in this topic

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not make the mistake of assuming that European countries don't have corruption problems. :whistle:

Don't worry - I'm not making that assumption.

Coolies. :thumbs:

Indeed. I'm a big fan of pen and paper. For one my Mum is a poll clerk, so I know how counting works and the sort of integrity the people who do it (at least in my home town) have. I trust them, I don't trust a computer.

I always get the "where are you from?!" question from strangers when I visit my fiance in the States. They always get a confused look on their face when they hear this tiny Asian girl say, "Vancouver Canada, and you?" More than once I've gotten the "oh, you don't talk with an accent..."

And then they ask about the igloos and polar bears. ^_^

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I always get the "where are you from?!" question from strangers when I visit my fiance in the States. They always get a confused look on their face when they hear this tiny Asian girl say, "Vancouver Canada, and you?" More than once I've gotten the "oh, you don't talk with an accent..."

And then they ask about the igloos and polar bears. ^_^

Forgot about the accent thing.. people are always saying "but you don't talk with an accent".. when I ask them what that accent is.. they say " aren't all canadians french?"

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That's like people asking if not all german girls wear a "Dirndl", just they don't know the term and describe it as " that kind of folk dress..that shows the boobs, they wear it at OKTOBERFEST though!!!!"

So sorry.. :lol:

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
That's like people asking if not all german girls wear a "Dirndl", just they don't know the term and describe it as " that kind of folk dress..that shows the boobs, they wear it at OKTOBERFEST though!!!!"

I didn't know what it was called either but I don't think that makes me stupid. :whistle:

Let's not make the mistake of assuming that European countries don't have corruption problems. :whistle:

Don't worry - I'm not making that assumption.

Coolies. :thumbs:

Indeed. I'm a big fan of pen and paper. For one my Mum is a poll clerk, so I know how counting works and the sort of integrity the people who do it (at least in my home town) have. I trust them, I don't trust a computer.

Right on. I did software quality assurance for 7 years and I don't trust computers either. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline

I didn't know what it was called either but I don't think that makes me stupid. :whistle:

LOL, no. That's a very specific german term and I believe, depending on the region, it even has different names, but that would be the most known. But no, I would not expect anyone to know that. It's just funny when people try to describe it.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Timeline
She gets the "do you speak spanish" with the follow-up "... oh ... they speak portuguese in brazil?"

also my co-workers only thought of bikinis :lol:

I like bikinis.. :blush:

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

What misconceptions and prejudices do you experience from people about your homecountry after you arrived in the US?

I am always amazed how people assume that I must be sooooo happy to be finally in the US, if in reality, the only reason why I am here and wanted to come here is to be with my husband.

I even got asked one time how we communicated while we were apart and when said per email, phone, text messages,...I earned a surprised look, like they couldn't believe we have that kind of technology...in GERMANY??????!!!! :lol:

So so sorry. Many Americans are very stupid and ignorant of the rest of the world.

I had a co-worker (he was a pretty smart guy) that thought the streets in Bangkok were still dirt.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
She gets the "do you speak spanish" with the follow-up "... oh ... they speak portuguese in brazil?"

I like bikinis.. :blush:

I also love the beaches in Brazil ... and she has taken me to quite a few :thumbs:

the sand dunes at Natal were so cool !!!

It's hard not to equate bikinis to Brazil :)

PS... ever see the movie Cidade de Deus (City of God)?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes

Haven't been to that area ... have seen "candy men" and guns though.

Timeline

I think there is a difference if you just associate certain things to a country or region or culture of if you make assumptions or generalize like "all xy in xy are or do xy!"

Like you automatically associate the Oktoberfest to Germany and the Eiffeltower to Paris and the Staue of Liberty to the USA...

Edited by nane1104

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

AOS, EAD and AP