Johnnysc

I-693a--My first Beef with VJ !

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I do not think there is any doubt the supplement is required, the question is all about timing. Is it required with the application or can you elect to supply at interview time.

Since there are quite a few people who are RFE'd for not providing the supplement in conjunction with the I-485, *I* would say that not submitting it with the I-485 and instead waiting to present it at the interview, is not really an option.

Here's the text on the I-485:

"If you are a K-1 fiancee or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fiance(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application."

It seems to me pretty clear that the MAY is indicating permission to file concurrently since the sentence before seems to indicate that it is required. Compare with:

"If you filed before July 30, 2007, you need only pay the cheaper fees rather than the ridiculously hiked fees. You may pay by check."

You wouldn't conclude from that that payment isn't necessary just because it said 'may.' Same thing here.

Precisely. People are focusing on the "may" when it is the "need to" that is important.

Yup. If you know you 'need to' send it, and that you 'may' include it with the AOS application, then it would seem a good idea to do just that... of course, if you take the 'may' to mean that the vaccination supplement is optional at this stage, but understand that you 'need' to send it in at some point... then you won't mind too much if you get an RFE asking you to do just that. So no harm done either way! :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I do not think there is any doubt the supplement is required, the question is all about timing. Is it required with the application or can you elect to supply at interview time.

Since there are quite a few people who are RFE'd for not providing the supplement in conjunction with the I-485, *I* would say that not submitting it with the I-485 and instead waiting to present it at the interview, is not really an option.

But is that only a recent phenonemon because we are seeing more and more AOS applications being approved without an interview?

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Amen sister.

I have it in my siggie for that reason. Some on VJ have recommended not sending it. It clearly says in the I-485 instructions that is it NEEDED. 'May' is a misleading word in yes another badly worded govt document. By not sending it you are risking an RFE & a delay in your case. Why bother not sending if you can get it down for $10?

Hey OP, no one's siggie is a definite, the onus is on you to do your research, but thanks for the callout! :wacko: The 'glaring red' is indeed purple.

Edited by devilette

It (the Guides) says:

"13. I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status. (If you already have this from your overseas Visa Interview submit a copy that medical check form; No fee is required in this case. If you are a K-1 fiancé(e) or K-2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fiancé(e) visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement (I-693A), not the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application.) "

Your emphasis on 'may' is incorrect - it is 'may' as in 'you are allowed.' :thumbs:

May I? - Am I allowed...

Can I? - Am I able...

:whistle:

:thumbs:

I do not think there is any doubt the supplement is required, the question is all about timing. Is it required with the application or can you elect to supply at interview time?

Yes! This goes to the heart of the matter. I ,somehow, got the strong impression that this supplement was ORDINARILY brought to the interview but that if you were so inclined you "May" file it with the I-485 if you were some kind of eager-beaver....

Ultimately my fault for thinking that. But even if we were not inclinded to change the government's own ambiguous wording "MAY" (thats like your algebra teacher says, "You MAY bring your homework to class each day" when she means, "You MUST bring it or fail the class...")----maybe we could insert a paragraph saying 'You probably should read "May" as "Must" or risk an RFE'

John---grateful for 'Devilette's' glaring re, er---PURPLE sentence for bringing this into sharper focus for me. Long may she purp!

Well let us know what happens, maybe you won't get RFE'd?

12.24.04 US Entry on F-1 Visa

06.30.05 Met Renee

03.17.07 Married!

AOS

07.24.07 Filed I-130 + I 1485

07.26.07 Package Received

gse_multipart60077.jpggse_multipart43945.jpggse_multipart39392.jpggse_multipart60125.jpgStarshipTN.jpg

Indie Frog Studios

Ultimately my fault for thinking that. But even if we were not inclinded to change the government's own ambiguous wording "MAY" (thats like your algebra teacher says, "You MAY bring your homework to class each day" when she means, "You MUST bring it or fail the class...")----maybe we could insert a paragraph saying 'You probably should read "May" as "Must" or risk an RFE'

John---grateful for 'Devilette's' glaring re, er---PURPLE sentence for bringing this into sharper focus for me. Long may she purp!

:lol: There have been many debates on it, so I put it in my siggie.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.