Craig_Karina

Buddy's Wife in Estonia: Denial of K-3/K-4 Visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello Vjer's:

I am posting this so I can give advice to a buddy of mine: Situation is...he met this beautiful woman on a cruise ship where she works. After a brief courtship, they married in Estonia...a beautiful wedding in August, 2006 . I saw the photos. He is really in love and crazy about this woman. After marriage/honeymoon, he applied for K-3/K-4 Visa. He tells me that he has $35,000 - $40,000 invested in flights, trips, the wedding, gifts, honeymoon...the whole nine yards. She continually asks for money from him...(which he sends) and sometimes he does not hear from her for 20 - 25 days? She claims that she cannot call/write/e-mail from the cruise ship? (I find that a little hard to believe?)

The short of it is...he now finds that she has been denied a visa 2 - 3 times (before him) to enter the USA. Now, she has been to two interviews in Estonia and has gotten two more denials! He is about ready to give up!!!! I am sure that he respects my advice BUT, I'l like some ammunition from all of you. Why would this woman be denied a visa this many times? I told him that "maybe" he is being protected by the government because they know something that he does not...he was not all that receptive to my comment. So...have at it...give me some ammo!! Can he find out the reasons for the denials...past and present? Wouldn't they tell him or RFE? I am puzzled?

Thanks!!

Craig

PS He e-mailed this to me this morning: "There’s no good news about my wife, she’s been denied by the U.S. government yet again…I’m seriously doubting if she ever be approved. I was told by the U.S. Immigration department that marriage is not a guarantee for immigration status or visa. They said it is a privilege not a right and that some people will never get a visa to come to the USA. Needless to say, it’s putting a terrible strain on our relationship being married and appearing to never live together here in the US. and I’m to old to move to a foreign country, learn a very hard foreign language and would be impossible to be the bread winner in the marriage having to take a minimal job starting out at the bottom of the work market."

Without knowing both sides of the story, we can only summize.... One thing that might help is - Has she clarified which type of visa she has been denied in the past? Work visa, fiance visa (I'm presuming she hasn't been married before), tourist visa?

I also know, that if I was on a cruise ship I would write letters to my husband and post them from every port I stopped at. Or phone from ports as often as possible. Purely to keep in contact.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Timeline
This woman was denied on her K3 K4 interwiew,and previously was refused on a visitor visa?(couple times before)?

Yes...that is what he is telling me. EXCEPT that the prior denials were for K-1 "Fiance" visas. I think she has been married twice before (she's ~30), one husband deceased...other hubby, I do not know the situation. To me, it appears that my friend (he's 49)is just being "used" as a ticket. If she has been refused 2 - 3 times before with other men...there must be a reason...but what is it? :o And, I tend to agree with him...it does not look like she will ever be approved! But, wow...an expensive lesson. But, maybe not as costly as if she came here, dumped him and he has to support her for years!!!

I really really feel sorry about your friend's situation.

Previously denied fiancée visas...(" EXCEPT that the prior denials were for K-1 "Fiance" visas") That is the fishy part.

Sad to say but I agree,if she has been refused 2 or more times before ON FIANCÉE visas it is fishy.

But,without knowning the both sides of the story I really do not wanna sit in judgement on her.

Maybe your friend just being used...Maybe not.

What was the cause of the K3 K4 denial?

If she has been denied on fiancee visa's previously then I would have to say that sounds fishy.

Knowing she was denied, why would she go through the same scenario again and again when the outcome would be the same... being engaged to a different guy does not have any effect on the outcome. Maybe that is why this particular relationship ended in marriage (a different visa, the hope of a different outcome?). And did she wait until the denial to tell your friend that she has had previous denials? Or has that been truthfully told from the beginning?

Again, I am summizing (as we do not know the person or the whole story), but unless she has a weak-spot that causes her to continuously fall for American men, it sounds like she just wants to be in the US :(

I also don't like the fact that she continuously asks your friend for money, she was self-sufficient before the relationship and I see no reason for that to have changed, as she is still on cruise ships. That is almost as fishy as the previously denied visas.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Perhaps he should give the consulate a call and ask them the exact reason for her current denial.... might help shed some light on things.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

Craig,

I hope for your friend's sake that we are all wrong, but this sounds fishy. While it is not wrong for a man to help support his wife, it should be within reason. Not only does my wife not ask me for money, she tries to help me save money whenever she can. I do occasionally send her money for important things like university expenses, but I was the one to offer that.

The fact that he doesn't hear from her for as long as 20-25 days is even more troubling. A loving wife would normally want to speak with her husband as often as possible. While I understand that international communications can be very expensive, it is still hard to believe that she can't find a way to contact him. My wife would flip if we didn't talk several times a day. We always lets each other know where and who we are with. It is important to build trust in a long distance relationship and disappearing for nearly a month is no way to go about it.

I wish the best of luck to your friend. I imagine you are in a difficult position with your friend with regards to this sensitive topic.

Peace,

CG

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Timeline
Craig,

I hope for your friend's sake that we are all wrong, but this sounds fishy. While it is not wrong for a man to help support his wife, it should be within reason. Not only does my wife not ask me for money, she tries to help me save money whenever she can. I do occasionally send her money for important things like university expenses, but I was the one to offer that.

The fact that he doesn't hear from her for as long as 20-25 days is even more troubling. A loving wife would normally want to speak with her husband as often as possible. While I understand that international communications can be very expensive, it is still hard to believe that she can't find a way to contact him. My wife would flip if we didn't talk several times a day. We always lets each other know where and who we are with. It is important to build trust in a long distance relationship and disappearing for nearly a month is no way to go about it.

I wish the best of luck to your friend. I imagine you are in a difficult position with your friend with regards to this sensitive topic.

Peace,

CG

Hey CG!!

Unfortunately, the "signs" all seem to be there. It would bother me a LOT if I did not speak with my wife several times a day too. I always call Karina because my calls cost about 6-7 cents a minute and we only talk for 5 -10 minutes. But, I love to hear her voice and vice versa. Calls from Colombia cost about 50 cents a minute so I tell her..only in an emergency!

I did call my friend today and met with him for an hour. He is heartbroken...but, realistic. I told him (very kindly) that he may have found a woman with no character who was just using him for entry to the USA. And, I mentioned everything that was posted above. Prior refusals = Red Flag, No contact for 20 - 25 days = BIG Red Flag (made me wonder where she is and who she is with? Cruise ship..."onboard affairs"...that is how they met. But, I did NOT say that!!! Eeeeoooooowwww!!) Frequent requests for money = Red Flag, Moved to new apartment without telling him = BIG Red Flag (I forgot to mention that one on the post.)

I think and hope that he will abandon this course of action to bring her here. There are just too many RED FLAGS!!! And, he thanked me for an honest and frank conversation with him.

Sincere regards to you and your wife in Colombia,

Craig

Timeline

Craig,

If you call your wife as much as I do, you might want to look into a service called CrossFone. They offer a plan to call any land line in Colombia for $35 a month with up to 2,000 minutes a month. It is only for landlines and will occasionally have connection problems, but it is a pretty good deal compared to calling cards or other prepaid per minute services. Hopefully, our wives will be here sooner than later, but you know they are going to be glued to that phone calling their families in Colombia.

BTW, I put up a few pics from our wedding in San Andres. We are going to have the big church wedding next year, but this was a great alternative to a notario's office.

Peace brother,

CG

Edited by ColombianoGringo

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Craig,

Peace,

CG

Hey CG!!

Unfortunately, the "signs" all seem to be there. It would bother me a LOT if I did not speak with my wife several times a day too. I always call Karina because my calls cost about 6-7 cents a minute and we only talk for 5 -10 minutes. But, I love to hear her voice and vice versa. Calls from Colombia cost about 50 cents a minute so I tell her..only in an emergency!

I did call my friend today and met with him for an hour. He is heartbroken...but, realistic. I told him (very kindly) that he may have found a woman with no character who was just using him for entry to the USA. And, I mentioned everything that was posted above. Prior refusals = Red Flag, No contact for 20 - 25 days = BIG Red Flag (made me wonder where she is and who she is with? Cruise ship..."onboard affairs"...that is how they met. But, I did NOT say that!!! Eeeeoooooowwww!!) Frequent requests for money = Red Flag, Moved to new apartment without telling him = BIG Red Flag (I forgot to mention that one on the post.)

I think and hope that he will abandon this course of action to bring her here. There are just too many RED FLAGS!!! And, he thanked me for an honest and frank conversation with him.

Sincere regards to you and your wife in Colombia,

Craig

We're only hearing one side and few details but it's enough for me to conclude you've properly advised your friend. He's got a gold digger. Probably time to cut the losses.

The key missing detail is what was in the initial request for additional evidence on the first denial this time through. I suspect it was all about the bona fides and triggered by the previous K1 denials. They have their reasons for those denials on record and your friend is not entitled to know those reason or the specifics of the current denial either, if they deem it's information he doesn't already know. It is not the Consulate's place to divulge information his wife may have kept from him.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Isn't he entitled to know at least the INA code for the denial?

Anyway, lots of red flags there even though we're only hearing one side of the story. Agreed that he may want to cut his losses now...

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Isn't he entitled to know at least the INA code for the denial?

Anyway, lots of red flags there even though we're only hearing one side of the story. Agreed that he may want to cut his losses now...

The code will probably tell him less than the original blue slip did but yes, he's entitled to it. The specifics would be given at the Consulate's discretion but he is not entitled to know them. Of course he would end up knowing if it went to court on appeal but that is unlikely.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

It's very hard for Estonians to get a visitor visa to the USA. I know from experience... I dont know why theyre such jerks at the embassy there about it.

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

I-129F Sent : Aug 04 2007

I-129F Received at VSC: Aug 09 2007

I-129F NOA1 Notice-issue date : Aug 16 2007

I-129f NOA2 Notice-issue date : Jan 07 2007

Your I-129f was approved in 156 days from your filing date.

It all depends on what Visa type the rejection came for. If it's for a tourist visa, that's more or less forgiven, but if it's for relationship purpose k1, k3 and all, that will raise eyebrow if the explanation is not straigth foward.

The issue on hand and very important one. WHEN DID SHE INFORME HIM about those rejections, or did he only find out after she got rejected, it can make a big difference if the person was open, because so far we only hear one side of the story, But i would hope it's not one of those cases where she's just using him as a ticket to the US.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.