AustinJohn

Is a rock solid case needed to succeed at K1 visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

HCMC is known for this... making american to submit video tape of himself speaking in Vietnamese, like video-mail :)

Why?

John, put yourself in the shoes of a CO but switch consulate, say... Beijing, where a chinese girl who wants a Visa, a USC wants to petition for her but neither one fo them speak the other's language (Chinese vs. English). BUT they both claim they speak and understand each other well. You may choose to believe or even trust the claim, but it is your job to "trust but verify". Therefore, you may want to see the Video tape of a USC speaking and communicating in Chinese.

There is no "rock-solid-case" anywhere :) unless you petition for Tony Blair's daughter then MAYBE :)

HCMC is one of the busiest post in the world who process a few thousands Visa cases a month if not more. To keep the backlog from backing up, I do believe they want to see a rock-solid-case all the times, that way they will approve it without any doubt. But unfortunately, that isn't the case here. High volume demands high processing rate, leaves higher chance for frauds and mistake!

My only advise to you, if you really concern about the language barrier, which only you know it best how BAD your vietnamese is compared to her english :D, either crank up on the Rosetta Stone CD lesson or start making the tape brother. Your job is convince the CO that you want to marry this vietnamese girl but if you can't speak a word or two of "Anh Yeu Em LONG-TIME" then, I say, "houston, we have a problem" :D

Desert Fox mentioned the tape, he is absolutely right about that. If I am not mistaken, it was Zerovolt who had to submit the tape for HCMC.

5 Mins Video Tape

There you go! If you know your weakness, time to beef up!

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I havd read stories where the visa has been held up because the Consul wants to see a video tape of hte petitioner speaking 5 minutes in unscripted Vietamese.

My friend went thru there, and he is fluent in Vietamese. He was also rejected until he enlisted the help of his congressman.

Not being able to speak a common language, from what I understand, can be a big red flag there.

Yeah, I've read such things also. I plan on making a video of me speaking Vietnamese for them to see. I imagine that they will see that I can speak basic Vietnamese but I'm not fluent. I understand it is a red flag; that's why I've been studying Vietnamese for about 8 months.

My original question which still remains unanswered.

Are there people who have successfully attained visa even though they were not fluent in a common language.

Thanks,

John

The answer to your specific question is a resounding YES. However, plenty of seemingly rock solid cases have gone through some extra hoops and delays. The key is a sound relationship and good interview preparation. That preparation includes dressing for succes and approaching the interviewer with confidence.

My wife was prepared to greet the officer in English and answer many questions. He greeted her in Chinese first. He asked if she spoke English and she said "a little". "Does your husband speak Mandarin?" "A Little." Then the complete interview was conducted in Mandarin. All in all a pleasant experience. It doesn't always go that way but I'm convinced my wife's demeanor and appearance were keys to success. We'll really never know for sure.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
The answer to your specific question is a resounding YES. However, plenty of seemingly rock solid cases have gone through some extra hoops and delays. The key is a sound relationship and good interview preparation. That preparation includes dressing for succes and approaching the interviewer with confidence.

My wife was prepared to greet the officer in English and answer many questions. He greeted her in Chinese first. He asked if she spoke English and she said "a little". "Does your husband speak Mandarin?" "A Little." Then the complete interview was conducted in Mandarin. All in all a pleasant experience. It doesn't always go that way but I'm convinced my wife's demeanor and appearance were keys to success. We'll really never know for sure.

Very good advise. Also want to point out, most of these consulate officers who work in the immigration section of the consulate KNOW the native language very well. Do not underestimate your CO.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.