AustinJohn

Is a rock solid case needed to succeed at K1 visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm thinking about the "big picture" as a see people say and I'm not feeling confident. Our interview is August 24th and I'm having doubts on our success.

Do you need a "rock solid" case to get the visa?

I've been thinking hard about our interview package and I'm worried about two possible red flags.

One, the time from us meeting and our engagement wasn't long (3 months). Also, the pre-engagement evidence isn't alot.

Two, neither one of us is fluent in the other's language. We can communicate in an odd way (a bit of English here and Vietnamese there) but there is no question that we don't share "fluently" a common spoken language.

Are there others who have had less than ideal cases that have succeeded?

Pretty worried here,

John

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi all,

I'm thinking about the "big picture" as a see people say and I'm not feeling confident. Our interview is August 24th and I'm having doubts on our success.

Do you need a "rock solid" case to get the visa?

I've been thinking hard about our interview package and I'm worried about two possible red flags.

One, the time from us meeting and our engagement wasn't long (3 months). Also, the pre-engagement evidence isn't alot.

Two, neither one of us is fluent in the other's language. We can communicate in an odd way (a bit of English here and Vietnamese there) but there is no question that we don't share "fluently" a common spoken language.

Are there others who have had less than ideal cases that have succeeded?

Pretty worried here,

John

The pre-engagement evidence was needed for the I-129F, you were approved, so that's fine. What you need now is evidence of your ongoing relationship and that you still intend to marry in the US after the visa and arrival. Have you been keeping in touch? If you don't speak each other's languages at all, then that might be a problem. Have you exchanged snail mail? Email? Phone calls - with phone records? Take some time to read over the guides and FAQ here and learn some of the interview questions. Can she answer them? In either language? Make sure she's brushed up on the information in everything that's been sent in so far. Make sure she feels confident and comfortable. Short engagements and short durations of relationships happen around here all the time. Just be well prepared and have evidence of your ongoing relationship. Be confident and she should be fine.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Every consulate is different - some pickier than others. I'd pose your questions to people who specifically went through Vietnam.

Agreed. Viet Nam is known to be a very tough consulate. Others who have been there, done that can better help you to prepare for the interview. try asking around in the regional forum. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Even though others have said that the scrutiny for China, Vietnam or other communist countries isn't more intense I personally think these cases are looked at very, very closely - more so than normal. Not as bad as muslim countries, but still higher than if someone was from a first world country the US is friendly with.

I think the language barrier may be a major issue, along with the country being Vietnam. If you have regular communication and prepped your fiancee with the items in the guides, such as recent letter of intent to marry, records of the ongoing relationship from your side, financial support forms, and other items, then you have to see how it goes.

I would think it would be hard if she hasn't been able to write you letters or email in English. I think each case is different and it must also depend on the officer you get and their mood that particular day and how well your fiancee presents herself.

Timeline
The pre-engagement evidence was needed for the I-129F, you were approved, so that's fine. What you need now is evidence of your ongoing relationship and that you still intend to marry in the US after the visa and arrival. Have you been keeping in touch? If you don't speak each other's languages at all, then that might be a problem. Have you exchanged snail mail? Email? Phone calls - with phone records? Take some time to read over the guides and FAQ here and learn some of the interview questions. Can she answer them? In either language? Make sure she's brushed up on the information in everything that's been sent in so far. Make sure she feels confident and comfortable. Short engagements and short durations of relationships happen around here all the time. Just be well prepared and have evidence of your ongoing relationship. Be confident and she should be fine.

She can answer the questions in English when I practice with her. I can speak and read some Vietnamese. She can speak and read some English. We can talk about normal day-to-day stuff just fine because we are used to each other and the way we speak. She has difficulty understanding English speakers other than me and I have difficulty understanding Vietnamese speakers other than her. We both have a basic vocabulary in the other language and understand what the limits are in the communication.

So again, the question is how picky the CO will be that neither of us is fluent in the other tongue.

Cheers.

John

9/26/2006 Met online

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I havd read stories where the visa has been held up because the Consul wants to see a video tape of hte petitioner speaking 5 minutes in unscripted Vietamese.

My friend went thru there, and he is fluent in Vietamese. He was also rejected until he enlisted the help of his congressman.

Not being able to speak a common language, from what I understand, can be a big red flag there.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

Hi John

I don't think you should give up yet. I know Vietnam is one of the toughest place to get a Visa, nevertheless you shouldn't give up. Try to have also much evidence as you can. Be overly prepared if you can. Is your fiancé going to school in Vietnam? They have plenty of school where they teach English to Vietnamese people there. I would recommend her taking some of these classes. It is also inexpensive. My fiancée is taking English classes near her house. I'm paying for her school. It cost me 100US for about 3 months, 3 times a week 1 1/2 hr each time. They teach reading writing and speaking. I know you only have about a month, however if you she try to learn English where it would help both of you to better communicate. You can also learn Vietnamese if you like from this Program call Rosetta Stone. They make all of these different languages. They have a Vietnamese and English version. I gave it to my fiancé to learn English also. It's pretty good software. Does she have a computer at home? If you want I can have my fiancé give her a copy of the program for her to learn. My aunt is going back to Vietnam on Sat 8/4. I m going to give her some stuff to bring back to Vietnam for my fiancée. These are just some of my idea to help you out. If you need anything let me know. My day will come some also and I too worry like you. I understand how you feel as it gets closer to the interview day..Best of luck...

I havd read stories where the visa has been held up because the Consul wants to see a video tape of hte petitioner speaking 5 minutes in unscripted Vietamese.

My friend went thru there, and he is fluent in Vietamese. He was also rejected until he enlisted the help of his congressman.

Not being able to speak a common language, from what I understand, can be a big red flag there.

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

Timeline

Yeah, I've read such things also. I plan on making a video of me speaking Vietnamese for them to see. I imagine that they will see that I can speak basic Vietnamese but I'm not fluent. I understand it is a red flag; that's why I've been studying Vietnamese for about 8 months.

My original question which still remains unanswered.

Are there people who have successfully attained visa even though they were not fluent in a common language.

Thanks,

John

9/26/2006 Met online

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Yeah, I've read such things also. I plan on making a video of me speaking Vietnamese for them to see. I imagine that they will see that I can speak basic Vietnamese but I'm not fluent. I understand it is a red flag; that's why I've been studying Vietnamese for about 8 months.

My original question which still remains unanswered.

Are there people who have successfully attained visa even though they were not fluent in a common language.

Thanks,

John

I think you'll find many cases on VJ where the foreign fiance/e received the visa and the two were not fluent in a common language.

But that alone doesn't guarantee success for anyone else.

SA4userbar.jpg

Here is a thread someone posted about his fiancee's interview. They had the same issue with language and did get the visa. I realize it's a different consulate, but you might find it helpful.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...486&hl=Yeli

Good luck!

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They aren't going to be able, or likely willing, to play a video as evidence of anything. Just keep your records of emails and phone calls and whatever else you both do to keep in touch. Can you afford to fly over for the interview?

The best advice is to prepare the best you can, and try to control your nerves - which is hard, I know. But it's like dealing with dogs and bees: they can sense your - and your fiance's - discomfort and uneasiness, which some translate as shady or hiding something. Work on her staying calm and being confident in knowing how to answer the questions. They should be able to interview her in her native language, too. You'll probably be fine.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Other Timeline
They aren't going to be able, or likely willing, to play a video as evidence of anything. Just keep your records of emails and phone calls and whatever else you both do to keep in touch. Can you afford to fly over for the interview?

The best advice is to prepare the best you can, and try to control your nerves - which is hard, I know. But it's like dealing with dogs and bees: they can sense your - and your fiance's - discomfort and uneasiness, which some translate as shady or hiding something. Work on her staying calm and being confident in knowing how to answer the questions. They should be able to interview her in her native language, too. You'll probably be fine.

Daisy, I'm sure you mean well and I know you are an advocate of approaching this with 'no fear'.

But this is the Ho Chi Minh consulate - the OP's concerns are far from unfounded.

I'd really like to see him consult with an attorney who specializes in these petitions.

Timeline

You hit it on the nail. HCMC CO is far from other countries. I wish it wasn't the case. I hear lots of stories all the time about unusual things about HCMC. John don't worry to much. Have a position attitude and big picture here. I am thinking it might be the most different place for any visa.I could be wrong ,just my opinion.....

Daisy, I'm sure you mean well and I know you are an advocate of approaching this with 'no fear'.

But this is the Ho Chi Minh consulate - the OP's concerns are far from unfounded.

I'd really like to see him consult with an attorney who specializes in these petitions.

You hit it on the nail. HCMC CO is far from other countries. I wish it wasn't the case. I hear lots of stories all the time about unusual things about HCMC. John don't worry to much. Have a position attitude and big picture here. I am thinking it might be the most different place for any visa.I could be wrong ,just my opinion.....

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.