Vietnam07

Proof of giving Money to Fiance

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I completely agree that giving someone money is not, in and of itself, proof of a relationship. I do wonder however, if demonstrating support of your fiance(e) would/could be one part of a total picture of an ongoing relationship. I have often wondered if this fact would be looked on favorably or unfavorably by the consulate officer (CO) during the visa interview.

On the possible favorable side, the petitioner is demonstrating their comittment to support the beneficiary (loosely analagous to the support demostrations that will be required later at the approval phase via I-134, etc).

On the possible unfavorable side, the consular officer may view this support in a negative light: ie that the beneficiary is somehow demonstrating a (financial) dependancy on the petitioner. Even if no such dependancy actually exists, could the Consular Officer latch on to a perception of one?

Folks, please...No Flames...Please read the whole post...It's an honest question regarding perception of the CO at the visa interview.

Nowhere here am I saying that one should or should not provide money or other financial support to their beneficiary. Everyone should do as their circumstances and heart dictate.

Nowhere here am I saying that demonstration of support during the pre-interview timeline is asked for or required by any rule, form, law or any other such governmental vehicle.

The question is what is your opinion regarding the disclosure of any financial support that you may have given in terms of its potential impact on the CO at the visa interview: Irrelevent?, Beneficial?, Negative?

Thanks!

Warm Regards,

Samby

I think showing financial support shows an interest in your fiancee's well-being. I don't believe there is any way that it will be viewed negatively.

9/26/2006 Met online

12/24/2006 - 1/6/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

12/31/2006 Engagement ceremony

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

5/21/2007 NVC received I-129

6/6/2007 - 6/28/2007 Visited Fiancee in VN

6/9/2007 Wedding Ceremony in VN; no paperwork

6/11/2007 - 6/18/2007 Honeymoon in Nha Trang and Dalat

6/29/2007 Packet 3 received (in person)

6/29/2007 Packet 3 returned to consulate (in person)

7/30/2007 Packet 4 received

8/22/2007 John arrived in Vietnam for interview

8/24/2007 Interview - blue slip

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

9/12/2007 Wedding in U.S.

11/30/2007 Mailed AOS paperwork.

12/26/2008 Biometrics

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

giving someone money.. is NOT a proof of relationship.... but it is a good idea for being able to support the person..

it actually depends on whos giving the money...

if the petitioner is the one giving the money.. it might help with the affidavit of support-- even before the interview, the petitioner is already supporting the beneficiary.. which is good..

but then if its the beneficiary giving the money to the petitioner.. it might be a different story and they might think that the beneficiary is buying the petitioner..

i use western union and i think it would be easier than to have a whole bunch of people sign this and that..

04-1998 his sister/ my friend introduced us to each other..

04-24-1998 got together as boyfriend and girlfriend..

........... 8 YEARS AND 8 MONTHS LATER...............

12-23-2006 he proposed in baguio city philippines.. of course i said YES!!!

01-09-2007 back to US

07-06-2007 mailed I-129F packet

07-09-2007 I-129F delivered (Laguna Niguel)

07-07-2007 NOA1

waiting ... waiting.... waiting....

11-10-2007 - February 5, 2008 went to the Philippines

12-17-2007 NOA2

02-18-2008 mailed him necessary documents

02-21-2008 he passed the local nursing boards... wooohooo :)

02-22-2008 he received the package

02-26-2008 schedule of his physical

02-272008 continuation of his physical

03-02-2008 MY BIRTHDAY...

03-04-2008 INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!! PASSED IT... WOOOHOOOOO

03-26-2008 visa delivered.... FINALLY!!!!!!!!

03-27-2008 got plane ticket...

04-01-2008 CFO

04-11-2008 U.S. arrival

04-24-2008 CIVIL WEDDING /OUR 10TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY

04-25-2008 file SSN

One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down.

I got a smaller credit card of mine put in my fiancé's name. That works very well. I get monthly statements and it is only $5 for her to get money. It is working out well

My aunt is going back to Vietnam so I figured I would pass some money to her to give to my fiancé to help her out with bills, food and school. I just wanted to show financial support in helping her out. I know that giving cash is hard to provide. I also figured that there might be no way of showing proof when it comes to cash.

Giving someone money is NOT proof of a relationship.

I completely agree that giving someone money is not, in and of itself, proof of a relationship. I do wonder however, if demonstrating support of your fiance(e) would/could be one part of a total picture of an ongoing relationship. I have often wondered if this fact would be looked on favorably or unfavorably by the consulate officer (CO) during the visa interview.

On the possible favorable side, the petitioner is demonstrating their comittment to support the beneficiary (loosely analagous to the support demostrations that will be required later at the approval phase via I-134, etc).

On the possible unfavorable side, the consular officer may view this support in a negative light: ie that the beneficiary is somehow demonstrating a (financial) dependancy on the petitioner. Even if no such dependancy actually exists, could the Consular Officer latch on to a perception of one?

Folks, please...No Flames...Please read the whole post...It's an honest question regarding perception of the CO at the visa interview.

Nowhere here am I saying that one should or should not provide money or other financial support to their beneficiary. Everyone should do as their circumstances and heart dictate.

Nowhere here am I saying that demonstration of support during the pre-interview timeline is asked for or required by any rule, form, law or any other such governmental vehicle.

The question is what is your opinion regarding the disclosure of any financial support that you may have given in terms of its potential impact on the CO at the visa interview: Irrelevent?, Beneficial?, Negative?

Thanks!

Warm Regards,

Samby

Hi,

Although my interview is scheduled Sept 10, I would like to share the experience of my friend when she had her interview. Thankfully she was approved, but there was one lady there who was denied a K1 visa. According to her, one of the proof that the consul asked from her was the financial support and she can't show him any because the money was sent through her relative, there was no paper that will show the name of the sender and the recipient. so just to be safe, just sent it through a money transfer, the charge is reasonable. I don't think it can be taken as a financial dependancy on the petitioner unless it will involved a large sum of money. If they will ask just let your fiancee explain it to the CO it's for your fortcoming wedding and you need to buy things you need (like wedding dress, shoes etc.) in her country since it's much cheaper, because that's what we are doing now.

cheers,

babycakes

Timeline
IMHO, negative & irrelevant. Possibly buying a spouse? Just my .02.

Close loved ones often need support from those in a financially better position.

9/26/2006 Met online

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

12/26/2008 Biometrics

I got a smaller credit card of mine put in my fiancé's name. That works very well. I get monthly statements and it is only $5 for her to get money. It is working out well

My aunt is going back to Vietnam so I figured I would pass some money to her to give to my fiancé to help her out with bills, food and school. I just wanted to show financial support in helping her out. I know that giving cash is hard to provide. I also figured that there might be no way of showing proof when it comes to cash.

Giving someone money is NOT proof of a relationship.

Thanks!

Warm Regards,

Samby

I also have her pay for there internet. When I was there I left her a laptop and we talk every day with Skype. That has lowered my phone bill a lot. Problem with Skype there isn't a lot of proof that we talk becides screen shots. On my credit card statement every month it shows I pay for internet. I also have her pull money to pay rent and power so the computer has power to work. In all it is still less then my phone bill.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

FYI,

For this part of the world, say Vietnam, they do expect some kind of monetary support, of course along with hand-writen letters and phone calls etc. OP wants to include proof of financial support as one of the many evidence he will need to provide HCM Consulate in support and convince the CO that his relationship is genuine! It's quite normal for USC to give money to his fiance in Vietnam. For a couple reasons: USC doesn't always know where to go and buy the roasted pig, flowers, engagement ceremonial rentals, or where to book the restaurant for their engagement reception. How to solve it? Send the money to the fiance, let her handle the logistic :) Wait, she doesn't speak English too well, send her to English school, that cost money. Hmmm where do I stay when I arrive in Vietnam to visit her? Hotel needs reservation and booking in advance, let send her some money so she can do the legwork for me. Wait, I don't expect to dine and wine for free when i'm in Vietnam, do I? Give her some cash to take care of the meals. She needs gas in her motobike to get around town and take care of all the required paperworks to submit to the Consulate prior the interivew, that needs money too!

Not all the girls will ask for money, but I think it is safe to say, the USC tents to give them extra cash, just in case, so she can be taken care of while you can't be there for her. Vietnam07 wants to make sure she is ok, that's all... I think! On the other hand, just don't over do it! Some cases I've seen, the more money you send them, the less they want to leave VN and come here with you. Watch out!

Last but not least, OP's logic is backward :) People use "cash" to hide all traces, he wants to use cash to get traced! Let me know how you do that, cuz' I did spend over $5K each trip when I was in VN, and got no receipt to prove for all the expenses! Some of it, could be tax-deductable, but oh well!

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Problem with Skype there isn't a lot of proof that we talk becides screen shots.

I won't clutter this thread with it, but I downloaded a program that created a spreadsheet of all our Skype PC to PC voice/video calls (date, time, length, etc.). It came out looking like a massive phone bill. I'll put the details in off-topic.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

buying a spouse??!!!! DID YOUEVEN READ HOW LOOONG WEVE BEEN TOGETHER??!!!!!

01-09-2007 back to US

07-07-2007 NOA1

12-17-2007 NOA2

04-01-2008 CFO

04-11-2008 U.S. arrival

04-25-2008 file SSN

AND isnt the affidavit of support all about being able to support the beneficiary.. so I WAS SAYING.. ITS A GOOD IDEA... EVEN BEFORE THE INTERVIEW the PETITIONER is already able to support the BENEFICIARY!!

01-09-2007 back to US

07-07-2007 NOA1

12-17-2007 NOA2

04-01-2008 CFO

04-11-2008 U.S. arrival

04-25-2008 file SSN

Timeline

Thank for the input Chuckandkim but for most of us who's been to Vietnam, it isn't like other countries. Vietnam is great place to have a good time. I would go once a month if I could. It’s a very fun, happening and exciting place to be if you have money, but on the other hand if you don't it is a very hard place to live. I 'm just trying to help her out a little bit here. I’m not trying to buy love or buy her of that nature. I know that this money I will never see again. It pretty much a gift that you can’t take back and I can live with that. I can hope my fiancé will use it wisely. I can only hope she understand and value me in trying to give her a better life so she can live normally. It’s hard to really know if someone loves you and value the things you do for them. Only time will tell. $500 is not going to break my bank but it may go along way for someone in needs of education (school), food and normal day to day living needs. I hope that this will last until Dec. which is 5 months from now when I will be returning to Vietnam... I am not going to sent anymore. If you she tries to request for more, this relationship is going to be in jeopardy of extinction. Thanks for the concern Chuckandkim.

FYI,

For this part of the world, say Vietnam, they do expect some kind of monetary support, of course along with hand-writen letters and phone calls etc. OP wants to include proof of financial support as one of the many evidence he will need to provide HCM Consulate in support and convince the CO that his relationship is genuine! It's quite normal for USC to give money to his fiance in Vietnam. For a couple reasons: USC doesn't always know where to go and buy the roasted pig, flowers, engagement ceremonial rentals, or where to book the restaurant for their engagement reception. How to solve it? Send the money to the fiance, let her handle the logistic :) Wait, she doesn't speak English too well, send her to English school, that cost money. Hmmm where do I stay when I arrive in Vietnam to visit her? Hotel needs reservation and booking in advance, let send her some money so she can do the legwork for me. Wait, I don't expect to dine and wine for free when i'm in Vietnam, do I? Give her some cash to take care of the meals. She needs gas in her motobike to get around town and take care of all the required paperworks to submit to the Consulate prior the interivew, that needs money too!

Not all the girls will ask for money, but I think it is safe to say, the USC tents to give them extra cash, just in case, so she can be taken care of while you can't be there for her. Vietnam07 wants to make sure she is ok, that's all... I think! On the other hand, just don't over do it! Some cases I've seen, the more money you send them, the less they want to leave VN and come here with you. Watch out!

Last but not least, OP's logic is backward :) People use "cash" to hide all traces, he wants to use cash to get traced! Let me know how you do that, cuz' I did spend over $5K each trip when I was in VN, and got no receipt to prove for all the expenses! Some of it, could be tax-deductable, but oh well!

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

Filed: Timeline

I was answering Samby, I said nothing about you, did I? :no:

Timeline

I am pretty sure you meant well. I'm just trying to explain my situation. Everyone cases are different. Some people may have it easy and some don't.

I was answering Samby, I said nothing about you, did I? :no:

" Good Luck and Thank you to all "

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

every case is different and every embassy is different but the exchange of money is not always best thing brought up at interviews i dont know about there but when they ask ahmed if i had ever given him money and he told her once, she said ok im returning you case for review. She never let him finish to say he returned the "loan" when i visited. This being the first, last and only time with the money situation.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline

I think people who've been to third world countries like Vietnam understand why we help support our fiancee while she is there. I'm not saying anything bad about Vietnam. I'm actually very fond of Vietnam and always enjoy my time there with my fiancee's family. However, comparing the situation of a fiancee in a modern country and third world country is comparing apples and durian.

Cheers.

John

9/26/2006 Met online

2/1/2007 Mailed I-129

2/12/2007 NOA-1

5/2/2007 NOA-2

8/31/2007 Pink slip

9/5/2007 Visa granted

9/6/2007 POE

12/26/2008 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.