h_bomb

studying while waiting for work authorization

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

hi all, i wanted to see if anyone knows if canadian citizens in the u.s. on k-1 visas are able to enrol in college classes. i've looked up the info regarding study permits and found out that canadians do not need one. they just need to apply to the school, be able to show that they have the funds required for one full year of full-time studies, and have a place to stay. it doesn't mention anything as to what the rules are if the canadian citizen is already present in the country on a valid visa. we won't have enough money right away to send my fiancé for full time studies, but i was hoping that he would be able to take 1 or 2 classes a week, or some online courses while waiting for his work authorization. otherwise, he'll probably be dying of boredom for 6 or 7 months. another option i was thinking about if this is not possible, is that maybe if the port of entry we use issues temporary work authorizations, that would make him eligible for part-time studies?? any ideas? thanks in advance! :)

May 19, 2008--move to the US

June 6, 2008--marriage

July 12, 2008--filed I-485 and I-765

July 14, 2008--NOA for both

October 3, 2008--work permit received

While I didn't register for full time classes, I am taking, through Continuing Education, Spanish classes. I did however have to have a SSN. I applied for that right away when I moved down here before marriage. It's sure been helpful since it seems like everything requires this number. Anyway, when I called to register for classes, that was the key thing, did I have a number. Then I was able to register.

Again, this was for part time classes, so maybe asking about full time might be key. As well, it might differ from state or city to city! You don't need EAD to attend school. EAD is for work authorization. While school SEEMS like work (hehe), meaning you have to work hard in your studies, you're not reimbursed financially, so in essence, you're not employed. I'm taking classes and volunteering. It sure helps keep me busy!

I'm in St. Louis, MO. I didn't apply for EAD either. I have my AOS interview 21st of August, which is 4 months from the date I sent my AOS application to Chicago. As well, I have read on a few other posts that you can't receive student financial aid when applying for schooling here either. Best check all of that out as well, but I do remember someone posting this in another forum.

Hope this helps

Carla (F)

Edited by cartoboy123
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians don't need Visas to come to the US and study? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they need to come in on an F-1.

Since she has come on an K-1 I guess the process may be different. Getting an SSN would definitely help.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I'm sorry...I was presuming the OP was meaning after receiving their K-1 and moving to the US...prior to working. That's how I read it anyway. We better wait until we get clarification!

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Yes I'm not too sure what the OP was talking about either.

My eyes filled with grit

I think the OP is talking about the timeframe after he enters the States on a K1, but prior to receiving the EAD.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Canadians don't need Visas to come to the US and study? Are you sure? I'm pretty sure they need to come in on an F-1.

Since she has come on an K-1 I guess the process may be different. Getting an SSN would definitely help.

I actually read somewhere that Canadians (who are visiting) don't need a visa to study as long as they are going to leave before the 6 months are up but if they are going to study for longer than that then they need a visa. I wish I'd known that before because I could have studied while visiting when my friends were at work. lol

Oh well. I'll see if I can dig up where I found that info... don't anyone take my word on it just yet ;)

hi all, i wanted to see if anyone knows if canadian citizens in the u.s. on k-1 visas are able to enrol in college classes. i've looked up the info regarding study permits and found out that canadians do not need one. they just need to apply to the school, be able to show that they have the funds required for one full year of full-time studies, and have a place to stay. it doesn't mention anything as to what the rules are if the canadian citizen is already present in the country on a valid visa. we won't have enough money right away to send my fiancé for full time studies, but i was hoping that he would be able to take 1 or 2 classes a week, or some online courses while waiting for his work authorization. otherwise, he'll probably be dying of boredom for 6 or 7 months. another option i was thinking about if this is not possible, is that maybe if the port of entry we use issues temporary work authorizations, that would make him eligible for part-time studies?? any ideas? thanks in advance! :)

I was wondering about this exact same thing because I'm considering studying if we're legally able to do it (better than having nothing to do, since we can't work, lol!) Thanks for posting this question!

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check with the individual school. They all have different requirements on who they'll admit and on what visa type (or none at all).

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

Melyssa, I'm not sure how true that may be because you have to enroll into a school, and would need some sort of documentation (like an SSN) to enroll. Plus if you were only going for one semester and taking classes, what would you get out of that as far as putting them towards a degree? I mean usually you need some type of transcript to enroll in a school and be accepted. It doesn't really seem you can walk right into a school and just enroll. You have to go through an application process.

But what misa said is the best advice. Call the school and ask what their requirements are as far as education and as far as status.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
I'm sorry...I was presuming the OP was meaning after receiving their K-1 and moving to the US...prior to working. That's how I read it anyway. We better wait until we get clarification!

Carla (F)

that is correct, carla. it'll give my fiancé something to do instead of sitting around the house for 6 or 7 months :lol:

i didn't know that he would be able to apply for an ssn before receiving work authorization, so that's good news. how did you do it? just take your visa down to the social security office?

thanks everybody for your input!! :D

June 6, 2008--marriage

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

melyssa, here is a quick link from the montreal consulate website detailing the basics:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/co...cument=canadian

i can't remember where i read the in-depth stuff about studying. all i remember is that you must first apply to the school, get approved by them and i think at that time, they send paperwork to sevis to register you. then, sevis contacts you, gets an $100 registration fee and sends you documentation which you use to enter the u.s. your registration is valid for one year. it has to be full-time studies, though, and you must be able to prove you have all funds for one complete year of school.

but, i don't know if it would work any differently, since you are already in the u.s.

hope that link helps a bit! :)

June 6, 2008--marriage

Timeline

ahh that is interesting to note. I didn't know you could do that. Just so you know though, school fees in the US do tend to be three to five times higher than what they are in Canada depending on what kind of institution you want to attend. If he wants to take full time college courses, hes going to have to go through the same kind of application process any college student does first. They will have to review his transcripts, etc, etc.

Also, they do issue temp work visas (although i dont know if you would want to call a TN a temp necessarily) as the border like a TN visa, but you have to be qualified in a certain area of expertise to obtain one. Also, if you have already applied for a K-1 and everything, I don't know if you can even apply for a TN.

Edited by thetreble

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
melyssa, here is a quick link from the montreal consulate website detailing the basics:

http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/co...cument=canadian

i can't remember where i read the in-depth stuff about studying. all i remember is that you must first apply to the school, get approved by them and i think at that time, they send paperwork to sevis to register you. then, sevis contacts you, gets an $100 registration fee and sends you documentation which you use to enter the u.s. your registration is valid for one year. it has to be full-time studies, though, and you must be able to prove you have all funds for one complete year of school.

but, i don't know if it would work any differently, since you are already in the u.s.

hope that link helps a bit! :)

Thanks! Yes, I believe that is where I read the information I alluded to in my previous post.

Actually I'm not in the U.S. yet... I'm still waiting for my interview with Montreal!

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

so if one wanted to transfer courses already taken in Canada (York U.).. and finish up in the States.. I should do that from here or could I also do that from Virginia sometime next year..?

(FT or PT classes in a Degreed Program)

- BSc Psych to be specific

Edited by liz_legend 'n Ol
vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.