K.AndreaC.Z.

Driver license Louisiana

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everybody my husband and I wnet to the driver license place and ask for a driver licene for me, theys ay they cant give a driver license bc my visa is fixing to expire, so we told them that we read at the website from louisiana driver license that people holding a fiancee once they marry a US citizen they just have to bring the marriage certificate, passport and I797 and they can give us a license, well that lady not nice, grumpy, say she cant, somebody who lives at Louisiana get theyre license before they approve the adjustment of status paper work, bc is complety stupid they are fixing to give us the employment authorization at the end of September and tehy cant give me a driver lice3nse till tehy approve the adjustment of status, so how I suppose to go work? walking??? well if somebody have the smae prolem i really apreciatte urs experiecne with us. well have to go,

Peace

Andrea and Jody.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Note: Your I-94 is about to expire, not your Visa, Your visa expired long ago when you used it to enter the USA, K-1 is a single use visa.

Anyway, most states base the license expiration on the I-94, EAD, or Green-Card, they use this as legal presence evidence, I-797 shows no expiration date or indication of if and/or when AOS will be approved.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Hi everybody my husband and I wnet to the driver license place and ask for a driver licene for me, theys ay they cant give a driver license bc my visa is fixing to expire, so we told them that we read at the website from louisiana driver license that people holding a fiancee once they marry a US citizen they just have to bring the marriage certificate, passport and I797 and they can give us a license, well that lady not nice, grumpy, say she cant, somebody who lives at Louisiana get theyre license before they approve the adjustment of status paper work, bc is complety stupid they are fixing to give us the employment authorization at the end of September and tehy cant give me a driver lice3nse till tehy approve the adjustment of status, so how I suppose to go work? walking??? well if somebody have the smae prolem i really apreciatte urs experiecne with us. well have to go,

Peace

Andrea and Jody.

dmv here in california gave me permit til my I94 expires which was july 19 2007. i went to dmv july 18 to renew or extend in able to drive. they didnt give me extensions. i came back home called the dmv hotline and the lady there referred me to their sacramento legal dept. hotline, there she just told me to fax her my I94 and passport and my biometrics NOA or any recent NOA. in three days i got my 2 month extension permit in the mail. i will just have to fax my GC if ever i get it to get my drivers card.

Removing conditions....

6/10/09 - sent I-751

6/17/09 - received NOA1 (dated 6/11/09)

6/22/09 - received NOA2 (biometrics date -7/10/09 *notice date : 6/18/09)

6/27/09 - received NOA3 (Appointment Cancelled *notice date : 6/18/09)

7/23/09 - Biometrics

10/23/09 - Card Production email

10/30/09 -Approval letter received

10/31/09 - CARD Received

Naturalization......

6/04/10 - sent N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Peace

Andrea and Jody.

dmv here in california gave me permit til my I94 expires which was july 19 2007. i went to dmv july 18 to renew or extend in able to drive. they didnt give me extensions. i came back home called the dmv hotline and the lady there referred me to their sacramento legal dept. hotline, there she just told me to fax her my I94 and passport and my biometrics NOA or any recent NOA. in three days i got my 2 month extension permit in the mail. i will just have to fax my GC if ever i get it to get my drivers card.

Driving privileges are a state thing, not national, so what California considers acceptable, is different from what Louisiana considers acceptable.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

dmv here in california gave me permit....

DMV requirements are different for every state, so your experience in California is meaningless to this case. From the Louisiana DMV website it looks like you'll need an EAD to get a drivers license.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This link (scroll down to K1) says they (Lousiana) won't issue a license to a K1 visa holder:

https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/OMV1.nsf/58...8f?OpenDocument

But at the top it says it will accept an AOS NOA1... confusing.

It also says:

Non-immigrants must show upon application for a Louisiana license or identification card that there are AT LEAST 180 DAYS left on their I-94 or Employment Authorization Document. Applicants with less than 180 days remaining shall be denied a Louisiana license or identification card. Canadian citizens may or may not have an I-94 card, but must obtain a status from The Office of Homeland Security for driver’s license or identification card issuance.
Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

This link (scroll down to K1) says they (Lousiana) won't issue a license to a K1 visa holder:

https://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/OMV1.nsf/58...8f?OpenDocument

But at the top it says it will accept an AOS NOA1... confusing.

OK thanks, I missed that page.

It says:

NOTE 3 Fiancee of US Citizen (K1): once married to a US citizen MUST provide the Passport, Marriage License Certificate and Notice Of Action I-797 for change of status to be issued a DL/ID.

When you file AOS you are no longer a K-1, but are in fact "pending AOS". Looks like LA will accept NOA1 from I-485 as prove of legal status from this and issue a DL. When you're just a K-1 (i.e. arrived but not married) you can't get a DL.

Edited by Dr_LHA

dmv here in california gave me permit....

DMV requirements are different for every state, so your experience in California is meaningless to this case. From the Louisiana DMV website it looks like you'll need an EAD to get a drivers license.

well im not an expert but im just stating my experience in case it may work with her or any other resident living in california who happen to read this thing. we are all here i just to help each other.

Removing conditions....

6/10/09 - sent I-751

7/23/09 - Biometrics

10/31/09 - CARD Received

Naturalization......

6/04/10 - sent N400

well im not an expert but im just stating my experience in case it may work with her or any other resident living in california who happen to read this thing. we are all here i just to help each other.

Please give your advice next time someone asks about California DL. DL threads occur all the time on here and they are always full of unhelpful comments about people's experience in other states that just leads to confusion. I realise that you are just trying to help.

Please give your advice next time someone asks about California DL. DL threads occur all the time on here and they are always full of unhelpful comments about people's experience in other states that just leads to confusion. I realise that you are just trying to help.

well thank you for your advice and i guess thats what i have to do. im new here so hopefully we all learn from each other. thank you.

Removing conditions....

6/10/09 - sent I-751

7/23/09 - Biometrics

10/31/09 - CARD Received

Naturalization......

6/04/10 - sent N400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I live in Louisiana also and yepp, they don't make it easy. I had to go there twice too, the first time I went with my passport and SSN and they told me I have to wait for something "official" that proofs that I was in the US legally. EAD or greencard.

So I had to wait for my EAD card, went there again and again...wasn't enough, they wanted to see my greencard.

At that point I insisted on what they post on the DMV website, that I am eligible for a DL.

The lady disappeared for a good 20 mins then came back with a piece of paper that said she needed to see my marriage certificate and the NOA2 for the K-1.

I swear she made this up just to annoy me, because when I produced the marriage certificate and showed her the NOA1 for my AOS she had no idea what the differences were, so I explained her in depth what my status here is.

I guess she was so confused with all her papers that she let me took the written test right away, had the driving test the next day and I even was able to keep my german dl...lol

Sometimes you just have to be a lil persistant....

Where in LA do you live?

Oh and yes, I could have gotten a drivers permit until I had my EAD.

Edited by nane1104

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K.AndreaC.Z., looks like your best bet is to print out the website's requirements and go back there with all your documents. Speak to a manager if you have to.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Peace

Andrea and Jody.

I live in Louisiana and my wife was issued a LA State ID Card which has the same requirements as the drivers license. She is studying to take the written test now.

My wife entered U.S. as a K-1. The rules may be different for other Visa holders so depending on what yours is it could be different.......but seems like you are probably K-1 too.

This is what my local DMV office required us to bring in and they stated that the same would be needed for the test:

1. Passport with U.S. Visa and I-94

2. Social Security Card

3. Marriage License

4. I-797 Notice of Action

Once I had all of this there was not problem getting the I.D. card.

BTW.. If your spouse has a valid D.L. from another country they will not have to take the 6 hour pre-licensing class as required for new D.L.

If I were you I would call the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles and make them clarify this if need be to your local office or go to your local office and make them look up the code and show it to you. I made them do this for me. They printed it out from the State Website.

The State DMV number is 877 368 5463.

They(State DMV) can connect you to your local office by phone. This is the only way you can get to the local office by phone as the # is not published or given out.

Hope this helps,

Chuck D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Very good post one2zee!! :thumbs:

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline

Dr_LHA - I think that what danieljoaquin wrote could be helpful to someone - he clearly stated that it was for California - many times what works for one person in one state is a help for someone in another state - it gets the ball rolling to know what may work, what a person may need to present or discuss. You aren't a moderator and saying what you did in the way you did to a newbie is unkind.

cshell

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.