Misty1979

Ordering a second birth certificate?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, just a quick question here. Since we seem to need two copies of everything for our interviews for CR1/IR1 visas, is that true as well for the long versions of birth certificates? I already sent one in to NVC, but I'm assuming come interview time, they are going to ask for one again, correct?

If I do need another original, has anyone had any trouble ordering another one? I imagine they are going to question me as to why I need another copy since I just ordered one about two months ago for NVC.

Anyways, any answers would be appreciated:)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Other Timeline

You should be able to keep the original for future puposes.

You don't need to send them originals (unless things have drastically changed since I went thru all this). You should send them photocopies, and then just take your originals with you to interviews for them to verify. That way you keep them, and don't have to order new ones for each step.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

For the DS-230, they required originals, so I sent one in with that form. I think for the interview they will want another one, but I'm not sure. I'm just not sure how hard it is to get another original copy from Vital Statistics since I have heard of a person or two getting refused when they asked for a second copy not long after they ordered their first.

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

IU went through CR-1 and did send in originals AND I had a second set of originals. I had no problem getting a second long form birth cert from Sask. It wasnt needed as MTL already had the mailed in originals!! But it was comforting to me that I had a back up set of everything,lol And it really wasn't that $$$ to get 2 of everything, maybe not required, but was peace of mind.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would think that when you go for your interview, the officer has all of your documents at his or her possession because they will want to look over them once again. Get a second copy if you think it's necessary, but they aren't going to keep your original.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most vital statistics office don't care how many you order. :) Since you no longer have the original, order another copy. Which reminds me that I should order a second copy "just in case".

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Hey Misty,

You don't need another set of originals. Send in your original BC and Marriage certificate and a copy and keep a copy for yourself. Take your copies with you to the interview just incase - probably won't need them though. The consulate will return the origianls to you at the interview and they keep the copy for your file. The copies gets put in the "mysterious" brown envelope with the rest of your file and it gets sent out with your passport visa.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a long form cert in less than 2 days in Alberta. Not sure if you need another one, i think you just need to bring the original and a copy of it with you to the interview and they keep the copy. Dont quote me on this...cuz i am not sure. good luck!

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

Timeline

If the immigration procedure was perfect, you would not require a second set, as ur originals do get transferred to Montreal, and they will hand them back to you at the interview, and in my case and many others it does work that way!! But as we all know it isnjt a perfect evolution, so it can be a peace of mind thing to have a second set. lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thanks for the replies, everyone:) I already have 2nd sets of originals for everything else (I tend to be a little too over-prepared), so I guess as long as I can trust MTL (ummm..) I won't bother getting a second BC. Then again, I guess I could order one for my own use incase I ever need one again for something non-immigration related, and that way if they do happen to lose my stuff...ta da I will have it all ready to go.

All this preparation and I most likely won't even end up with an interview in the next couple months lol. Bah humbug

And on a side note, Neiks, Flames and Misa you guys rock. You're always jumping in answering all the confusing questions us fellow Canadians throw out there, even though all 3 of you have already dealt with your own visas and put this mess behind you. All your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline
And on a side note, Neiks, Flames and Misa you guys rock. You're always jumping in answering all the confusing questions us fellow Canadians throw out there, even though all 3 of you have already dealt with your own visas and put this mess behind you. All your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

I appreciate the responses too, I was wondering about this myself. I don't think we will be getting additional originals, hopefully they won't lose them and will hand them back at the interview :)

Filed: Other Timeline
Most vital statistics office don't care how many you order. :) Since you no longer have the original, order another copy. Which reminds me that I should order a second copy "just in case".

In ontario you can only have one birth certificate, dunno about other provinces. I imagine if you try to order 2 in one year, they won't send it, or they'll need to know a dang good reason before they'll send it.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
In ontario you can only have one birth certificate, dunno about other provinces. I imagine if you try to order 2 in one year, they won't send it, or they'll need to know a dang good reason before they'll send it.

Well that's just weird!! In Alberta you can have as many as you like. You do have to prove who you are to them before they will issue one - and for the 'long form' you have to give them a reason why you want it - but that seems reasonable.

Well that's just weird!! In Alberta you can have as many as you like. You do have to prove who you are to them before they will issue one - and for the 'long form' you have to give them a reason why you want it - but that seems reasonable

Vital Statistics is a provincial thing so it will vary among the provinces. I don't think it mattered in Manitoba how many you had or why you want them. Just fill out the form, pay the fee and send it in.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Really? Does it matter which one you ordered? I ordered 2 last year (one short and one long) with no issues. Got them both in a matter of a couple of days. I don't remember ever having to write in a reason for ordering them.

Thanks! :) I'm not done yet though... AOS interview next month. I'm also pretty much tied to the computer all day and I like being here on VJ. :) Well, not the Off Topic forum. :P

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.