nathanp

age requirement

53 posts in this topic

my fiancee is 17 years old but will turn 18 on sept. 8th of 07'.we want to do the fiancee visa.but we arent sure if she needs her parents permission to do it or bcuz she is 18 she needs no parents or legal guardians permission and the onlything that can stop her from coming is the embassy themselves.can any1 tell me if its true or not about her age and her parents permission.she is from the philippines and i am a legal united states resident.im 20 years old.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my fiancee is 17 years old but will turn 18 on sept. 8th of 07'.we want to do the fiancee visa.but we arent sure if she needs her parents permission to do it or bcuz she is 18 she needs no parents or legal guardians permission and the onlything that can stop her from coming is the embassy themselves.can any1 tell me if its true or not about her age and her parents permission.she is from the philippines and i am a legal united states resident.im 20 years old.

Are you a resident or a citizen? They mean two different things and you can only do a K-1 or K-3 as a citizen.

You will need parents permission if she is not of legal age where you plan to get married. It might be better to wait a couple months to file until she is 18 and then you should have less issues.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If she is of legal age by the time the visa is granted, she doesn't need parental permission. I'm not talking about marriage permission but legal age to leave the PI without parental permission. She's going to be 18 before any visa is issued and she does not have to be for you to file the petition.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have a 5 or 6 year wait if you are a Resident.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

i am a legal united states citizen.and we havent started the visa process yet.i havent visited either.but we r trying to find out if she needs her parents permission to come here on a fiancee visa.her parents dont want me marrying her there so she has decided to come here to the united states on a fiancee visa(K1) and get married here after she has turned 18 and i have visited for proof of our relationship and to meet each other in person.

Are you a US permanent resident or a citizen? You first said that you were a resident, now you say you're a citizen - if you're a resident you're not able to file for a K1, only citizens are eligible to file for the visa.

As long as your fiancee is at the age where she's allowed to leave the PI, she doesn't require her parents' permission to come to the United States on a fiance visa.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

i am an american.born in lousiana and thats where my birth certificate says i was born.i was raised there for 18 years and almost 2 years in missouri now a few months in arizona.yesterday was the first day i left the untied staes to go just a few miles into mexico.i am not from any other country.only the united states so im a citizen born and raised.all american.and made in america.hmmm.yeah a citizen.i know i can apply for the visa with out a doubt and bring her here legally.but i wasnt sure what age she had to be to come here without her parents permission bcuz of what i ahve been told by her older sisters husband.and i know he doesnt like me bcuz he says im too young for my fiancee.same for the rest of her family.

i am an american.born in lousiana and thats where my birth certificate says i was born.i was raised there for 18 years and almost 2 years in missouri now a few months in arizona.yesterday was the first day i left the untied staes to go just a few miles into mexico.i am not from any other country.only the united states so im a citizen born and raised.all american.and made in america.hmmm.yeah a citizen.i know i can apply for the visa with out a doubt and bring her here legally.but i wasnt sure what age she had to be to come here without her parents permission bcuz of what i ahve been told by her older sisters husband.and i know he doesnt like me bcuz he says im too young for my fiancee.same for the rest of her family.

Well for future reference, when it comes to immigration, Resident (Legal Permanent Resident or LPR) and Citizen mean two different things.

But you might have another issue, since you said that yesterday was the first time you went out of the US, have you met your fiancee in person? Has she come here? Thats also another requirement to file for K-1.

There are some things that Philippines does differently than most countries which could cause issues with age. (Required to attend CFO seminar) You might want to ask the age question is the Philippines forum as well.

keTiiDCjGVo

Okay, okay, just making sure. :D

The other concern is that you may need written permission from the parents stating that your fiancee is allowed to marry you if she's not of age in the area where you two intend to marry.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Disaster waiting to happen

Anyway an irrelevant question, you have not met yet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good Luck

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

no we havent met yet.and im planning on it now.we have been making plans but since we dont know if she can come here on a fiancee visa without her parents permission when she turns 18.we will get married when i visit.so to save money and time.we r trying to find out for sure if she can come here first b4 i visit and find out she cant come and then wish we would have gotten married.the onlything im concerned with is rather or not she can come here legally on a fiancee visa without her parents permission.but i have asked the question b4 on yahoo answers and havent gotten the answer i need.but on here im getting more of what i need and thanks every1 who is replying.i appreciate it alot.

no we havent met yet.and im planning on it now.we have been making plans but since we dont know if she can come here on a fiancee visa without her parents permission when she turns 18.we will get married when i visit.so to save money and time.we r trying to find out for sure if she can come here first b4 i visit and find out she cant come and then wish we would have gotten married.the onlything im concerned with is rather or not she can come here legally on a fiancee visa without her parents permission.but i have asked the question b4 on yahoo answers and havent gotten the answer i need.but on here im getting more of what i need and thanks every1 who is replying.i appreciate it alot.

If your talking about getting married in the Philippines, you need a spousal visa (K-3 or CR-1/IR-1) to bring her here. For that you can only apply once you have married. K-1 is to bring a fiancee to the US.

To get married in the Philippines, you need to follow this:

C. Parent’s Consent or Advice. Under Philippine law, the legal age for marriage is 18. If the contracting parties are between the ages of 18 and 21, they must present written consent to the marriage from their father, mother or legal guardian. Any contracting party between the age of 21 and 25 must present written parental advice, i.e., a written indication that the parents are aware of the couple’s intent to marry.

keTiiDCjGVo

no we arent getting married in the philippines.her parents wont let us.so she has decided to do the fiancee k1 visa instead bcuz her parents r also trying to make her find another guy but she doesnt want to.so she is also now in a hurry to get away from her parents so they will leave her alone.so she has asked me to dd the fiancee visa so i can visit her sooner and get her here sooner.even her aunt finally convinced her to take the fiancee visa.

no we arent getting married in the philippines.her parents wont let us.so she has decided to do the fiancee k1 visa instead bcuz her parents r also trying to make her find another guy but she doesnt want to.so she is also now in a hurry to get away from her parents so they will leave her alone.so she has asked me to dd the fiancee visa so i can visit her sooner and get her here sooner.even her aunt finally convinced her to take the fiancee visa.

Your best off waiting until she is at least 18. Which will probably be the case anyway, since you need to meet in person first. But in general, once your 18, you can get married to whomever you want without parents permission in the US. But I still suggest checking your states laws just to be safe. You will need to meet in person before you will be able to file for a fiancee visa. Are you able to meet the other requirements for the fiancee visa?

I'm not really sure exactly how the CFO part plays into this, you may want to ask in the Philippines forum. She may end up needing parents permission not to get married, but to leave the country to get married.

keTiiDCjGVo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.