Arvinda

Did you have to surrender your UK/home country licence?

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi, I have a UK driving license and have been driving on it here in Georgia. I am a perm resident. I went to take my test for a GA license on the weekend. I passed the written and then went to book the practical - they told me that I would have to surrender my UK license in order to get the GA license. That I would also be given a learners permit until I got the GA license. They also said they would not return it to me despite the fact that I said I needed it to drive in the UK. I know they make drivers from other states do this but felt it quite ridiculous to have them take away a UK license. Has anyone had this problem? I now wish I had not presented my UK license to them. Please help! :help:

My father lived and worked in England for several years and was required to surrender his Australian drivers licence in order to hold a UK licence. He made several return trips to Australia during this time and it would have been useful to have an Australian licence on these occasions. As ridiculous as it seems to you, its not just a US phenomenon...

01/25/2007 Married on the beach in Australia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

02/15/2007 I-130 mailed to NSC

02/26/2007 NOA1 (I-130) received

06/22/2007 Approved

02/27/2007 I-129F mailed

03/12/2007 NOA1 (I-129F) received

05/30/2007 Approved petition forwarded from NVC to Sydney

07/03/2007 Interview - K3 Visa approved

07/15/2007 arrived in the U S of A

AOS

07/23/2007 TB skin test and I-693A

07/26/2007 AOS application mailed

07/27/2007 AOS application received (Chicago)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

(I didn't have time to read all the responses, sorry if I'm repeating)

In NY they require you to surrender your UK license but supposedly they keep it in a file and you can go request it if you need to return to the UK and want it back. I am assuming they make you swap the NY for the UK.

That said, no one ever asked my hubby for his UK license at the DMV so he still has it.

britishmensig-4_zps4475e6b2.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have just checked the Georgia legislation and it states that in order to receive a Georgia DL you must surrender all previous Driver's Licenses in your possession. So, you can try and stand your ground and hold on to your original license but, if you are a resident you are not allowed to drive with it in the State, so you kind of defeat your purpose.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

[

quote name='Kathryn41' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:57 AM' post='1086582]

I have just checked the Georgia legislation and it states that in order to receive a Georgia DL you must surrender all previous Driver's Licenses in your possession.

So make sure you do not have it in your possesion. No need to complicate matters

Plus you can not surrender the license, only the evidence of it. And the Euro one comes in two parts, they probably do not know that.

So, you can try and stand your ground and hold on to your original license but, if you are a resident you are not allowed to drive with it in the State, so you kind of defeat your purpose.

You can use it out of State and out of Country, and as ID. You can not use it in State assuming you are a resident and have exceeded whatever the local time allowance is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I dont believe I ever told them at my local DMV that I had a UK license, they never asked and it did not occur to me to show it to them. So I still have my UK license. I just have my parents address in London listed on it. I used it when we spent Christmas in the UK to rent a car and was glad I had it as they did not seem to know what to do with my husband's Iowa License (it was a small local rental company). It does seem a bit crazy to make you hand over your hard-earned home license!

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I took my florida driving test about 3 weeks ago and i showed them my UK license and they gave me it back, i passed and that was that, i still have my Uk licence.

Just tell the DMV you have miss placed your license or lost it, i know people have done that to keep there overseas driving license

.png

K-1

4/8/2006 - Met online (Lisa in Orlando, Spencer in London)

10/1/2006 - Met in person (Orlando, Key West, Georgia, St.Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau 10/1-23/2006)

10/18/2006 - Got engaged (somewhere between St. Maarten and Florida)

10/23/2006 - Sent I-129F

10/30/2006 - TSC received I-129F

11/3/2006 - NOA1

11/8/2006 - Touched

11/18/2006 - I-129F was sent to CSC

1/14/2007 - Lisa goes to London & Tenerife to see Spence 1/14-28/2007

1/26/2007 - NOA2 approval!

1/28/2007 - Touched

2/14/2007 - Packet 3 arrived

2/21/2007 - Packet 3 sent

3/01/2007 - packet 4 arrived

3/14/2007 - Medical

3/28/2007 - Interview - APPROVED!

5/4/2007 - POE - Orlando, FL

5/18/2007 - Wedding Day!

5/21/2007 - Apply for SSN

5/29/2007 - Receive SSN in mail

6/27/2007 - Received FL Drivers License!

AOS

6/6/2007 - Mail in packet

6/13/2007 - Received in Chicago

7/20/2007 - Tfr to California

9/28/2007 - APPROVED!!!!!

EAD

6/28/2007 - Moved to MSC

9/4/2007 - Received the EAD in mail as a surprise!

AP

6/28/2007 - Moved to MSC

8/29/2007 - Received the AP

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When my wife was in the UK, they refused to let her drive a manual car on her American driving licence, she had to drive an automatic, and this was an Avis at Gatwick airport. I didn't have to surrender my UK licence when I past my test in Missouri.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

When my wife was in the UK, they refused to let her drive a manual car on her American driving licence, she had to drive an automatic, and this was an Avis at Gatwick airport. I didn't have to surrender my UK licence when I past my test in Missouri.

They were just being idiots. There's no law that says you can't drive a manual in the UK with a foriegn license. The UK is the only place I know that has licenses that distinguish people who can't drive a manual, combine this with the usual stereotype of America that everyone drives an automatic (which is not true) and some idiots at the Avis counter who probably get a comission for getting you to drive a more expensive automatic, and you have the above situation.

As I said, I have rented cars in the UK many times and never had this issue. If I did I would certainly give the rental car rep a significant piece of my mind.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

They were just being idiots. There's no law that says you can't drive a manual in the UK with a foriegn license. The UK is the only place I know that has licenses that distinguish people who can't drive a manual, combine this with the usual stereotype of America that everyone drives an automatic (which is not true) and some idiots at the Avis counter who probably get a comission for getting you to drive a more expensive automatic, and you have the above situation.

As I said, I have rented cars in the UK many times and never had this issue. If I did I would certainly give the rental car rep a significant piece of my mind.

What has law got to do with it.

It is their car they can hire it to whoever they wish, or not, and put whatever conditions on that hire they wish. If they prefer not to hire a stick shift to someone with a US licence their past experience of doing so might has shown them it wasn't a very good idea.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

What has law got to do with it.

It is their car they can hire it to whoever they wish, or not, and put whatever conditions on that hire they wish. If they prefer not to hire a stick shift to someone with a US licence their past experience of doing so might has shown them it wasn't a very good idea.

This is a fair point.

However in my experience people who can't drive a stick shift would certainly not choose to rent one. A friendly question as to whether they wish to rent an automatic or a stick would certainly suffice, rather than a policy of banning all US drivers from renting stick shifts.

My point however is that I don't believe such a policy exists with these rental car agencies. I have certainly never encountered it, in my experiences of renting many times in the UK with a US license, and can only imagine that the person who tells someone they can't rent a stick shift is most likely doing so from their own personal stereotype that Americans can't drive stick. Perhaps I've never been told I can't rent a stick shift is because I'm obviously English, despite having a US license.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.