jonandmary

The road ahead (K1)

27 posts in this topic

If you don't mind I'd like to share my story just for feed back. This process is over all nerve racking and I and just very concerned that there might be road bumps in the future.

The story begins maybe 7 years ago when I started talking to Mary on instant messenger. We did not meet off a dating website, in fact I think it was our common tastes in music that really got us talking at first. She lived in Toronto and I lived in Milwaukee. We talked off an on, online & over the phone. We had other relationships, she went to college, I moved to Chicago for a better job. About 2 years ago we started talking almost daily over the phone and got the balls to finally meet in person. We really enjoyed each others company so we thought it would be a good move. I flew over to Canada in March of 06. We spent the next few months talking and thinking about it. She finally told her parents and since August of 06 we have seen each other at least once a month. Regular plane trips and I have started driving.

As things were progressing I found a nice Immigration attorney in my area that gave me a rundown of the process. We were talking about getting married and I saw the long road ahead. In April 2007 I proposed to Mary in Niagara falls. We were up in a tower were we could both see New York and Ontario. It was a great day - she kept shaking and crying (a good thing).

So here is where we are going from here. In the last week of November I am filing my petition for the K1 visa. Our wedding date is set for October 11th 2008. If the visa is issued early and not extended then we will have to get married in a private ceremony before the actual date.

Between my friends at Customs/Border Protection and the attorney I have been rather calm about everything . However reading online here and hearing everyones different stories it really gives me fear in what is really going to happen.

Once I apply for the K1 Mary still needs to be able to come to the US. I do not think that will be a big problem. My sister is getting married in March of 2008. I figure if she brings along a print out of the return ticket, a letter from her employer saying she is a current employee, and the wedding invitation that even if a border official questions her they would have no reason to refuse her entry.

I had thought that once the K1 is approved she would get her visa and then have 4 months to use it. What I read here tho is that she has 4 months to get the visa after being approved. Once she gets her visa is she forced onto a plane or something? If things happen too fast we need to be able to stretch the time out as much as possible. I want to apply early enough tho where any problems would not delay our marriage.

Once she is here and married it is my understanding that the following would have to take place. I don't mean each specific form or interview and what not - but more of a general task list:

1. Apply for adjustment of status
  2. Get interviewed
  3. Obtain a green card
  4. Legally change her name? (confused as to when it goes into affect)
  5. Apply for SSN
  6. Obtain Drivers License
  7. Get her on the auto insurance
  8. Set up Joint Bank accounts
  9. Apply for a Credit Card
  10. Search for new employment
  11. Go back and have a Reception in Toronto

I think the only other problems on my list will be the marriage license - there are notes about providing residency information (getting married in Milwaukee - no longer living in Wisconsin) as well as requiring both of us to bring our SS cards. I have written the clerk's office tho to get more information.

On the good side - I really enjoy reading other's posts here. We feel so 'un-normal' with doing this and reading other's stories really made us feel like we are not alone.

-Jon

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

Engaged April 2007 Niagara Falls

K-1 Sent August 10th 2007 (CSC)

K-1 Received August 13th 2007

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

NVC Received February 1st 2008

NVC Sent to MTL February 5th 2008

Packet 3 Received February 19th 2008

Checklist Delivered to MTL February 29th 2008

Medical Exam March 6th 2008

Interview in MTL May 16th 2008 (Approved)

Received Visa May 21st 2008

Move from Canada September 1st 2008

POE @ Pearson Toronto - September 12th 2008

Wedding October 11th 2008

AOS Sent October 17th 2008 (REJECTED OCT 21st)

AOS RE-Sent October 27th 2008

NOA's Received November 6th 2008

RFE (No W2's/1099's) November 12th 2008

Biometrics Appointment November 24th 2008

Case sent to CSC December 3rd 2008

Bunch of Touches in January

Card Production Ordered February 27th 2008

Baby Adam born October 11th 2010 (2 year anniversary)

I-171 NOA Received December 17th 2010

Filed: Timeline

The timing of your visa is tricky tho. Nothing is definite - she may get hers quickly or it may take a long time.

Once she has the K1 visa in her passport, she can only enter the US to marry & stay. She cannot visit after the K1 is issued - there is a very small chance otherwise - it is at the discretion of CBP.

Look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

:guides:

Search the timelines as well & filter for your service center (VT or Cali) & which Canadian embassy.

Edited by devilette

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

First, take a deep breath and relax. You two will be fine. It is so much easier for a US Citizen + Canadian than other combinations for multiple reasons. China is a pain because I can't read/write Chinese, can't visit like you two can, communist countries are more scrutinized differently, etc.

In your situation you are doing the right thing by starting the process. It is going to take 4-8 months on average. She can still visit here and do whatever she wants as long as you two don't get married and she doesn't overstay her visit.

Once the petition is approved and she goes for the interview and gets the visa, she has 6 months to actually travel over here. The 4 months I believe is the time between approval of the petition and applying with the consulate for the visa and even if this expires you can get it renewed.

So we are looking at this timeframe:

1) Sent in I29F petition - 4-8 months until it is approved if all goes well.

2) 1 month or so for it to get to Passport/Visa place

3) 1 month or so for them to forward it to the consulate

4) Consulate takes some time to contact fiancee and send them the information and packet.

5) I believe it is at this point where they have 4 months to finish the paperwork, get the medical, etc., and apply for the visa. If the time expires for whatever reason, you can get it renewed.

6) More time for interview appointment schedule

7) After interview visa issued - fiancee has 6 months to enter US

8) Once they enter US you have 90 days to get married

First, take a deep breath and relax. You two will be fine. It is so much easier for a US Citizen + Canadian than other combinations for multiple reasons. China is a pain because I can't read/write Chinese, can't visit like you two can, communist countries are more scrutinized differently, etc.

In your situation you are doing the right thing by starting the process. It is going to take 4-8 months on average. She can still visit here and do whatever she wants as long as you two don't get married and she doesn't overstay her visit.

Canadian filers are under the same scuntiny as other, generalizing is not correct. Some countries are higher fraud, yes.

The 2 Canadian embassies vary greatly - Montreal takes much longer than Vancouver to process cases.

Montreal - Current backlog taking about 5-7 months from sending in packet3 checklist.

The timing of your visa is tricky tho. Nothing is definite - she may get hers quickly or it may take a long time.

Once she has the K1 visa in her passport, she can only enter the US to marry & stay. She cannot visit after the K1 is issued - there is a very small chance otherwise - it is at the discretion of CBP.

Look here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

:guides:

Search the timelines as well & filter for your service center (VT or Cali) & which Canadian embassy.

I didnt see that guide before - thanks! The service center is NB and there is not many people dealing with the Toronto Consulate here as far as I could see. Looking at the time lines makes me think it will be a good 6-7 months.

First, take a deep breath and relax. You two will be fine.

In your situation you are doing the right thing by starting the process. It is going to take 4-8 months on average.

Thank you! When you say 4-8 months do you mean just before the application is processed or do you mean until the interview? If I look at you time line it said 4-8 months at first and listed more wait times between processes.

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

It is definitely possible for her to visit with the K-1 in her passport. I did several times before finally crossing for good two days before it expired.

I didnt see that guide before - thanks! The service center is NB and there is not many people dealing with the Toronto Consulate here as far as I could see. Looking at the time lines makes me think it will be a good 6-7 months.

If she is living in NB the consulate for her interview will be Montreal. The service center refers to the US service center which will process your petition. Toronto does not process visa applications.... only Montreal and Vancouver do.

When you say 4-8 months do you mean just before the application is processed or do you mean until the interview? If I look at you time line it said 4-8 months at first and listed more wait times between processes.

The average time from filing to interview is ~ 9 months. This can be lengthened by delaying submission of requested information. (see my timeline.) Once the visa is issued, she has 6 months to use it.

All the best in your process, Jon.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

When you say 4-8 months do you mean just before the application is processed or do you mean until the interview? If I look at you time line it said 4-8 months at first and listed more wait times between processes.

Teh Service centers as of tomorrow are either Cali or Vermont.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The only consulates for Canada/US immigration are Vancouver or Montreal.

Vancouver averages 76 days from consulate receiving approval-interview & Montreal averages 176.

Edited by devilette

If she is living in NB the consulate for her interview will be Montreal. The service center refers to the US service center which will process your petition. Toronto does not process visa applications.... only Montreal and Vancouver do.

Sorry, I meant NE for Nebraska - where the application would go to (I thought since I live in IL). She lives in Toronto so wouldnt her interview be there? So if Toronto was not process visa applications that means she'll have to fly to Montreal just for the interview?

It looks like I might apply sooner than November to get the ball rolling.

Edited by jonandmary

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

Sorry, I meant NE for Nebraska - where the application would go to. She lives in Toronto so wouldnt her interview be there? So if Toronto was not process visa applications that means she'll have to fly to Montreal just for the interview?

It looks like I might apply sooner than November to get the ball rolling.

She will have to go to Montreal, yes.

There is a Canadian forum on here, I suggest you browse it for country specific answers.

Edited by devilette

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

as Devilette said above, as of tomorrow Nebraska won't be doing K-1s anymore... well, they haven't been for a while, but it becomes official tomorrow :)

so you'll have to send to either California or Vermont - see Devilette's link a few posts above

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

This Montreal thing is making me question my faith in my immigration attorney. :(

In fact if this process could take 9 months on average but could easily take more I really have to get rolling soon with this.

For example: Jaseball posted that it is good for 6 months and you have to get married with in 90 days. I've read in other places and been told by my attorney that it is 4 months (and possible to get another 4 month extension) and then we have to get married with in 30 days of her arriving.

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

as someone said earlier try to stay calm , thats the best meds in getting all the way to the end of this journey ,

while the whole process is goin she can still visit you , as long as she proved to have strong ties in canada ,like bills and stuff , ( am in process of K1 and still go to see my fiance , and he comes to see me here in montreal) yes her interview will take place in montreal , but her medical ( she will get information about it in package 3 after the I 129f is aproved in the states you get NOA2 , then it goes to NVC ( nation visa center where your fiance will get her case number from montreal assignd , from NVC it will go to montreal , they send package 3 , i know i know Lonnnnnnng story and even lonnnnnnnnnnger waite once montreal gets package 3 back till the interview , I just got an e mail from them telling me a min of 6 month waite before the interview , ( well in the meantime I made a medical apointment and will continue goin to visit my fiance every month for about a week till the interview good luck and welcome to the lonnnnnnng journey Lona

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

This Montreal thing is making me question my faith in my immigration attorney. :(

In fact if this process could take 9 months on average but could easily take more I really have to get rolling soon with this.

For example: Jaseball posted that it is good for 6 months and you have to get married with in 90 days. I've read in other places and been told by my attorney that it is 4 months (and possible to get another 4 month extension) and then we have to get married with in 30 days of her arriving.

VJ is a fabulous place for information. We are no substitute for a lawyer tho. You can choose to use a lawyer or not.

Once you get the visa it is good for 6 months. You have 90 days to get married after US entry.

Once again, :guides: they have all the info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My NOA 2 is good for 4 month ( will try to e mail montreal for an extension ) once she arrives in the states you guys got 90 days to get married from date of arrival

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.