rebeccajo

"Filer" threads

189 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Marilyn, whether everybody agrees on July 26 or July 31, or how the poster said it, or how the respondent replied, I think we can agree on one thing here.

In these scenarios, you have a member trying to control 'data'.

Data would best be controlled within the timeline function of VJ.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
The search tool will search within threads to find information as well (by default). In general, I see both sides of the coin. On the one side of the coin the diversity of threads build (as was said) a great sense of community and friendship which is something that many people are looking for through the process (the feeling of being all alone in immigration is tough when generally you do not meet people day-to-day in the same situation). The other side is to improve organization and make things easier to find. As of now the best ways to find things are the primary site search on the top of every page, the the forums only search, you can also search within a topic at the bottom of each topic, and also finally the portal page where you can find topics from people of a similar interests as yourself very quickly. I am very open to suggestions and ways to improve and make the site even more welcoming and easy to use :).

Thank you for understanding both sides of the coin and not being one sided as a few people are on VJ. Being pigion holed, and stubborn never helps any one get any where. I apprecisate the fact that you are fair by taking feedback suggestions and ideas from all perspectives.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

I think adding a welcome PM to new members makes great sense. Should have done this ages ago. Also right now to find your "buddies" or people with similar immigration benefits and locations you have to go to the portal page -- like you said members would likely want to get this information automatically in the timeline section (maybe a link that automatically shows all similar timelines (or filters to only show them)... great idea too.

As for trimming down the forums and changing things i will begin to circulate some of these ideas to see what people say. The red text however in the menu might be odd though so we probably would have to find another way to emphasize them ;).

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

The new members intro PM could be based on this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=newmembers

but updated with newer guide information as well...

just a starting point at least.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Uling, just for clarity....

I'm talking about eliminating ALL the filer threads. I know in my original post I point out the threads in AOS - my bad for that.

IMO this 'new culture' divides the members - it doesn't unify them at all. And it makes those left at the tail-end of each month more stressed than they need to be.

You know, I absolutely disagree with you. These threads are part of the VJ community. I really don't see how it "divides" the members as you say. Some members are just at different points in their Journey. These threads are a place to gather with other members that are going thru exactly what you are at the time.

I think it would be nothing but blatent censorship to get rid of a particular thread, just because it a few people think they are useless. What might be useless to you is not to most other people.

I thought the whole reason to start the "progress report" sub-forums was to report your progress with your phase of the journey. Inside that sub-forum, if you are a July Filer, then that is who you want to talk to mostly because that is who you have most in common with at the time, and the best way to do that is to have a thread labeled with your month. Really what is the big deal?????

reach449

"March Filer" :whistle:

Edited by reach449

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

"Monthly" date time-tracking serves no useful purpose to the site. No worthwhile data can be obtained from it. During petition processing, it's more useful to compare your progress to other people who filed at your same Service Center. During AOS, it's more useful to compare people going through your same District Office.

The only purpose of the "monthly filer" threads is comraderie. There's nothing wrong with that at all unless useful information gets buried. I think Laura's suggestion that informational posts within those threads be 'split' from the filer thread is the best solution.

Unfortunately, not everyone is processed through a district office during AOS. A huge percentage of us are sent directly to California without an interview. The monthly threads allow us to track this progress and to see where we are in the timelines. This post, back in May, requested some changes to the AOS timeline feature to address this problem. I see that as resolving one of the issues with the monthly filer threads.

Captain, I like your New Members Guide and think it's a great idea. I'll be happy to provide input with suggestions and editing.

WRT useful information getting buried inside the monthly filer threads, well.... this is something which happens in a great majority of threads. If the main concern is useful information being "lost", why not address this across the board instead of targeting one particular type?

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Uling, just for clarity....

I'm talking about eliminating ALL the filer threads. I know in my original post I point out the threads in AOS - my bad for that.

IMO this 'new culture' divides the members - it doesn't unify them at all. And it makes those left at the tail-end of each month more stressed than they need to be.

You know, I absolutely disagree with you. These threads are part of the VJ community. I really don't see how it "divides" the members as you say. Some members are just at different points in their Journey. These threads are a place to gather with other members that are going thru exactly what you are at the time.

I think it would be nothing but blatent censorship to get rid of a particular thread, just because it a few people think they are useless. What might be useless to you is not to most other people.

I thought the whole reason to start the "progress report" sub-forums was to report your progress with your phase of the journey. Inside that sub-forum, if you are a July Filer, then that is who you want to talk to mostly because that is who you have most in common with at the time, and the best way to do that is to have a thread labeled with your month. Really what is the big deal?????

reach449

"March Filer" :whistle:

It's not a big deal. It's only my opinion and it's only a suggestion. I have the opinion and have made the suggestion based upon watching thousands of people use VJ over the last 2.5 years.

The 'problem' I have with the 'filer' threads (as I said earlier) is valuable information within those threads being lost by people who are not using them. I believe this to be a disservice to the community.

I also believe that a 'monthly' mindset is creating a false sense of normal case progression amongst new members. The month you filed for a benefit has little to do with how your case should move along. We know this because of the wide disparity of performance between the two Service Centers. With AOS, it makes even less difference as District Offices are wildly different from one another in performance. Not to mention the dichotomy of AOS transfers to CSC, which causes some petitions to come to completion far earlier than others.

I understand the 'who you want to hang out' aspect of 'monthly filer' threads. But for some reason, there seems to be growing hysteria in our community regarding the speed in which cases are approved. I do not know what is causing this. I am wondering if the possible cause is members spending too much time within those threads, and not venturing out into the rest of the community to learn the full picture.

I am sorry if you view my suggestion as 'censorship'. But I believe it is the responsibility of the admin of a site to keep it on its course. Permitting an incorrect perception of how immigration REALLY works to perpetuate itself is, IMO, very detrimental to the overall health of all who use the site.

I suggested the much criticized K1 subforum mainly because I saw some of the same hysteria that RJ mentioned - meaning people start to panic if their case is not adjudicated at the same rate as someone else's (who filed around the same time as them). I thought it'd be nice to have a section where people who have not yet filed could go to get answers w/out having to wade through the mass of 'tracking' threads.

I figured it was only a matter of time before those same type threads spread around the board. I think the idea of it for AOS is totally useless, quite frankly, and I have no interest in participating in the one I would 'qualify' for - mainly because I can't see what it would gain me. I may scan it to see the user names of folks who started AOS around our same time, but that's about it. That is information which, if I really wanted it (and these threads didn't exist), I could find via the VJ timeline.

I agree with RJ on this one, but I also am quite aware that this seems to be the direction folks here want to go in. Why, I have no idea.

SA4userbar.jpg

Believe it or not, people actually bounced plenty of excitement off each other before the 'filer' threads. So there's really nothing 'evolutionary' here. There's just more separation.

The "Search" feature here has always been woeful. Using it won't change until it's more user friendly.

The timeline function, if modified, could give people the 'monthly' data they need. Although, why they want it, I have no idea. They'd be much better served looking at data for their Service Center and/or Consulate (at K1 stage) or District Office (at AOS stage).

But that's YOUR opinion, Becca....and speaking as someone who has participated in the filer thread, and one who's going through this now....I like them. Apparantly a lot of other people do too. You didn't have them when you were going through, but that doesn't mean they're useless. They serve a purpose. It's evolution.

I have to say, for you to come in all 'Get rid of them' seems a bit misguided as well as '#######?'. If you don't like them, don't read them. But there's no need to kill the joy that the rest of us get from them.

Is it 'misguided' and '#######' because it's my opinion? I bet if it were yours, it would just be calling it as you see it.

"Monthly" date time-tracking serves no useful purpose to the site. No worthwhile data can be obtained from it. During petition processing, it's more useful to compare your progress to other people who filed at your same Service Center. During AOS, it's more useful to compare people going through your same District Office.

The only purpose of the "monthly filer" threads is comraderie. There's nothing wrong with that at all unless useful information gets buried. I think Laura's suggestion that informational posts within those threads be 'split' from the filer thread is the best solution.

No, it's misguided because since you feel they have no value, you want to take them away from those who do.

Imagine how many 'I GOT MY NOA1!!!!!!' threads there'd be otherwise...

I suggested the much criticized K1 subforum mainly because I saw some of the same hysteria that RJ mentioned - meaning people start to panic if their case is not adjudicated at the same rate as someone else's (who filed around the same time as them). I thought it'd be nice to have a section where people who have not yet filed could go to get answers w/out having to wade through the mass of 'tracking' threads.

I figured it was only a matter of time before those same type threads spread around the board. I think the idea of it for AOS is totally useless, quite frankly, and I have no interest in participating in the one I would 'qualify' for - mainly because I can't see what it would gain me. I may scan it to see the user names of folks who started AOS around our same time, but that's about it. That is information which, if I really wanted it (and these threads didn't exist), I could find via the VJ timeline.

I agree with RJ on this one, but I also am quite aware that this seems to be the direction folks here want to go in. Why, I have no idea.

I thought you suggested that cos it hurt you to see people gettign approved before you?

WRT useful information getting buried inside the monthly filer threads, well.... this is something which happens in a great majority of threads. If the main concern is useful information being "lost", why not address this across the board instead of targeting one particular type?

Well, maybe it's more noticeable because the threads are so huge. The bigger any thread, the more likely good info is to get buried. These threads just happen to stick out.

I think splitting a salient point out of any thread is an excellent idea. I have a feeling though that many others would not agree. I find it interesting that members love to micro-manage their own cases, but when Admin attempts to manage the board it creates a broo-ha-ha.

Believe it or not, people actually bounced plenty of excitement off each other before the 'filer' threads. So there's really nothing 'evolutionary' here. There's just more separation.

The "Search" feature here has always been woeful. Using it won't change until it's more user friendly.

The timeline function, if modified, could give people the 'monthly' data they need. Although, why they want it, I have no idea. They'd be much better served looking at data for their Service Center and/or Consulate (at K1 stage) or District Office (at AOS stage).

But that's YOUR opinion, Becca....and speaking as someone who has participated in the filer thread, and one who's going through this now....I like them. Apparantly a lot of other people do too. You didn't have them when you were going through, but that doesn't mean they're useless. They serve a purpose. It's evolution.

I have to say, for you to come in all 'Get rid of them' seems a bit misguided as well as '#######?'. If you don't like them, don't read them. But there's no need to kill the joy that the rest of us get from them.

Is it 'misguided' and '#######' because it's my opinion? I bet if it were yours, it would just be calling it as you see it.

No, it's misguided because since you feel they have no value, you want to take them away from those who do.

Imagine how many 'I GOT MY NOA1!!!!!!' threads there'd be otherwise...

Lisa - Kindly read and attempt to comprehend my entire post. Doing so will fully explain to you what I meant. Not what you'd like to believe I meant.

I thought you suggested that cos it hurt you to see people gettign approved before you?

Essentially, that's true - which is sort of what I said above, without making it personal. Although I'm not sure I'd describe what I felt as 'hurt'; panicked or worried is probably a better term.

So you and D finally filed, eh? I thought it was supposed to be in January? Oh well, January, July - guess it doesn't make much difference.

SA4userbar.jpg

Lisa - Kindly read and attempt to comprehend my entire post. Doing so will fully explain to you what I meant. Not what you'd like to believe I meant.

becca...your first post here...'these threads need to be killed...they serve no purpose whatsoever' is what I'm referring to. Because YOU felt they were pointless, you have no problem coming and pizzing all over something that apparantly gives joy to many on here.

There is no 'job' for any of us at VJ. If people choose to go this process without a lawyer, THEY are responsible for finding the information....Not 'omG! there's an answer here! We can't have it buried for those who are gormless!' You're not a lifeguard manning a beach...what you're doing is essentailly making there be a higher level of micro management for those who are too lazy or unwilling/unable to use a search button. Which I find completely ridiculous. Because the same answer is given countless times over if one chooses to actually LOOK.

Your original post offended me and many here who take value out of those threads.

becca...your first post here...'these threads need to be killed...they serve no purpose whatsoever' is what I'm referring to. Because YOU felt they were pointless, you have no problem coming and pizzing all over something that apparantly gives joy to many on here.

There is no 'job' for any of us at VJ. If people choose to go this process without a lawyer, THEY are responsible for finding the information....Not 'omG! there's an answer here! We can't have it buried for those who are gormless!' You're not a lifeguard manning a beach...what you're doing is essentailly making there be a higher level of micro management for those who are too lazy or unwilling/unable to use a search button. Which I find completely ridiculous. Because the same answer is given countless times over if one chooses to actually LOOK.

Your original post offended me and many here who take value out of those threads.

There was no offense meant. Simply calling it as I see it and putting it out there for discussion. If you were originally offended, reading the entirety of the discussion should clear things up for you.

I'd also like to add that making the site user-friendly is unlikely to be deemed 'micro-management'.

Edited by rebeccajo

Essentially, that's true - which is sort of what I said above, without making it personal. Although I'm not sure I'd describe what I felt as 'hurt'; panicked or worried is probably a better term.

So you and D finally filed, eh? I thought it was supposed to be in January? Oh well, January, July - guess it doesn't make much difference.

You shouldn't try to not 'make it personal' when it was actually a personal motivation. It wasn't an issue for you until it was an issue for you, if ya get what I'm sayin.

Yep, D and I finally filed! TY. Although your little snark about Jan-July not making much difference was uncalled for. Don't be disillusioned that you truly know me, Tracy...or know our situation enough to be so flippant about our time delay. It's petty & uncalled for. You and Chas had a delay too, didn't you? Would 7 mos apart be 'not much difference'? How would you like someone making those comments to you?