Sofitalian

Legal Name question on N-400 Form [merged threads]

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi VJ members,

I'm trying to start completing the N-400 Form online to see what info I need to gather. I came across some queries and hope to get advice from you.

Part 2. Information about You

Q1. What is your current legal name?

"Your current legal name is the name on your birth certificate, unless it changed after birth by a legal action such as marriage or court order. Do not provide any nicknames here."

In my case:

- During the IR1 visa application, the legal name I used was the legal name used in my birth country (let's say, DOE, Mary-Ann Jane)

- When my IR1 visa was approved, and because I'm also a Canadian by naturalization, the IO at US Consulate allowed me to choose which passport to use for my IR1 visa. I chose to use my Canadian passport. My name on my Canadian passport is, say, DOE, Jane).

- My name on my Green Card is "DOE, Jane"

Based on how I followed the questions asked in the online form, it looks like that I should 

- put "DOE, Mary-Ann Jane" as my current legal name

- put "DOE, Jane" when answering "What is your name exactly as it appears on your Permanent Resident Card?" and uncheck the box "The name on my Permanent Resident Card matches my current legal name."

- put "Canada" as the country of my citizenship or nationality

(A note for the question reads, "If you are a citizen or national of more than one country, provide the name of the foreign country that issued your last passport.")

Am I correct on the above?

And, when asked "Would you like to legally change your name?" Do I put "Yes" if I want to use the name appeared on my Green Card?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I think you have it exactly right.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

• 5 months later...
Timeline

Following up on my previous post - 

I should put "DOE, Mary-Ann Jane" as my current legal name and check "DOE, Jane" which is what appears on my Permanent Resident Card.

Actually, I had legal name change in Canada for "DOE, Jane". Should I submit it as "Evidence of name change" in N-400 application? I don't know if it's relevant or if I will create confusion if I submit? Should I NOT add this evidence but only bring to the interview in future?

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello all, I'm still stuck in one question on N-400 Form about legal name.

On my I-130 and DS-260, I had used my legal name in my birth country (e.g. Mary Janice DOE).

Then when my IR-1 visa was approved, the IO let me used my Canadian passport for the visa (supported by a letter written by me to request that). My name is say, Janice DOE, on my Canadian passport.

On my IR-1 visa, then subsequently on my Green Card, my name is appeared as Janice DOE.

Now on N-400:

- When I am asked about my current legal name, should it be Janice DOE (i.e. follow my Green Card, not my marriage cert)?

- Should I sign Janice DOE on the last page of the form as my legal name?

Anyone had similar situations before?

Your current legal name appears to be Janice DOE.

You should update all documents other than Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate (which cannot be changed) with this legal name.

No problem with your current name not matching Marriage Certificate. You're generally allowed to use new name after marrying somebody.

List your birth name and other names used in the relevant field of N-400.

P.S. This is not a legal advice. Others may correct me.

Edited by OldUser

• Chancy changed the title to Legal Name question on N-400 Form [merged threads]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.