russ

Russia Specific FAQ

113 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, it must state that they, the parent, attest to the fact that they are giving permission for their child(ren) to depart and understand it is a permanent emigration. Exception: the custodial parent has 100% custody and the court document to prove this, then they require no letter from the child's parent.

Dear Group,

One more question. If the beneficiary has a child, does (s)he need permission from the former spouse to take the child to the US? I haven't seen any such requirement from the USCIS, but when I take my daughters out of the country, the airline requires a notarized permission letter from their mother allowing me to take them outside the US.

In my particular case, the ex lives in the Ukraine, whereas my Masha and son live in Russia (Petersburg).

Thank you for the help and support.

Javier :bonk:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline
Dear Group,

One more question. If the beneficiary has a child, does (s)he need permission from the former spouse to take the child to the US? I haven't seen any such requirement from the USCIS, but when I take my daughters out of the country, the airline requires a notarized permission letter from their mother allowing me to take them outside the US.

In my particular case, the ex lives in the Ukraine, whereas my Masha and son live in Russia (Petersburg).

Yes, you need permission from the father/mother of the child.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Dear Group,

Yes, you need permission from the father/mother of the child.
Just wanted to add that if the ex-spouse has an ax to grind he or she can resort to extortion in order to sign that permission slip or simply be a deal breaker when it comes to the immigrating ex-spouse.

Thank you for the answers. So fast! :thumbs:

Yeah, usually it's more like, "uh... so fast?"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

I need help on a small item. Hopefully someone out there knows the answer.

My fiance'e must fill out the DS-156, "Electronic Visa Application Form". The first question asks for the passort number, place it was issued, expiration date, etc. It seems in Russia they have two internal passports issued to each citizen- a passport that allows them to travel between cities, and a passport that allows them to travel further distances within Russia. I know that my fiance'e will also need an international passport in order to come to the US.

So my question is this: Which passport information are they asking for on the DS-156?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Sept. 28, 2007---- Sent I-129F

Oct. 04, 2007----- Rec'd at CSC

Oct. 10, 2007----- NOA1 issued

as of Feb 21 2008---- No touches, not nothing :{

Feb 22, 2008------ Touched

Feb 24, 2008------ Touched

Feb 25, 2008------ Touched, request for add'l info

Mar 6, 2008------- Overnighted RFE info back to CSC

Mar 7, 2008------- CSC signed for RFE packet at 2:10 p.m.

Mar 25, 2008----- Touched, case processing resumed

Mar 26, 2008----- Touched, 8:30 am

Apr 3, 2008-------- Touched

Apr 4, 2008--------Touched

Apr 7, 2008--------Touched, 7:30 am

Apr 8, 2008--------NOA2, approval

Apr 12, 2008------NOA2 hardcopy received in the mail

Apr 16, 2008------NVC received case

Apr 18, 2008------NVC sent case to Moscow

Apr 29, 2008-----US Embassy in Moscow received case and set date for appointment

Jun 25, 2008-----Natalya travels to Moscow for medical and interview

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya's interview, 0800 hours

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya glides thru the interview.

Jul 13, 2008------Natalya flies to Oregon

-- "When A man seeks the prize of his heart, he does not think to count horses."

---- Chief Joseph, Nez Pierce

2453.gif

Timeline

The DOS would only be interested in her International Passport information. That is what they want. :yes:

I need help on a small item. Hopefully someone out there knows the answer.

My fiance'e must fill out the DS-156, "Electronic Visa Application Form". The first question asks for the passort number, place it was issued, expiration date, etc. It seems in Russia they have two internal passports issued to each citizen- a passport that allows them to travel between cities, and a passport that allows them to travel further distances within Russia. I know that my fiance'e will also need an international passport in order to come to the US.

So my question is this: Which passport information are they asking for on the DS-156?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline
The DOS would only be interested in her International Passport information. That is what they want.

Thanks for answering so quickly, Jeffery. So then I must ask: Natasha does not yet have an international passport. Must she get one before filing out the DS-156, or should she just write "None" in the spaces on the form?

Apr 29, 2008-----US Embassy in Moscow received case and set date for appointment

-- "When A man seeks the prize of his heart, he does not think to count horses."

2453.gif

Timeline

My Alla is currently waiting for her new bio-passport to arrive. I have been holding off filling out the DS-156 for her as I am sure they want to see this number on the form. I would fill the form out after she has her passport as "none" would seem she does not have a required document to obtain her visa. :unsure:

The DOS would only be interested in her International Passport information. That is what they want.

Thanks for answering so quickly, Jeffery. So then I must ask: Natasha does not yet have an international passport. Must she get one before filing out the DS-156, or should she just write "None" in the spaces on the form?

Edited by Kazan' Tiger

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
It seems in Russia they have two internal passports issued to each citizen- a passport that allows them to travel between cities, and a passport that allows them to travel further distances within Russia.
This is the first time I have ever heard of Russians having two "internal passports". As far as I am aware they only have one "internal passport" used for ID and registration purposes and if they choose can file for one "international passport" which allows for international travel.

Natasha does not yet have an international passport. Must she get one before filing out the DS-156, or should she just write "None" in the spaces on the form?
How soon is your visa interview? You want to have that international passport made before the interview. I am sure they check over the DS-156 and make any final corrections as needed at the interview. As far as I am aware your only deadline to comply with the embassy's checklist is the day of the interview. Ask to extend the interview if she will not have the passport until then.

I'm surprised they even let your cases out of USCIS, i.e. approved your I-129F without getting a copy of her international passport.

Edited by Satellite

It seems in Russia they have two internal passports issued to each citizen- a passport that allows them to travel between cities, and a passport that allows them to travel further distances within Russia.
This is the first time I have ever heard of Russians having two "internal passports". As far as I am aware they only have one "internal passport" used for ID and registration purposes and if they choose can file for one "international passport" which allows for international travel.

Natasha does not yet have an international passport. Must she get one before filing out the DS-156, or should she just write "None" in the spaces on the form?
How soon is your visa interview? You want to have that international passport made before the interview. I am sure they check over the DS-156 and make any final corrections as needed at the interview. As far as I am aware your only deadline to comply with the embassy's checklist is the day of the interview. Ask to extend the interview if she will not have the passport until then.

I'm surprised they even let your cases out of USCIS, i.e. approved your I-129F without getting a copy of her international passport.

There is no requirement for proving the identity of your spouse for the I-129F petition. My fiancee didnt have her international passport until about a month before the interview.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

According to my Masha, it takes three weeks to get a passport to go abroad and it costs some 3000 rubles. If faster, you have to add 2000 rubles. We are getting a passport for her son through a travel agency, so maybe it is cheaper if you do it directly with the official ministry... and enjoy Russian bureaucracy :wacko: . If I were you I would try to get that passport asap. She will need it anyway for the visa to be stamped and when entering the US.

I am no expert, but this is what I would do. Best luck to you. :star:

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello, group. I normally don't post here but I thought this would be interesting to some of you.

I sent an anonymous email to the US Embassy in Moscow. Here is the question I asked: "I was told that I could call the US Embassy in Moscow and see if there were any visa appointments that may have been canceled so that possibly my appointment could be moved up into that time slot. This information was told to me by a reliable friend. However, other people have told me that if I ask this question of you that it would actually delay my appointment even more.

I do not wish to impose any hardship on the personnel there. I just would like to know if my appointment could be moved up if there happens to be a cancellation.

Thank you for your attention to this question."

Now, I don't know if the embassy there is staffed by Russians or by Americans, but the answer I received back (if you can call it an answer) was of no help at all. Here is the reply I received:

"To consider this option, we need to know the applicant's full name, DOB, the case number and the reason of rescheduling

Sincerely,

Public Liaison Unit

Consular Section

US Embassy, Moscow"

Has any of you had any success in rescheduling? Or do you think it futile (and possibly destructive) for me to ask?

Tars

Edited by Tars

2453.gif

Timeline

Oh, by the way. It was a misunderstanding on my part about the types of passports that Russians have. It was translated to me and I think some of the meaning was lost in the translation. My Natasha has an international passport besides the one she uses internally to travel within Russia.

Does anyone know if she should get her police record now, or wait until we have the interview scheduled?

Tars

2453.gif

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your fiancee should request the police certificate immediately. Depending on where she lives (and has lived), it could possibly take a couple of months to get the police certificate (of course, it might also take a week or less). The police certificate is valid (for the U.S. Embassy's purpose) for one year from the date of issuance.

As far as requesting that the interview date be moved up, I can't possibly imagine that it would hurt anything to ask. The worst thing that could happen would be they would say no. While they have no problem rescheduling to a later date, you're going to have to give them a good reason in order to get your interview date rescheduled to an earlier date. It doesn't have to be life or death, but it must be something they would consider valid. As an example, when my ex-wife had her interview, we were able to get her date moved up a couple of weeks. The primary reason that we asked them to consider the earlier interview date was the start of school for her son. By moving her interview date just a couple of weeks earlier than it was initially scheduled, he could get here in time to enroll in school and start at the beginning of the semester with all of his classmates. In that case, the Consulate granted our request.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.