russ

Russia Specific FAQ

113 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
We did this as well. Made a couple thousand dollar difference.

This is for Russia-specific advice. Besides, if you can't get a SSN, you can get an ITIN for the purpose of filing taxes regardless of immigration status.

is it different for K3? do we have to wait for EAD before applying for SSN?

please let me know...............thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
is it different for K3? do we have to wait for EAD before applying for SSN?

please let me know...............thanks

The (better) advice is to apply for a SSN as soon as possible, since you need it anyway.

From the IRS: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service. It is a nine-digit number that always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, example 9XX-7X-XXXX.

IRS issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

ITINs are issued regardless of immigration status because both resident and nonresident aliens may have U.S. tax return and payment responsibilities under the Internal Revenue Code.

Individuals must have a filing requirement and file a valid federal income tax return to receive an ITIN, unless they meet an exception.

Who needs an ITIN?

IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for an SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.

Examples of individuals who need ITINs include:

• Non-resident alien filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
  • U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return and not eligible for an SSN
  • Dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
  • Dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Great Job Russ!

Maybe someone can clarify.

<<<<3. A copy of the last year’s tax return if you are an employee or the last three years returns if you are self employed.>>>

I thought I read self employed people are to submit 1 years tax return, where does it require

3 years tax returns?

Thankfully I have time to send these out if need be.

..... actually the way things are dragging, I have LOTS of time.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline
I thought I read self employed people are to submit 1 years tax return, where does it require

3 years tax returns?

I sent 2 years and it was fine. Worst case is that they end up asking for it, so you might as well send 3 years if you can. If not, I wouldn't worry.

Timeline

3 years tax returns?

I sent 2 years and it was fine. Worst case is that they end up asking for it, so you might as well send 3 years if you can. If not, I wouldn't worry.

================

I guess it is always better to send Too Much rather than too little, however, I already sent one years tax return for her to bring to Moscow.

Does anyone know where or if they demand more than one years return for self-employed?

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline
I guess it is always better to send Too Much rather than too little, however, I already sent one years tax return for her to bring to Moscow.

Does anyone know where or if they demand more than one years return for self-employed?

It is a case by case thing. I you made over $100K in that tax year, I doubt they will ask for more. If they do, it will be a 221g and it will set you back a few weeks. That would probably happen if you were just over the line.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

This is a very helpful post. :thumbs:

Edited by Jason-Sasha

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline

Where do you get the information that a new Letter of Intent to Marry addressed to the Moscow Embassy is required? Below is the text of the required interview documents copied directly from the Moscow Embassy website. I see no mention of this requirement.

http://www.usembassy.ru/consular/consular....cord_id=fiancee

List of Documents for Fiancé (e) Visa Interview

1. Biographical Form DS-230 filled out in English (part 1 and part 2). A separate form must be filled out for immigrating child over 16 years of age.
  2. Completed Electronic Visa Application Form DS-156. ( The Electronic Visa Application Form must be filled out online at http://evisaforms.state.gov. After filling out the form online, print a copy of the visa application form. The Electronic Visa Application Form is not available in the Russian language. Answers to the questions on the application must be in English and must use English characters. The applicants are welcome to use the Russian language translation to guide them through the online English Electronic Visa Application Form). A separate Electronic Visa Application Form DS-156 must be filled out for immigrating child.
  3. Supplement DS-156K form. The form must be filled out in Russian. DO NOT SIGN DS-156K. No DS-156K supplement is required for immigrating child.
  4. International Passport with a photocopy of the first page and the page with information about immigrating child if the child's name in included in the parent's passport.
  5. Original birth certificate, photocopy and translation into English.
  6. Police certificates in all names as well as all dates of birth ever used. Police certificate must contain references to each place (subject to the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation) in which the applicant lives or has lived for more than six months since attaining the age of 16. This includes localities where applicants have lived during university studies. If the applicant was on military service, he/she should bring the certificate from the local draft board. If an applicant has lived abroad for more than one year, a police certificate must also be submitted from the country in which he/she lived. Police certificate validity is one year since the date of issuance.
  7. Evidence of termination of prior marriage(s) (if applicable), original, photocopy and translation into English.
  8. One color non-glossy full-face photo 50x50 mm for visa. The eye level should be between 28mm and 35mm from the bottom. Another two pictures will be required for medical examination.
  9. Visa application fee of $100 for each applicant (Beginning January 1, 2008 the fee will change from 100USD to 131USD) for each applicant
  10. Documents confirming relationship: photos of Petitioner and Beneficiary together, letters to each other, phone bills, airplane tickets, emails, etc.
  11. Results of Medical Examination in a sealed envelope. The medical must be taken at one of the embassy-designated medical centers. It takes 2 days to complete the medical examination.
  12. Financial documents from the petitioner – a US citizen: please note, that Affidavit of Support (form I-134) is not required, but may be requested. The document must be notarized. Please submit financial documents to show that the applicant will not become a public charge in the United States. Such documents may include, but are not limited to:

- Most recent year tax returns (form 1040) or tax transcripts from IRS

- Copy of bank account

- Earnings and leave statement

- W-2 forms

- Letter from employer

If an applicant is required to provide additional documentation after the interview with an American consular officer has taken place, the documentation may be submitted to the 221G box at the Embassy North Gate between 2.00PM and 4.00PM on any working day or mailed to the Embassy.

RUS.GIFNatalia & BuckUS1.GIF

May 02, 2007 - Petition Mailed to Nebraska Service Center (and then transferred to California Service Center)

May 29, 2007 - NOA1: K1

Sep 19, 2007 - NOA2: K1

Nov 02, 2007 - NVC Received Petition from CSC

Dec 13, 2007 - NVC Processing Completed; Petition forwarded to Moscow Consulate

Mar 03, 2008 - Moscow Interview Date: VISA APPROVED

Mar 06, 2008 - VISA's received in Omsk

Mar 24, 2008 - USA Arrival; HALLELUJAH !!!!

May 31, 2008 - MARRIED

Jun 17, 2008 - AOS, EAD, AP Filed - Natalia & Artem (17 yr-old son)

Jun 23, 2008 - NOA1: AOS, EAD, AP - Natalia & Artem

July 15, 2008 - Biometrics: AOS, EAD - Natalia & Artem

DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED BY US ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE NOR DO THEY ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP.

Filed: Timeline
Where do you get the information that a new Letter of Intent to Marry addressed to the Moscow Embassy is required? Below is the text of the required interview documents copied directly from the Moscow Embassy website. I see no mention of this requirement.

Hmmm...interesting. It is in the VJ K-1 Visa guide, but I'm not seeing it anywhere else. Perhaps a post in The Foreign Embassy and Consulate General Discussion forum is warranted.

This is not a required document. It's merely you restating your intent to marry that person.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

A few days ago, I was perusing several different threads on this site looking for something in particular (my goal was specific in my search). I remember seeing a post about calling the US Embassy in Moscow to see if there were any cancellations and possibly getting the interview date scheduled sooner. At the time, I wasn't particularly looking for this information and didn't want to get sidetracked. Now, I'm interested and can not remember where I saw this post.

Anyone remember seeing it?

Thanks

Sept. 28, 2007---- Sent I-129F

Oct. 04, 2007----- Rec'd at CSC

Oct. 10, 2007----- NOA1 issued

as of Feb 21 2008---- No touches, not nothing :{

Feb 22, 2008------ Touched

Feb 24, 2008------ Touched

Feb 25, 2008------ Touched, request for add'l info

Mar 6, 2008------- Overnighted RFE info back to CSC

Mar 7, 2008------- CSC signed for RFE packet at 2:10 p.m.

Mar 25, 2008----- Touched, case processing resumed

Mar 26, 2008----- Touched, 8:30 am

Apr 3, 2008-------- Touched

Apr 4, 2008--------Touched

Apr 7, 2008--------Touched, 7:30 am

Apr 8, 2008--------NOA2, approval

Apr 12, 2008------NOA2 hardcopy received in the mail

Apr 16, 2008------NVC received case

Apr 18, 2008------NVC sent case to Moscow

Apr 29, 2008-----US Embassy in Moscow received case and set date for appointment

Jun 25, 2008-----Natalya travels to Moscow for medical and interview

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya's interview, 0800 hours

Jun 30, 2008-----Natalya glides thru the interview.

Jul 13, 2008------Natalya flies to Oregon

-- "When A man seeks the prize of his heart, he does not think to count horses."

---- Chief Joseph, Nez Pierce

2453.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My first post here. Apologies in advance for the many mistakes I am sure I will make. Is there a similar FAQ list for Saint Petersburg (SP)? Does the SP consulate interview for K1 visas? Anybody willing to share his/her experience? Does anyone recommend a medical establishment in SP for the exam? Is there somebody in SP that is familiar with the interview process, somebody similar to Ms Pomazan in Moscow? My girl lives very close to SP and we hope she does not need to go to Moscow for her interview. Spasiba valshoi. Really, thank you for all your help. And if anybody interested in my experience, please let me know and I will share the very few things I know.

Okay, here's my first attempt at making a FAQ for the Russia thread. Please PM me any corrections/comments/additions and I will edit it. This is mostly cut-and-pasted from questions

asked over the last year, with the most relevant answers.

Q. Does the police certificate need to be translated or notorized?

If the police report is in Russian, it does not need to be translated.

Q. Where can I stay (cheap) in Moscow?

A. There are no bargains.

-- From slim:

Russian Girl Friday

Contact Olesya Pomazan, the "Russian Girl Friday." She let my fiancee stay with her for about $35/night. She's a single mom with a flat in Moscow and is really familiar with the interview process.

Check out her website: http://www.russiangirlfriday.com

Moscow Rick speaks English, arrangements can be made by phone, and is reasonable.

http://www.moscowrick.com/

+7-495-741-7606 between 3 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET

Q. Can/will DHL hold the visa in Moscow?

A. Yes, you can specify to have it held at their office. This may save a few days if

you will be flying out as soon as you recieve it.

Q. How do I get an International Passport in Russia?

A. Go to ОВиР (OVIR) or the local government entity that does these. It can take up to 30 days. There are private travel companies that may be able to do it faster, though this should not cost more than 4 to 5,000 rubles. A Russian newspaper in a sufficiently large city will have classified ads from travel agencies providing such a service.

Q. How can I find a cheap flight to North America from Moscow?

A. Buy well in advance, and travel in the winter. Other tips: DL/Aeroflot Moscow to JFK is usually the cheapest route. If you are going elsewhere, try booking a one-way on JetBlue as the connection through NYC.

airtech.com has very cheap one-ways from Europe to North America (USD239). This will require you to find a cheap flight to a European hub though. (A one-way Moscow to Brussels is USD100). Taxes on European departures can be expensive, though.

If you live in a big city - sometimes it is cheaper to have a connection you don't use, if you know the flight will connect through your city. Example - instead of MOW->ATL, MOW->ATL->MCO may be cheaper then the non-stop. Buy the MOW->ATL->MCO ticket, but get off the plane in ATL and don't get on the flight to MCO. This works in any city that is a hub for the carrier. Try every possible connection through that hub and pick the cheapest :)

Q. What is the cheapest way to call Russia?

A. To Moscow / St Petersburg land lines, 1 cent/minute is the best deal you will find. Mobile phones are about 6.5 cents/minute at the cheapest. 5-10cents/minute for the rest of Russia. Getting SIP handset and pointing it at the cheapest provider is your best bet, other than calling cards (which are a pain).

VOIP companies will be the cheapest, though this will take some knowledge on your part to set up. Probably worth the investment for call quality and price over the long term.

Q. Where to do the medical in Moscow?

A. IOM seems to be the most popular here.

The clinics approved for K-1 visa applications from Russia are

International Organization for Migration, telephone (7-095) 797-8723,

AO Meditsina, telephone (7-095) 250-9186 or 250-8899.

Children's Hospital no. 1, Vladivostok. Tel. (4232) 40-13-35 or (4232) 45-24-26.

IOM has results the same day and is $ 90.00. AOM has results the following morning and is $ 100.00. The reports are that people are treated much better at AOM

The clinic approved for K-1 visa applications from Ukraine are:

Clinic for Oil-Refining Industry of Ukraine

9, Spusk Protassov Yar

Kyiv, Ukraine

Telephone: 044-244-8941, 044-277-4181

Per-person fee for a medical exam is no more then $75 for adults and children. The Clinic performs medical examinations any

Working day (Monday through Friday), between 8.00am and 12.00pm.

TIP, Have her ask for a copy of her vaccination records. It will save you time and money in the USA later.

Q. How do I address a letter to Russia?

A. In cyrillic, Name last, in the dative case. Example:

Россия

г. Москва 117932

ул. Пушкина дом 30 кв 121

Ельцине, Наине Иосифовне

To send a letter to Наина Иосифовна Ельцина (Mrs Yeltsin) (the address is made up).

It is common in Russian to use last name followed by initials. For names ending in

"a", the ending is "e." If the name ends in "ия" the ending is "ии" Names ending

in "K" or "O" do not generally decline.

Mens names also decline, but I think anyone writing to a man here already speaks Russian.

Write RUSSIA in english somewhere on the envelope. Generally delivered in 10 days.

Q. How do I know when the interview will be?

A. For Moscow the online K-1 Visa Schedule is at http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhci10.html

Q. When will packet 4 arrive?

A. Moscow only sends one packet, combining packets 3 & 4. Nothing further is required

on your part to schedule the interview.

Q. What paperwork is necessary at the interview?

A. :

1. A valid International Passport with a photocopy of the first page. They will keep this and return it with the visa fixed inside.

2. An original birth certificate with along with a photocopy and an English translation.

3. A police report in all names as well as all dates of birth ever used. Police certificate must contain references to each place in which the applicant lives or has lived for more than six months since attaining the age of 16.

4. Evidence of termination of prior marriage (if applicable), original, photocopy and translation into English.

5. Accompanying child requires a valid passport (or may be included in the parent's passport), a birth certificate and a medical examination. If a child is 16 years of age or over, police certificates are required. Translations of the indicated documents are required as well.

6. (3) black-and-white or color photos taken against a white or off - white background (5 x 5 cm) for visa which are basically passport style photos.

7. (3) photos of passport size for medical exam.

8. Visa application fee of $100 (or the ruble equivalent) per person, payable at the Embassy on the day of interview. Must be in cash.

9. A new letter of intent to marry from both addressed to the Embassy.

10. Documents confirming relationship: photos of Petitioner and Beneficiary together, letters to each other, phone bills, airplane tickets, emails, etc.

11. Results of Medical Examination in a sealed envelope. (clinic info following)

12. A prepaid DHL mailer. (There is a DHL office on the lower level of the building to the right of the north entrance of the US Embassy in Moscow. Ukraine applicants need a FedEx mailer and it can be purchased at the Embassy at the time of the interview.

There is information that she will need from you at the time of the interview. They include:

1. A letter from your employer stating position, salary, likelihood of your continued employment.

2. A letter from your bank stating your balance, your average balance, how long you have had your account (or the last 12 months bank statements)

3. A copy of the last year’s tax return if you are an employee or the last three years returns if you are self employed.

4. W-2’s for the last year.

5. Three consecutive recent pay stubs.

6. I-134 Affidavit of Support, signed and notarized.

7. A new letter of intent to marry addressed to the Moscow embassy.

Q. Am I being scammed?

A. Yes.

My first post here. Apologies in advance for the many mistakes I am sure I will make. Is there a similar FAQ list for Saint Petersburg (SP)? Does the SP consulate interview for K1 visas? Anybody willing to share his/her experience? Does anyone recommend a medical establishment in SP for the exam? Is there somebody in SP that is familiar with the interview process, somebody similar to Ms Pomazan in Moscow? My girl lives very close to SP and we hope she does not need to go to Moscow for her interview. Spasiba valshoi. Really, thank you for all your help. And if anybody interested in my experience, please let me know and I will share the very few things I know.

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but all K-1s go through Moscow. No biggy though, we've all done it so feel free to jump right in on all these topics.

Hope to hear more of your story and help out if we can.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Yes, welcome to our nutty Russian group! :lol:

Oh. BTW, Just to help you out, it's spasibo bol'shoye in transliterated latin characters.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline
And if anybody interested in my experience, please let me know and I will share the very few things I know.

Welcome!

Love to hear about your experience! Please feel free to start a new thread, or you can just jump into the "photos" thread since it has absolutely nothing to do with photos anymore anyway. :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.