russ

Russia Specific FAQ

113 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Okay, here's my first attempt at making a FAQ for the Russia thread. Please PM me any corrections/comments/additions and I will edit it. This is mostly cut-and-pasted from questions

asked over the last year, with the most relevant answers.

Q. Does the police certificate need to be translated or notorized?

If the police report is in Russian, it does not need to be translated.

Q. Where can I stay (cheap) in Moscow?

A. There are no bargains.

-- From slim:

Russian Girl Friday

Contact Olesya Pomazan, the "Russian Girl Friday." She let my fiancee stay with her for about $35/night. She's a single mom with a flat in Moscow and is really familiar with the interview process.

Check out her website: http://www.russiangirlfriday.com

Moscow Rick speaks English, arrangements can be made by phone, and is reasonable.

http://www.moscowrick.com/

+7-495-741-7606 between 3 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET

Q. Can/will DHL hold the visa in Moscow?

A. Yes, you can specify to have it held at their office. This may save a few days if

you will be flying out as soon as you recieve it.

Q. How do I get an International Passport in Russia?

A. Go to ОВиР (OVIR) or the local government entity that does these. It can take up to 30 days. There are private travel companies that may be able to do it faster, though this should not cost more than 4 to 5,000 rubles. A Russian newspaper in a sufficiently large city will have classified ads from travel agencies providing such a service.

Q. How can I find a cheap flight to North America from Moscow?

A. Buy well in advance, and travel in the winter. Other tips: DL/Aeroflot Moscow to JFK is usually the cheapest route. If you are going elsewhere, try booking a one-way on JetBlue as the connection through NYC.

airtech.com has very cheap one-ways from Europe to North America (USD239). This will require you to find a cheap flight to a European hub though. (A one-way Moscow to Brussels is USD100). Taxes on European departures can be expensive, though.

If you live in a big city - sometimes it is cheaper to have a connection you don't use, if you know the flight will connect through your city. Example - instead of MOW->ATL, MOW->ATL->MCO may be cheaper then the non-stop. Buy the MOW->ATL->MCO ticket, but get off the plane in ATL and don't get on the flight to MCO. This works in any city that is a hub for the carrier. Try every possible connection through that hub and pick the cheapest :)

Q. What is the cheapest way to call Russia?

A. To Moscow / St Petersburg land lines, 1 cent/minute is the best deal you will find. Mobile phones are about 6.5 cents/minute at the cheapest. 5-10cents/minute for the rest of Russia. Getting SIP handset and pointing it at the cheapest provider is your best bet, other than calling cards (which are a pain).

VOIP companies will be the cheapest, though this will take some knowledge on your part to set up. Probably worth the investment for call quality and price over the long term.

Q. Where to do the medical in Moscow?

A. IOM seems to be the most popular here.

The clinics approved for K-1 visa applications from Russia are

International Organization for Migration, telephone (7-095) 797-8723,

AO Meditsina, telephone (7-095) 250-9186 or 250-8899.

Children's Hospital no. 1, Vladivostok. Tel. (4232) 40-13-35 or (4232) 45-24-26.

IOM has results the same day and is $ 90.00. AOM has results the following morning and is $ 100.00. The reports are that people are treated much better at AOM

The clinic approved for K-1 visa applications from Ukraine are:

Clinic for Oil-Refining Industry of Ukraine

9, Spusk Protassov Yar

Kyiv, Ukraine

Telephone: 044-244-8941, 044-277-4181

Per-person fee for a medical exam is no more then $75 for adults and children. The Clinic performs medical examinations any

Working day (Monday through Friday), between 8.00am and 12.00pm.

TIP, Have her ask for a copy of her vaccination records. It will save you time and money in the USA later.

Q. How do I address a letter to Russia?

A. In cyrillic, Name last, in the dative case. Example:

Россия

г. Москва 117932

ул. Пушкина дом 30 кв 121

Ельцине, Наине Иосифовне

To send a letter to Наина Иосифовна Ельцина (Mrs Yeltsin) (the address is made up).

It is common in Russian to use last name followed by initials. For names ending in

"a", the ending is "e." If the name ends in "ия" the ending is "ии" Names ending

in "K" or "O" do not generally decline.

Mens names also decline, but I think anyone writing to a man here already speaks Russian.

Write RUSSIA in english somewhere on the envelope. Generally delivered in 10 days.

Q. How do I know when the interview will be?

A. For Moscow the online K-1 Visa Schedule is at http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/wwwhci10.html

Q. When will packet 4 arrive?

A. Moscow only sends one packet, combining packets 3 & 4. Nothing further is required

on your part to schedule the interview.

Q. What paperwork is necessary at the interview?

A. :

1. A valid International Passport with a photocopy of the first page. They will keep this and return it with the visa fixed inside.

2. An original birth certificate with along with a photocopy and an English translation.

3. A police report in all names as well as all dates of birth ever used. Police certificate must contain references to each place in which the applicant lives or has lived for more than six months since attaining the age of 16.

4. Evidence of termination of prior marriage (if applicable), original, photocopy and translation into English.

5. Accompanying child requires a valid passport (or may be included in the parent's passport), a birth certificate and a medical examination. If a child is 16 years of age or over, police certificates are required. Translations of the indicated documents are required as well.

6. (3) black-and-white or color photos taken against a white or off - white background (5 x 5 cm) for visa which are basically passport style photos.

7. (3) photos of passport size for medical exam.

8. Visa application fee of $100 (or the ruble equivalent) per person, payable at the Embassy on the day of interview. Must be in cash.

9. A new letter of intent to marry from both addressed to the Embassy.

10. Documents confirming relationship: photos of Petitioner and Beneficiary together, letters to each other, phone bills, airplane tickets, emails, etc.

11. Results of Medical Examination in a sealed envelope. (clinic info following)

12. A prepaid DHL mailer. (There is a DHL office on the lower level of the building to the right of the north entrance of the US Embassy in Moscow. Ukraine applicants need a FedEx mailer and it can be purchased at the Embassy at the time of the interview.

There is information that she will need from you at the time of the interview. They include:

1. A letter from your employer stating position, salary, likelihood of your continued employment.

2. A letter from your bank stating your balance, your average balance, how long you have had your account (or the last 12 months bank statements)

3. A copy of the last year’s tax return if you are an employee or the last three years returns if you are self employed.

4. W-2’s for the last year.

5. Three consecutive recent pay stubs.

6. I-134 Affidavit of Support, signed and notarized.

7. A new letter of intent to marry addressed to the Moscow embassy.

Q. Am I being scammed?

A. Yes.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Terrific job Awsome.

I thnk expanding the part about DHL service might be good. Addresses for both with a notation the one office is downstairs in the building next to the embassy but the other is where you need to have the visa held.

Maybe something about jfk and the temproary AOS.

I think I had one more but my fiancee came out of the shower and started kissing me and turned my brain to mush. Maybe as I think more about it. Still great job.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
Terrific job Awsome.

I thnk expanding the part about DHL service might be good. Addresses for both with a notation the one office is downstairs in the building next to the embassy but the other is where you need to have the visa held.

I'll put some more detail in the DHL section, there always seem to be questions about that.

I can't seem to figure out how to edit the post though (I can only edit replies). Is there something I am missing?

Who should I PM about making this sticky? Ewok?

Great job, Russ! Ewok should be able to hook it up.

I'm sure this will also become the frequently asked again questions section!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Here's my map info etc. for the pinned post...

Important Locations In Moscow

Includes:

1. Detailed maps of Moscow
  2. Google Earth KMZ for Moscow
  3. Link for Medical Info
  4. DHL Locations
  5. Airport Maps
  6. Moscow Metro Maps

Enjoy!

David

725268776.png

Timeline

Great page!

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
Great page!

thanks for the info i wish i had found it earlier!

I have a question do i need new letter of intent?the thing is he mailed me all documents and ill have them 2 days before interview.Interview is on 17th so its late he sends me by dhl again.or is it ok if i just shoe email?

Timeline
I have a question do i need new letter of intent?the thing is he mailed me all documents and ill have them 2 days before interview.Interview is on 17th so its late he sends me by dhl again.or is it ok if i just shoe email?

I emailed the letter of intent and it was fine.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I emailed the letter of intent and it was fine.

did you email your fiancee or to the embassy?

Timeline

Here is an updated link for the k-1 appointment schedule: http://moscow.usembassy.gov/consular/iv_dates.php

Участник Русского Форума

03/2003: Met Online

12/2003: I went to Moscow as an exchange student, we met in person.

20/09/2006: Sergey proposes to me!

21/02/2007: I-129F Package mailed from Wroclaw, Poland to California Service Center

28/02/2007: NOA1 issued

22/5/2007:Approved!!!!!!!!!

04/06/2007:NVC received case

11/06/2007:Left NVC for Moscow

23/08/2007: INTERVIEW, APPROVED :)

Timeline
did you email your fiancee or to the embassy?

My fiance. The letter is a formality (unless it states that you don't intend on getting married)

Letter of intent (updated) isn't actually a "requirement" for them to see. It's just another piece of evidence that says to the C/O "See, we really do love each other and we're getting married. NOW GIVE ME MY D@MN VISA!!!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Very well done Russ.

You may want to add that it is a good idea to apply for a SSN as soon as your significant other arrives, it may state that they cant work or whatever, but it makes things easier like bank accounts, drivers license, setting up insurance, if you are like me and you fiance arrives before the end of the year and you marry before the year is done, then you can file taxes as married people filing jointly and you get extra money from the government(see the investment can pay off early :jest: )

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

fiance arrives before the end of the year and you marry before the year is done, then you can file taxes as married people filing jointly and you get extra money from the government(see the investment can pay off early :jest: )

We did this as well. Made a couple thousand dollar difference.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
We did this as well. Made a couple thousand dollar difference.

This is for Russia-specific advice. Besides, if you can't get a SSN, you can get an ITIN for the purpose of filing taxes regardless of immigration status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.