ljatw1

Problem with Identification for medical for I-485

6 posts in this topic

Hi, 

My UK Passport is going to expire next month and the only other ID I have is a UK driving license with my maiden name on. I'm aware I'll get an RFE for medical in the next few months, (I-485 submitted in January) where I'll need to take ID with me. 

I have arranged to renew my UK passport and paid the fees and the next step is to send the passport office in England my passport so they can send me a new one with my married name on. 

So my question is, by the time I have the medical, my UK passport will no longer be valid so I won't be able to use that and may not have a new passport in my possession at the time for the medical and my UK driving license will have my maiden name on so do I take my UK driving license with me, along with a certified copy of marriage license for ID as that will have both maiden and married name on? 

I'm in Illinois and I can't get a state driving license here without an SSN. So I currently have no ID in my married name. 

You could have submitted medical with initial packet and not wait for RFE...

Did you do biometrics already?

19 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

ur marriage certificate is legal document to prove ur name change. bring ur passport and driving license too. it shouldnt be a problem. the civil surgeon just want to make sure that u are who u are.

The problem is, OP has to send the old passport back now. Based on the news from the UK, it will take a while to get the new passport.

@ljatw1 have you explored getting an emergency passport? Are you eligible for one? Maybe it could serve as temporary proof of ID. For medical, UK driver's license should be OK. But for biometrics appointment - do not remember, but they ask about nationality.

Edited by OldUser

1 minute ago, OldUser said:

You could have submitted medical with initial packet and not wait for RFE...

Did you do biometrics already?

The problem is, OP has to send the old passport back now. Based on the news from the UK, it will take a while to get the new passport.

i will bring the copy of old passport bio if OP have any along with the UK driving license. at least it's UK driving license and its in english. worth to try. 

Self delete for posting without reading thoroughly first :bonk:

Edited by Elf
Self delete

Eighteen years in the US and I still don't understand Velveeta, TV ads for prescription drugs, only getting 2 weeks paid vacation, or why anyone believes anything they see on Fox "News".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.