Afghanguy

Marriage deduction? (Merged 2x)

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, Afghanguy said:

hi jeanine

i am in morocco now. regarding the W7 form, we have it in front of us...i suppose my wife has to sign it and put her name etc on this form? or do i put my name , address but she only signs it?

can you kindly tell me what documents should i send with this? i know u told me before but i got confused from few other people who replied.

marriage certiicate i have one in english and one in arabic...i have her national ID, her passport is also here...let me know what documents to send with this form

i am in morocco now. regarding the W7 form, we have it in front of us...i suppose my wife has to sign it and put her name etc on this form? or do i put my name , address but she only signs it?  

her name and address /do u have her Power of attorney so u can include a copy and sign it for u

can you kindly tell me what documents should i send with this? i know u told me before but i got confused from few other people who replied.

marriage certiicate i have one in english and one in arabic...i have her national ID, her passport is also here...let me know what documents to send with this form   those are what u need   the national ID has photo ID

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You need to read the instructions here.  Normally, the form is sent along with tax forms:

Instructions for Form W-7 (Rev. November 2021) (irs.gov)

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

The Moroccan is applying for a ITIN

so,  its the Moroccan's name and address 

and signed by them

BTW  get a POA done by her/him while u r in Mococ  it will help u in future to do business in his/her name before the US arrival

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Related threads merged. Please do not start more than one thread for the same or related topics~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
On 4/12/2023 at 2:17 PM, Afghanguy said:

adil i just called another place HR block and she told me same thing...we need a SS or ITIN #.. if i do a ITIN request it takes 8 weeks ....she also said if i file MFS i will be on a higher tax bracket!

yes ,  MFS is higher bracket as you loose $12, 950 for not adding spouse

do the MFJ get the $25,900 deduction as u are filing late and at this point it will take a long time for your returns to be done no matter what u file

do the W7,  get the ITIN ./i had it the 5 years we waited for the visa 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 10:38 AM, JeanneAdil said:

hi jeanine,

i am ready to mail out the W7..i was in morocco one month and had her sign it...just to make sure i dont miss anything..

i am including MY 2022 taxes, her NATIONAL ID, her main page of her passport, marriage certificate in ENGLISH...am i missing anything? thank you

On 4/13/2023 at 8:01 AM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

For W7, your wife will need to send in her passport or an official copy from the issuing agency - a copy from the gov department that issues passport.

You waited until 3 business days before taxes are due to ask about this.  I do not see how you can file your taxes in time.  

The easiest method is to paper file your tax as MFS - put in your wife's name and enter "NRA" in her SSN field.

Later, when your wife gets her ITIN or SSN, you can amend your 2022 taxes.

hi steve,

i am getting ready to send the W7 for my wife...i had her sign it...

just to make sure i dont miss anything..

i am including MY 2022 taxes, her NATIONAL ID, her main page of her passport, marriage certificate in ENGLISH...am i missing anything? thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

In order to file MFJ, if your spouse is abroad, you need to attach a statement, signed by you and your wife, that you are making an election under IRC § 6013(g) to treat your nonresident alien spouse as a resident alien for the purposes of your tax return. A marriage certificate is not needed or sufficient for the W-7 ITIN application. 

2 minutes ago, TVQT1993 said:

In order to file MFJ, if your spouse is abroad, you need to attach a statement, signed by you and your wife, that you are making an election under IRC § 6013(g) to treat your nonresident alien spouse as a resident alien for the purposes of your tax return. A marriage certificate is not needed or sufficient for the W-7 ITIN application. 

ALREADY filed MFS not MFJ! I was in morocco and had her sign the W7. What do I send with the W7????

Timeline
On 5/30/2023 at 10:18 AM, Afghanguy said:

hi jeanine,

i am ready to mail out the W7..i was in morocco one month and had her sign it...just to make sure i dont miss anything..

did u get a certified English translation of the main page of her ID  and passport?

On 6/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, JeanneAdil said:

did u get a certified English translation of the main page of her ID  and passport?

i am looking at her passport and id its already in french and english translation no need for translation..its already showing english on it...

can you please recap what i send with the application..

1. my 2022 taxes?

2. her passport and national ID photo

3. marriage certificate?

thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 5/31/2023 at 1:27 PM, Afghanguy said:

ALREADY filed MFS not MFJ! I was in morocco and had her sign the W7. What do I send with the W7????

Well then you're filing an amended return (Form 1040X) with the W-7 to change MFS to MFJ. The rest has been answered already. Plus it's in the W-7 instructions.

• 3 months later...

Hello to all.

I am a US citizen married last year. My CR1 is in process currently at TSC. I filed my taxes last year and was hoping to get the marriage deduction but lady at HR block filed me as a married filing separate and said cant get deduction unless she is here in US or has an ITIN #. So here I am trying to apply for one now for this year possibly I can amend last years maybe?

My question is on the W7 - do I put all her information on that form or mine? eg name., address etc? What documents should I mail in with the application? I have done my research on IRS website but am confused thus posting here so hope you guys dont tell me go check IRS website :)

What documents do I need to send for her ? I have her passport page and national ID...Do I send my last year taxes as well?

Thank you and hope someone who has went thru this can answer

• powerpuff changed the title to Marriage deduction? (Merged 2x)

Another thread on the topic has been merged with an existing thread. @Afghanguy continuing to create multiple threads on either same or similar topics is spamming and is a terms of service violation. Further violations will result in a suspension.  Keep all follow up questions on taxes and W7/ITIN in THIS thread only.

VJ Moderation 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.