Gayanehov

B2 visa documents

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I will have my interview for a B2 visa at the Belgian US Embassy soon and want to understand which documents make sense to present and what my chances are.

I am a 21-year-old female, an Armenian citizen in my last year of a bachelor program in the Netherlands (I have a Dutch residence permit expiring at the end of 2023). I am finishing my studies in July, but my graduation ceremony is in September/October of 2023. My family is in Armenia, but I have a cousin and other distant relatives in the US.

I have been in a long-distance relationship with an Armenian-American since 2018. He became a citizen in 2022 and visited me in Europe immediately in the spring of 2022, and then visited me again in the Netherlands in October of 2022. I want to visit him this time in the US in August/September to meet his family and go sightseeing.

I am a full-time student and I am finishing my full-time internship at the end of February, and I have applied for a research assistant position at my university which is remote and will last for 5-6 months starting in March. I have not yet decided what I want to do after graduating, I may or may not apply for a master's or may decide to stay in the Netherlands to do another internship/work.

I have traveled to many countries including multiple European countries on a Schengen visa and Israel (I figured this might be good to show since it is quite difficult to get into Israel).

What documents do I need to present? The list in the email confirmation mentions these:

The purpose of your trip - Should this be an invitation from my boyfriend or something else?

Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or - should this be a plane ticket back to the Netherlands/Armenia and can I use my graduation ceremony as a reason?

Your ability to pay all the costs of your trip - I have around $1300 in my bank account which will cover my flight tickets

Evidence of your employment and/or family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country - I am not sure what to include here, so any help would be appreciated

If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all of the costs for your trip - my boyfriend will be sponsoring me throughout my stay, so I assume it should be a bank statement of his account alongside mine

How can I show that I do not intend to marry in the US on a tourist visa and will return, and have strong ties with Netherlands/Armenia as a student (potentially with a part-time remote job)? And finally, do I need to present evidence of our relationship in the form of pictures?

Thank you in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Gayanehov said:

The purpose of your trip - Should this be an invitation from my boyfriend or something else?

10 minutes ago, Gayanehov said:

Hi everyone! I will have my interview for a B2 visa at the Belgian US Embassy soon and want to understand which documents make sense to present and what my chances are.

I am a 21-year-old female, an Armenian citizen in my last year of a bachelor program in the Netherlands (I have a Dutch residence permit expiring at the end of 2023). I am finishing my studies in July, but my graduation ceremony is in September/October of 2023. My family is in Armenia, but I have a cousin and other distant relatives in the US.

I have been in a long-distance relationship with an Armenian-American since 2018. He became a citizen in 2022 and visited me in Europe immediately in the spring of 2022, and then visited me again in the Netherlands in October of 2022. I want to visit him this time in the US in August/September to meet his family and go sightseeing.

I am a full-time student and I am finishing my full-time internship at the end of February, and I have applied for a research assistant position at my university which is remote and will last for 5-6 months starting in March. I have not yet decided what I want to do after graduating, I may or may not apply for a master's or may decide to stay in the Netherlands to do another internship/work.

I have traveled to many countries including multiple European countries on a Schengen visa and Israel (I figured this might be good to show since it is quite difficult to get into Israel).

What documents do I need to present? The list in the email confirmation mentions these:

Your intent to depart the United States after your trip; and/or - should this be a plane ticket back to the Netherlands/Armenia and can I use my graduation ceremony as a reason?

Your ability to pay all the costs of your trip - I have around $1300 in my bank account which will cover my flight tickets

Evidence of your employment and/or family ties may be sufficient to show the purpose of your trip and your intent to return to your home country - I am not sure what to include here, so any help would be appreciated

If you cannot cover all the costs for your trip, you may show evidence that another person will cover some or all of the costs for your trip - my boyfriend will be sponsoring me throughout my stay, so I assume it should be a bank statement of his account alongside mine

How can I show that I do not intend to marry in the US on a tourist visa and will return, and have strong ties with Netherlands/Armenia as a student (potentially with a part-time remote job)? And finally, do I need to present evidence of our relationship in the form of pictures?

Thank you in advance!

I wouldn’t even mention your boyfriend anywhere on the application and definitely do not do an invitation letter or have him as your sponsor for this trip.

Most likely they won’t look at any documents that you will take to the embassy.

You have to convince them that you are going back home after your trip and having a bf in USA and you being this young hurts your chances greatly.

good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Gayanehov said:

If your visit is not for something like going to a conference or seminar, I would not do anything here.  An invitation letter will not help.

This is kind of a catch-all.  You need to show why you need to leave the US at the end of your stay, so any work or school commitments, etc.  I would not recommend buying any airline tickets until you have a visa in hand.  I would focus on the school and internship and not the ceremony.

This could be an issue if you don't have the money to pay for your stay.

You mentioned your school and internship, so anything that shows you need to return to complete those.

It is not illegal to enter the US on a tourist visa, get married and return for spousal visa processing later.  What is not allowed is coming to the US with the intent to stay on a B2 tourist visa.  Again, this goes with having documents that tie you to commitments back in the Netherlands.

Thank you in advance!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

If your visit is not for something like going to a conference or seminar, I would not do anything here.  An invitation letter will not help.

This is kind of a catch-all.  You need to show why you need to leave the US at the end of your stay, so any work or school commitments, etc.  I would not recommend buying any airline tickets until you have a visa in hand.  I would focus on the school and internship and not the ceremony.

This could be an issue if you don't have the money to pay for your stay.

You mentioned your school and internship, so anything that shows you need to return to complete those.

It is not illegal to enter the US on a tourist visa, get married and return for spousal visa processing later.  What is not allowed is coming to the US with the intent to stay on a B2 tourist visa.  Again, this goes with having documents that tie you to commitments back in the Netherlands.

Thank you for the prompt response. The only thing worrying me is that I am finishing my studies before my intended trip and I haven't applied to masters/internship/job for after my trip and realistically do not have evidence of commitments to come back to. Could I tell them that I am in the process of applying for an internship/job/master's in the Netherlands for fall 2023?

23 minutes ago, MMDG said:

I wouldn’t even mention your boyfriend anywhere on the application and definitely do not do an invitation letter or have him as your sponsor for this trip.

Most likely they won’t look at any documents that you will take to the embassy.

You have to convince them that you are going back home after your trip and having a bf in USA and you being this young hurts your chances greatly.

good luck.

Thanks for your answer. He is already mentioned on my application as a sponsor and I think lying wouldn't make sense since seeing him and meeting his parents is the main reason for my trip.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, Gayanehov said:

Thank you for the prompt response. The only thing worrying me is that I am finishing my studies before my intended trip and I haven't applied to masters/internship/job for after my trip and realistically do not have evidence of commitments to come back to. Could I tell them that I am in the process of applying for an internship/job/master's in the Netherlands for fall 2023?

Certainly would be a good idea to get this sorted out otherwise it will look like a one way trip.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
29 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

I am a 21-year-old female, an Armenian citizen

USC doesn't need a tourist visa to come home

She is Armenian, not American.

Filed: Country: Sierra Leone
Timeline
3 hours ago, Gayanehov said:

Thank you in advance!

Do you have a lease? It’s not very strong evidence but it’s something but really you need something stronger. What is your plan when you come back? Having an internship, job, another educational program is your best bet. However I think your travel history helps. I know you said you don’t know what you want to do but if you want to be strongly considered for this visa you need to figure it out. 

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-15

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-16

NVC Received : 2009-09-22

Consulate Received : 2009-09-28

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-14

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Interview Result :

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

thank u 

guess i need glasses 

Pass me your glasses when you done, I need them also.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Based on all you’ve written your chances of getting the visa are around 40%. I know the number is meaningless 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Statistics/Non-Immigrant-Statistics/RefusalRates/FY21.pdf

Armenians have a very crude refusal rate of 37%. You have less ties to your home and more ties to the USA than the average Armenian so I’d say your chances of refusal are higher probably 50%. Mentioning your boyfriend as sponsor, not having a job or enrolled in school at the proposed time of visit are all negatives.

Basically if I were the consular officer, I likely wouldn’t approve your visa. It’s only $160, give it a shot!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.