Eduh

Nairobi, Kenya DQ to interview wait time

255 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

How do you know there have been no interviews?

That's what everyone here has been saying for a long time. I'm speaking of Nairobi.. don't know about nothing about Taiwan as I see Taiwan attached to your name. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

The Consulate at Nairobi is working

Visas Issued Nairobi

Dec 2022
CR1- 2
IR-1- 26
IR-2- 17
IR-5- 16

What are the DQ dates..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Truserenity11 said:

What are the DQ dates..

I know of no way to find that data.  However, you can find issued visa numbers by post here:

Monthly Immigrant Visa Issuance Statistics (state.gov)

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Truserenity11 said:

That's what everyone here has been saying for a long time. I'm speaking of Nairobi.. don't know about nothing about Taiwan as I see Taiwan attached to your name. 

I am talking about Nairobi.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-2 Country: Kenya
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Visas Issued Nairobi

Dec 2022
CR1- 2
IR-1- 26
IR-2- 17
IR-5- 16

There's a 40 thousand plus backlog of cases in nairobi. You think those numbers you posted are even scratching the surface? Nairobi embassy is not working my friend. Once you see numbers upwards of 300 per case type then that's working. Barely. 500+ per month minimum per month requirement 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

LOL!!!!  Your anger is misplaced.  Obviously, someone does NOT know how to find those numbers,  I assure you that I am FAR from clueless.  

What about a lil..CRAZY Cat? Thanks for the info! Have a great day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Several bickering posts have been removed.  Please disagree without being disagreeable, and avoid sharp replies to members who are trying to help.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

Visas Issued Nairobi

Dec 2022
CR1- 2
IR-1- 26
IR-2- 17
IR-5- 16

Ok, I must apologize to you. I let my frustrations get the best of me. 

Still those numbers are way to low for a consulate that takes care of it's host country (Kenya) plus other neighboring countries.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, Eduh said:

Ok, I must apologize to you. I let my frustrations get the best of me. 

Still those numbers are way to low for a consulate that takes care of it's host country (Kenya) plus other neighboring countries.  

How does an embassy issue out ONLY 2 CR1( spouse) in a whole month. You have hundreds DQd per month but issue only 2? Please make it make sense. Then you wonder why I'm frustrated 😠?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Eduh said:

How does an embassy issue out ONLY 2 CR1( spouse) in a whole month. You have hundreds DQd per month but issue only 2? Please make it make sense. Then you wonder why I'm frustrated 😠?

I am exactly right where you are. I am not with my spouse so I'm just as frustrated and empathize with the rest of us who are NOT together with our families. We deserve to know what is going on in Nairobi and covid should no longer be an excuse. 2 spousal visas  . Ridiculous. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

They processed 2 CR1s and 26 IR1s - so technically 28 spousal visas (I'm guessing with the size of the backlog the 2 CR1s they processed probably had reasons to expedite their cases and that's why they still qualify as the married for under 2-years CR1 category, while the rest of us have automatically converted to IR1 cases since it's been over 2 years since we started the process now lol). But considering the size of this backlog, it's still frustrating to see. Back in September when they were prioritizing diversity visas - they processed 1,034 DVs (and only 1 IR1, 0 CR1). So clearly they have the ability to prioritize a visa class and process high quantities. It'd be nice to see them do this for the family-based visa categories so they can at least make a dent in the backlog... the COVID closures were so long ago they can't keep blaming that for the fact that interview wait times are over a year. At this point, if they still can't handle the workload, shouldn't they just be hiring more staff to conduct interviews? It's all very frustrating. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, KESA said:

They processed 2 CR1s and 26 IR1s - so technically 28 spousal visas (I'm guessing with the size of the backlog the 2 CR1s they processed probably had reasons to expedite their cases and that's why they still qualify as the married for under 2-years CR1 category, while the rest of us have automatically converted to IR1 cases since it's been over 2 years since we started the process now lol). But considering the size of this backlog, it's still frustrating to see. Back in September when they were prioritizing diversity visas - they processed 1,034 DVs (and only 1 IR1, 0 CR1). So clearly they have the ability to prioritize a visa class and process high quantities. It'd be nice to see them do this for the family-based visa categories so they can at least make a dent in the backlog... the COVID closures were so long ago they can't keep blaming that for the fact that interview wait times are over a year. At this point, if they still can't handle the workload, shouldn't they just be hiring more staff to conduct interviews? It's all very frustrating. 

Very much so. This entire ordeal has been a nightmare since inception. I had to contact my congressman just to get the petition approved! Clear cut case, no criminal history or anything. 2 people who fell in love 5 years ago got married almost 2 years ago this coming Sunday on the 12th, and still no interview 💔. Something needs to be done to stir the pot in Nairobi because it seems like not too much is happening over there. I have been supporting 2 families since covid and I'm self employed. I totally understand. 

Edited by Truserenity11

Timeline
12 minutes ago, KESA said:

And if they went according to the chart of prioritizing visas,  spousal visas are listed as 2nd in line,  before diversity visas, so since September,  now what?! Why not process all visa interviews the same way?? With some urgency.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Truserenity11 said:

And if they went according to the chart of prioritizing visas,  spousal visas are listed as 2nd in line,  before diversity visas, so since September,  now what?! Why not process all visa interviews the same way?? With some urgency.

I think the DVs have a certain quota they can issue each year, but that quota expires / resets in October - so if they haven't processed all the applications by then, those slots are just lost. So they were so far behind that I think they started getting a lot of heat for it, so did a mad rush to process a bunch of applications before the quota reset in October. (This is what I've heard - I haven't really researched DV's very much so I'm not 100% 😂

But agreed - it's super frustrating to be 'top priority' in the visa class, yet watch other categories get prioritized over us. Especially since now that they've returned to 'normal' we're still seeing relatively low numbers in the 20s-30s, which doesn't exactly suggest that they feel the same urgency around this backlog as they did around the DVs... so depressing 

It's also so frustrating that there's no communication around their progress through the backlog - for example if I had known that the wait for this interview was going to be over 12 months, we would have started considering other options (for example, me looking for a job outside the US so we could live together). Being in limbo for 2+ years while we wait for this process to hopefully conclude sometime soon, is really hard. I always heard about how bad the US visa process was, but I guess I always assumed that was for more complicated cases or something. The fact that it's this hard to get your spouse a visa / legally in the country is really crazy

Edited by KESA

Timeline
On 2/9/2023 at 8:43 AM, Eduh said:

I was speaking to my husband and saw posted somewhere that we should gather together and send an collective email to the new ambassador? Thoughts?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.