josep1310

I may face serious problems in my interview so please help. Feeling hopeless. Divorce case

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What state do you live in? If you need a lawyer and depending on the state, some states have publicly funded immigration institutes that can address your questions concerns for free. They even have lawyers within their network that you can consult with for a nominal fee. And if you decide to hire a lawyer through them, they will scale their rate depending on your income. Good Luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, josep1310 said:

Do you mean i can be put in removal proceedings if I get a denial again? or they could do it anytime again?

It’s unlikely you have a NTA. If you have an NTA, USCIS will not even interview you.  Follow the suggestions we’ve given you, you will have your opportunity to present your evidence at the interview you’ve been scheduled for. After that interview you will get an approval or worst case an NTA.

No need to panic, just work on accumulating historical evidence of bonafides. You can take a copy of the letter he wrote to divorce court along to your interview.

My other piece of advice is try to make some money. Money always helps. It helps buy good legal representation etc. 

Good luck.

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

1 hour ago, josep1310 said:

Your comment made me cry. I just want this to be over and i have nothing to hide but unfortunately everything i said happened during the interview and i got denials and now I will have to be questioned.

Yes i will go to interview with all the proof i have and i can explain.

I will work on changing my mindset. It was just scaring to hear what others say about how USCIS becomes evil. I was afraid if USCIS will only listen to my ex husband be blind and deaf to me.

also i was afraid of "form g-56" which people said "ice will be waiting for you"

Your previous denial was because I-751 was filed jointly and they had NO CHOICE but to deny , since you missed the second interview . So don’t put importance on that “ denial” , it was just the mechanics of the process. The G-56 is issued in many instances, for example if they want to do Stokes interview or need to dig deeper into a particular issue/ concern..like in your case . 

Even though ex went all out to hurt you , good fortune and USCIS address error , saved you from going to that interview and having the added stress of dealing with USCIS deadlines to produce Divorce and Final Divorce Decree. 

They CANNOT and will not penalize you for that …the only penalty being issued an NTA and they deliberately CHOSE not to do that…so relax. One step at the time, and keep posting. 

When interview is over, Officer will let you know if you are all clear or if they need to “ review” …then you wait and keep posting and reading theses forums. 

5 hours ago, Family said:

Your previous denial was because I-751 was filed jointly and they had NO CHOICE but to deny , since you missed the second interview . So don’t put importance on that “ denial” , it was just the mechanics of the process. The G-56 is issued in many instances, for example if they want to do Stokes interview or need to dig deeper into a particular issue/ concern..like in your case . 

Even though ex went all out to hurt you , good fortune and USCIS address error , saved you from going to that interview and having the added stress of dealing with USCIS deadlines to produce Divorce and Final Divorce Decree. 

They CANNOT and will not penalize you for that …the only penalty being issued an NTA and they deliberately CHOSE not to do that…so relax. One step at the time, and keep posting. 

When interview is over, Officer will let you know if you are all clear or if they need to “ review” …then you wait and keep posting and reading theses forums. 

this will also be n400 interview. what are my chances that i can be approved on the spot? i'm dreaming if i can become a citizen on that day.

do you think(i know nobody can know for sure) most likely i will keep waiting after the interview? is not getting answer at the interview common?

4 minutes ago, josep1310 said:

this will also be n400 interview. what are my chances that i can be approved on the spot? i'm dreaming if i can become a citizen on that day.

do you think(i know nobody can know for sure) most likely i will keep waiting after the interview? is not getting answer at the interview common?

It may be a combo I-751/ N-400 interview, they just never updated their notices and it’s a guessing game if they will conduct both . If they only do the N-400 , and you pass civics, they will tell you you need to wait for I-751 decision or interview. Hopefully it’s for both and you don’t have to wait any longer….but if you do, please know there are many , many others waiting much longer , so don’t fret 

11 hours ago, Family said:

It may be a combo I-751/ N-400 interview, they just never updated their notices and it’s a guessing game if they will conduct both . If they only do the N-400 , and you pass civics, they will tell you you need to wait for I-751 decision or interview. Hopefully it’s for both and you don’t have to wait any longer….but if you do, please know there are many , many others waiting much longer , so don’t fret 

hi again, it will be a combo interview. I received additional mail that specifically says it will be for i751 and n400. i guess this is good news? (i know you cant know for sure) but with everything you heard and know, do you think they will have to make a decision on i751 on this interview?

34 minutes ago, josep1310 said:

hi again, it will be a combo interview. I received additional mail that specifically says it will be for i751 and n400. i guess this is good news? (i know you cant know for sure) but with everything you heard and know, do you think they will have to make a decision on i751 on this interview?

Nice! They will be addressing both. Good Luck

On 6/28/2022 at 1:15 AM, josep1310 said:
Hi I’m praying someone will read my story and give me advise before my n400 and i751 combo interview in Chicago in 2 weeks.
i will write all details and i know it is long but this is my only hope. i'm feeling very alone and my status is complicated.
I am struggling with money and cannot afford lawyers and internet is my only hope to not make a mistake. I’m being questioned by USCIS for marriage fraud which is not true at all
Thank you in advance if you can give any advise or thought. I’m hopeless and upset and hurt so any helpful comment can make a difference for me.

My history:
  • Married us citizen husband(we are from same cultural background) in 2016 after dating 2,5 years and living together 4 months in Chicago
  • Got conditional 2 year green card in 2016
  • Applied I-751 to remove conditions in 2018
  • Applied N-400 under 3 year rule in 2019 while I-751 was pending
  • Received N-400 interview letter in 2019 and went to interview ALONE because I was having marital problems. My ex husband refused to go to interview with me and I had to go to interview alone
  • During the interview, Officer said they received marriage fraud report by my ex while we were going through marriage counseling and living together because my ex was mad at me for considering divorce. his family was on my side during the divorce because they loved me.
  • Officer didn't look at my evidence during the interview and wanted to schedule a second interview. I went with a lot of evidence of our marriage but didn't get a chance to show them. I said okay and left the interview because I was shocked and embarrassed
  • I decided to divorce my ex after the interview because i wouldn't be with someone who did this to me and separated officially while waiting for second interview notice. I wanted to go to second interview alone and switch to divorce waiver and withdraw n400 because that was the right thing to do. (2019)
  • USCIS sent the second interview notice to WRONG address (I have proof of this and yes I always updated my address and got confirmations). I waited for this interview notice for months and I received the denial notice for i751 and n400 because they think I didn't go to interview on purpose. I found out about the second interview notice when I received the denial notice. USCIS sent this notice to completely wrong home(not a previous address etc) it didn’t go to my ex’s address either. They sent it to completely wrong address that I never lived in Chicago. I have proof for this. THIS WAS IN 2020.
  • Denial notice said uscis thinks my marriage was not real. Second interview notice was a “CALL IN LETTER” G-56 and it wasn’t a regular interview notice that is why it was never uploaded to online system or online status never updated until the denial
  • I never received court notice and i was never put in removal proceeding after the denial.
  • My divorce became final and I got divorce decree in 2020. My ex cooperated during divorce because he kept all the money and everything we bought together. 
  • I refiled a new I-751 with divorce waiver in 2020. This I-751 is pending right now.
  • I refiled a new N-400 under 5 year rule in 2021 while second I-751 is pending.
  • I am going to combo interview for N-400 and I-751 in 2 weeks.

Facts about my history
  • My marriage was 100% real and I did not marry my ex for green card. I married the wrong man. 
  • I have no criminal history and i'm from asia(not sure if this is important)
  • My ex reported me to USCIS for “marriage fraud” - this is not true but USCIS didn’t give me chance to explain so they assumed it was true. I saw the officers notes about my first i751 and he assumed this because I didn’t go to second interview (THE CALL IN LETTER that was mailed to wrong address)
  • I'm sure that officer only assumed our marriage is not real because of missing interview. if i could go to that interview alone, i'm sure he would not deny me. 
  • I have A LOT of evidence about our relationship: Joint tax returns, joint mortgage, joint apartment lease, joint car and health insurance, joint car loan, joint savings and credit card accounts, joint memberships, photos, and list goes on for 5 years of our entire relationship. Everything is joint and has our names. and everything is for last 5 years.
  • We always lived together until divorce.
  • We always lived like married couple until divorce.
  • We tried marriage counseling for 2 years.
  • We have no kids, no pets
  • We are both asians and are same age
  • We had marriage problems started after first year.
  • I'm not in removal proceedings.
  • I even have letter from my ex husband that says “we entered marriage in good faith etc” because he was “calmed down” months after he reported me. He even now tries to reach out to me but i don't talk to him.

My questions: (please help me with each one if you can)
  • missing interview was a G-56 (call in letter) 2 years ago. People say, ICE will be waiting if they sent G-56 once. It is horrifying. My current interview notice is NOT g-56. It is regular interview notice. When I go to my interview in 2 weeks, will I be arrested or detained?
  • I am confident in my evidence and my past but is lawyer a must? I know a lawyer is good to have but I can’t afford it. Will it be a horrible mistake if I go and defend myself alone?
  • Should I defend myself for previous denials even if the officer doesn’t bring it up? I assume he would know about it in my history. Am I wrong?
  • Should I talk about how USCIS sent the letter to wrong address even if officer doesn’t bring it up?
  • Am I paranoid to think officer can try to trick me to deny my cases again if I go alone without attorney? 
  • Should I worry too much even if I have enough evidence of our marriage? 
  • I may get emotional because I’m really victim of false accusations and this process hurt me so much, how should I react to questions? Should I just explain everything even if they don’t ask about it?

I’m lost, alone and worried. Please help or give me advise.
God bless you and I hope everyone success in their journey

I know you said you don't have money. But if i am In this situation I will do everything possible to get a lawyer even if it mean taken a loan. 

You got a lot of good advice above. 

My sense,  like most others,  is that you will be fine. 

Try not to get too nervous. 

Answer every question honestly and if in doubt, ask to clarify the question. 

Good luck. 

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The OP hasn't logged on to VJ since the day after he started this thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.