ShaniaB

US green card holder, Fiancè doesn’t have US visa

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just want to start off by saying thank you for the willingness to read my post. 

My fiancé and I have been together for 6 years and we are getting married in September 2022. I have been a green-card holder since 2017 and have proof of residency within the US with my bank statements, job, I pay taxes, etc. I have traveled back and forth within those years to my country of citizenship to visit my fiancé and have stayed out of the US the longest being 1 year since becoming a US resident. 

I would like to become a citizen of America, but I would also like to know if my fiancé can get his marriage green-card with me being a US resident only? Should I apply for citizenship first? What steps should we take for this?

We can more than prove our relationship is sincere at this point so that is the least of my worries. I’d just like guidance on where to start.

Thank you for reading 🥰

Hello,

I just want to start off by saying thank you for the willingness to read my post. 

My fiancé (no visa, citizen of Trinidad and Tobago) and I have been together for 6 years and we are getting married in September 2022. I have been a green-card holder since 2017 and have proof of residency within the US with my bank statements, job, I pay taxes, etc. I have traveled back and forth within those years to my country of citizenship to visit my fiancé and have stayed out of the US the longest being 1 year since becoming a US resident. 

I would like to become a citizen of America, but I would also like to know if my fiancé can get his marriage green-card with me being a US resident only? Should I apply for citizenship first? What steps should we take for this?

We can more than prove our relationship is sincere at this point so that is the least of my worries. I’d just like guidance on where to start.

Thank you for reading 🥰

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please post only once - that will help aggregate your answers.

Yes, you can petition your spouse as a green card holder and then update once you become a US citizen. 

Please start with the guides.  There are guides for petitioning a spouse and for applying for citizenship.

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Unclear if you can file for citizenship but you can file for a spouse.

Nothing you can do until you marry

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

related topics merged and placed in the correct forum.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

You can sponsor a spouse as a green card holder, it falls under F2A. It is faster to file as a citizen but it can take some time between filing for citizenship and becoming a citizen. There is no reason to delay, you can file F2A now and if you become a citizen before the process is completed you can upgrade the spouse petition to IR1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, ShaniaB said:

Hello,

My fiancé (no visa, citizen of Trinidad and Tobago) and I have been together for 6 years and we are getting married in September 2022. I have been a green-card holder since 2017 and have proof of residency within the US with my bank statements, job, I pay taxes, etc. I have traveled back and forth within those years to my country of citizenship to visit my fiancé and have stayed out of the US the longest being 1 year since becoming a US resident. 

Thank you for reading 🥰

The first step would be to get married, then file the I130 which you can do as a US LPR.  If you qualify to file for USC, you can do that as well.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

The first step would be to get married, then file the I130 which you can do as a US LPR.  If you qualify to file for USC, you can do that as well.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much. Do you know how long this usually takes and if applying for citizenship before marriage will disrupt the application for the I130?

31 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You can sponsor a spouse as a green card holder, it falls under F2A. It is faster to file as a citizen but it can take some time between filing for citizenship and becoming a citizen. There is no reason to delay, you can file F2A now and if you become a citizen before the process is completed you can upgrade the spouse petition to IR1.

Thank you Susie. Someone said I can apply for I130 after getting married. What’s the difference between the I130 and F2A? 

Which one is better to apply for?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
4 minutes ago, ShaniaB said:

Thank you Susie. Someone said I can apply for I130 after getting married. What’s the difference between the I130 and F2A? 

Which one is better to apply for?

A green card holder can file an I-130 for a spouse in the F2a family preference category.

The I-130 puts your spouse in the F2a category.  

There is only one way for you to bring your spouse to the US.  This is it.  

Timeline
15 minutes ago, ShaniaB said:

Thank you so much. Do you know how long this usually takes and if applying for citizenship before marriage will disrupt the application for the I130?

If it's only your spouse and no derivative kids, then your naturalization will not affect anything.

If there are derivative kids, then US citizenship would cause them to become ineligible.  

Are there kids involved?

3 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

If it's only your spouse and no derivative kids, then your naturalization will not affect anything.

If there are derivative kids, then US citizenship would cause them to become ineligible.  

Are there kids involved?

No kids involved. Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

On an average how long does it take to approve? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ShaniaB said:

No kids involved. Thank you very much for the clear explanation.

On an average how long does it take to approve? 

Average.  Your case may differ.

About a year for USCIS to approve the I-130.  Two months to transfer to the NVC.  About another year at the NVC waiting for an interview slot at the US consulate/embassy.  Total 2 years or so if everything is done correctly.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.