Tee and Megan

Think I know the answer--but just curious--can USC bring grandchild to US?

14 posts in this topic

Hello all!

My apologies if this has been asked before--but my search efforts aren't finding anything. We are working on bringing my mother-in-law to the US and eventually getting her citizenship. WAAAY down the road--we were just curious if it would ever be possible for her to petition, as a USC for one of her grandchildren to join her in the US? 

Thank you all so much for all your help on our immigration journey. We don't know what we'd to without VJ!

Peace be with you

Megan 

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Not directly, but she can petition for her own child and have the grandchild as a derivative on the petition, assuming  the grand child is still under 21 when a visa becomes available to the parent.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Tee and Megan said:

Hello all!

My apologies if this has been asked before--but my search efforts aren't finding anything. We are working on bringing my mother-in-law to the US and eventually getting her citizenship. WAAAY down the road--we were just curious if it would ever be possible for her to petition, as a USC for one of her grandchildren to join her in the US? 

Thank you all so much for all your help on our immigration journey. We don't know what we'd to without VJ!

Peace be with you

Megan 

Possibly (indirectly) but it can be complicated. As mentioned above, through the grandchild's parent so they can come as a derivative assuming the parent is alive. Sort of in the same situation regarding your question, my mum is a US citizen, petitioned for me and my brother before she became a citizen (f2b) but she recently became a citizen. Unfortunately my widower brother died leaving 2 lovely daughters while we were almost there (at NVC and DQ). Crushed our hearts knowing his daughters US dream may also be over. Even thought going the adoption route which i understand is a possibility but really really complicated (navigating through adoption and immigration law). So to your question, i guess its possible but will be very complex.

Edited by Mundo254

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I filled for my mother and she is now in the us with Green card. My mother was living with her grandchild since my younger sister passed away. My mother filled for her grandchild Hand the case is currently in review at usciss 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Sarah18 said:

I filled for my mother and she is now in the us with Green card. My mother was living with her grandchild since my younger sister passed away. My mother filled for her grandchild Hand the case is currently in review at usciss 

She had adopted the child?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

She had adopted the child?

No I add a copy of death certificate on it. When I filled for my mom I mention a name of all my brother and sister including my death sister. I will wait to see if there ask something else. The application have been accepted and is currently under review.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
40 minutes ago, Sarah18 said:

On what basis?  I see no direct connection for an I-130.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Sarah18 said:

No I add a copy of death certificate on it. When I filled for my mom I mention a name of all my brother and sister including my death sister. I will wait to see if there ask something else. The application have been accepted and is currently under review.

Unfortunately, this petition will be denied.  There is no basis for a grandparent to petition a grandchild.  The law does not allow it.

You paid for an I-130 to be processed.  That is what is happening.  When the processing is over, it will be a denial of the I-130 as there is no qualified relationship between the petitioner and the beneficiary allowing for the successful filing of the I-130.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, Tee and Megan said:

Hello all!

Peace be with you

Megan 

Only possible if both parents are deceased and the grandmother adopts that child before the age of 16.  

1 hour ago, Sarah18 said:

Is she claiming the grandchild is her own child?

Because there is no basis for a petition for a grandchild.

1 hour ago, Sarah18 said:

50 minutes ago, Sarah18 said:

Please keep us posted if you can. We have never uncovered a direct line for grandparents to petition for grandkids unless there was legal adoption. Even if death of the parents occurred there doesn't seem to be an option, outside of adoption, for grandparents to grant immigrant benefits to grandkids.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Please keep us posted if you can. We have never uncovered a direct line for grandparents to petition for grandkids unless there was legal adoption. Even if death of the parents occurred there doesn't seem to be an option, outside of adoption, for grandparents to grant immigrant benefits to grandkids.

There is no direct line, for either an LPR or USC to file for a grandchild.

Which relatives may I petition for?
A U.S. citizen can file a petition for the following relatives:

•  Husband or wife;
• Children, married or unmarried.
A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years or older may also petition for the following relatives:
• Parents;
• Brothers or sisters.
When you submit your petition, you are required to provide evidence to prove your relationship to the person for whom you are filing.

As a Green Card holder (permanent resident), you may petition for certain family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

You may petition for the following family members:

Spouse (husband or wife)

Unmarried children under 21

Unmarried son or daughter of any age

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/A1en.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-of-green-card-holders-permanent-residents

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
4 hours ago, Sarah18 said:

You just gave USCIS free money. This is not a valid petition because you can't petition grand kids. Your case will be denied, unfortunately. Keep us posted.

Edited by nastra30

19 hours ago, Tee and Megan said:

Hello all!

Peace be with you

Megan 

No. Please refer to uscis.gov for eligibility categories 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.