Jump to content

Can one re-enter the country after loosing LPR status? How? JM,


3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lesotho

Hi I was wondering what will happen if someone looses their LPR status as a result of leaving the country (USA ) for a long period (more than 6 months) ?

How much trouble will they be in?

And what ways can she re enter the country (USA) if they are interested in coming back again?

And main questions can they just apply for the B1 B2 tourist visa to re enter the country? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are only presumed to have abandoned LPR status after one year’s absence. You can take your chances with CBP and try sweet talk your way back in if the airline allows you to board and your green card is before its expiry date. No guarantees.


If you don’t actually want to live in the US - which is what the purpose of a green card is - then formally surrender it and apply for a B visa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...