taknev

Which SSA office in Denver has staff knowledgeable about K1 visas?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

I am moving to the US (Denver, CO) on Feb. 26th and I would like to actively avoid delays by knowing beforehand which SSA office in Denver has staff knowledgeable about K1 visas so that I can make an appointment and get my SSN.  Also, kindly let me know if the chances of rejection are high if I apply for SSN after marriage. One more thing - can I go apply for SSN by myself without my wife accompanying me?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Edited by taknev

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, taknev said:

Also, kindly let me know if the chances of rejection are high if I apply for SSN after marriage

Absolutely unrelated.

1 hour ago, taknev said:

can I go apply for SSN by myself without my wife accompanying me?

Yes.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Apply for SSN after before marriage. Lots of people have been denied a SSN post marriage. While you can fight legally to get it after marriage, your i94 will be expired by the time your fight will be over and it can't be issued thereafter anyway. Then you have to apply the SSN thru EAD or GC.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 hours ago, taknev said:

Hello all,

I am moving to the US (Denver, CO) on Feb. 26th and I would like to actively avoid delays by knowing beforehand which SSA office in Denver has staff knowledgeable about K1 visas so that I can make an appointment and get my SSN.  Also, kindly let me know if the chances of rejection are high if I apply for SSN after marriage. One more thing - can I go apply for SSN by myself without my wife accompanying me?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Apply before marriage....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

If not changing names, before/after marriage shouldn't make any difference - they don't ask for proof of marriage. If changing names, prudent to do it before if possible. You can go alone since it is your application.

I don't think you can shop around for which office to go to. At least where I am, you have to go to the one assigned to your zip code.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am intrigued as to how any one would know, as far as I am aware there are no available test scores published on this issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can apply for your SSN before marriage but remember getting an SSN does not give you work eligibility.  For that you need work authorization (EAD) from USCIS and this work authorization expires upon marriage.  If working legally is the issue your best bet may be to get married ASAP and then file simultaneously for AOS and EAD.  USCIS will then get your application for an SSN processed and you should get it from SSA along with work authorization. That's what my fiancee and I did. of course, that was pre-covid.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
8 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

While this is true, there are many advantages to applying for and receiving a SSN as soon as possible after entering the US.  

So many opinions re: when to file.

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 10:15 AM, Crazy Cat said:

While this is true, there are many advantages to applying for and receiving a SSN as soon as possible after entering the US.  Filing taxes, opening bank accounts, renting an apartment, applying for loans, etc. are all much, much easier with a SSN.  While a SSN can be requested during the Adjustment of Status process, it would mean a long delay in receiving it.  Personally, I would apply asap after entering the US. 

This is absolutely true.  We missed the deadline to get SSN immediately on entry and have to wait 12 months for the EAD and SSN.

We had to file a tax extension to get around of having get a TIN and the spouse could not open or get name added to bank accounts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 2/15/2022 at 8:48 AM, flicks1998 said:

You will need to call around and ask.  Someone above said they could only apply within their zip code, but that was not the case for us.

It's not; you typically deal with the SSA by going in-person to an office, and there's no requirement you go to any specific one. It's not like USCIS field offices, where you have to use the one your case is assigned to you, and that's typically based on where you live.

We used the downtown SSA office for my wife's dealings with them because we were in the area (the store where we got wedding rings for the initial application for a number, our USCIS field office when we got her name changed and the 'valid for work only with DHS authorization' text removed) but there's actually a suburban office closer to where we live.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.