TransplantUSA

Cons of applying for US Citizenship?

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Wondering if those of you who have successfully become US citizen (are dual citizens) have found any cons about doing it? I'm contemplating applying now that my 3 years has passed, but I just have this nagging feeling that there's unknown bad things that I haven't contemplated.

The only reason I'm thinking about it now is because we just bought a house and I found out that if we were to ever sell, with me only being a LPR, we'd pay more taxes.

Thanks in advance!

- Emily

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
30 minutes ago, TransplantUSA said:

The only reason I'm thinking about it now is because we just bought a house and I found out that if we were to ever sell, with me only being a LPR, we'd pay more taxes.

I sold three houses as an LPR never paid more taxes because I was an LPR.  

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, TransplantUSA said:

Hey all,

Wondering if those of you who have successfully become US citizen (are dual citizens) have found any cons about doing it? I'm contemplating applying now that my 3 years has passed, but I just have this nagging feeling that there's unknown bad things that I haven't contemplated.

Thanks in advance!

- Emily

you file tax filings every year with US whether you are earning in Zimbabwe or Alaska  or Thailand 

duh

Timeline
24 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

you file tax filings every year with US whether you are earning in Zimbabwe or Alaska  or Thailand 

And you do so either you are a U.S. LPR or a U.S. citizen.  

No difference 

2 hours ago, TransplantUSA said:

Why would you need to pay taxes on the sale of your primary residence?

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Well, the difference is that if you move to another country, you abandon your GC and not pay taxes anymore. But you cannot abandon citizenship that easily.

I had not realized that the question was about dilemma between abandoning LPR status and becoming a citizen.   Thanks for correcting me.  

Which then begs the question: why become an LPR at all if paying US taxes is too onerous?

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

I don't think anyone would have a problem paying taxes while living in the US. 

Then this begs the question: why go though the trouble of getting a green card if one isn’t going to live in the USA?

Besides which aren’t people who renounce LPR status still going to apply for SSA benefits? Talk about cutting of your nose to spite your face: an extra hour of your life every April to make it easier to collect your entitled monthly benefit is too great a cost?

I am baffled by most of this thread.  

Edited by Mike E

I am very confused. So I was told when I bought my house that if we were to ever sell it then we’d owe more taxes as I’m an LPR and not a US Citizen. 

If that is not the case then that’s great, I’ll still go ahead with the citizenship application. 

I have no issues being an LPR or USC. I just wanted to know if those who have become US citizens have ever had a problem or negative experience since becoming one. I’m wanting to keep my British Citizenship as well and know that I am allowed to but has anyone experienced issues with UK Pension/taxes or other things I may not be aware of?

thanks for all the comments this far! Hopefully this clarifies my post a bit!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
15 hours ago, TransplantUSA said:

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

- Emily

Hi Emily. I have been a dual US/UK citizen for 10 years. I have personally found no cons.

You will want to keep two passports renewed, if that is a con to you because of the fee around £100 for British renewal and courier fees. Of course on the flip side you would have to renew your greencard for a fee around $540. 

With two valid passports you can get in the “short lines” for arrivals in the UK and the return to the US. (Kind of a bonus after a long flight.) Your USC family can use the British citizen line with you. We do that at Heathrow. That’s just a reason to keep the UK passport renewed after you get a US passport.

Not sure what the tax comment meant other than if the person thought of you as a total foreigner, non-resident alien who has to file a 1040NR which taxes at a higher rate (around 30%?).  The profit made on the house could be taxable income, but there are many exceptions why it wouldn’t be. And you would not be filing a non-resident income tax return with a higher rate anyway. The realtor or mortgage lender likely doesn’t know all the ins and outs if immigration. That’s just a guess on the tax comment.

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.