WaterLeaf

Looking to know what are my options [Going for Divorce, TN]

33 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hi all. Long story short, things went downhill pretty quick and my Husband isn't doing enough to support (leach) nor try to act like a real Husband PM me if you want to help me talk about it. So less detail of the drama in case he see this (he'll end up making his own account anyway).

So I'm looking into getting divorce when I can. We're still in the same apartment, but using a different primary address. It's been like this since day 1 when he came here.

While I'm already getting myself a manufactured home set up (all in my name, not his) and to be away from him, I know there seem to be some limitation at the moment that I can't just freely divorce my Husband in Tennessee. He don't want to move back home due to vaccination requirements. & I'm pretty sure even if I get the divorce papers ready for a easy sign to agree and divorce, he won't sign it.

So here where it get more difficult for me: I'm on the hook to support him because I filled the affidavit of support for him. So while I'm planning to be separated hopefully at least a year or will have to do more in order to get a divorce, I feel like I have to keep him on my health insurance and auto insurance(?? Because I'll assume he won't pay for his own and then cause a big debt liability that I'll end up having to pay more than what's covered if I had him covered??). I'm thinking about sending a mail to the Department of Human Service in my county to be sure he doesn't try to file for food stamp and other things because that's where I'll end up having to pay for if he gets it and such like that. If I can withdraw that affidavit of support and no longer be responsible for him I'd like to know how/when I can do that.

I've been contacting lawyers but I got no response. No phone call answered. No phone calls returned. I left voicemails. I called/emailed within 50 miles radius of me. I had not walked in to talk to someone yet but I'm planning to when I get time. Mostly I work a lot, sometimes double jobs. My Husband only works part time and he will not go for a full time job. I think he is planning to aim for unemployment but I don't know if that is also a public assistance that I'll end up having to pay back, which I think I do.

So I'm trying my best to do what's better for me and protect me because things had been getting pretty close to domestic violence. I'm all about learning all I need to know (give me links I'll appreciate it, threads, whatever it takes) and to be sure that I don't get screwed over by lawyer as well if something was missed. If I'm going to be separated from my Husband for 1 year, I think something else may come up and things get more complicated. I don't know what it'll be. Another marriage, or seeking public funds, idk. I just can't leave now because I don't have a place to stay at the moment. My home is going to be anytime between April or later.

Notice to mods: If I'm posting in the wrong section of the forum, I'd appreciate it if you could relocate it for me.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-...]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, WaterLeaf said:

Hi all. Long story short, things went downhill pretty quick and my Husband isn't doing enough to support (leach) nor try to act like a real Husband PM me if you want to help me talk about it. So less detail of the drama in case he see this (he'll end up making his own account anyway).

So I'm looking into getting divorce when I can. We're still in the same apartment, but using a different primary address. It's been like this since day 1 when he came here.

While I'm already getting myself a manufactured home set up (all in my name, not his) and to be away from him, I know there seem to be some limitation at the moment that I can't just freely divorce my Husband in Tennessee. He don't want to move back home due to vaccination requirements. & I'm pretty sure even if I get the divorce papers ready for a easy sign to agree and divorce, he won't sign it.

So here where it get more difficult for me: I'm on the hook to support him because I filled the affidavit of support for him. So while I'm planning to be separated hopefully at least a year or will have to do more in order to get a divorce, I feel like I have to keep him on my health insurance and auto insurance(?? Because I'll assume he won't pay for his own and then cause a big debt liability that I'll end up having to pay more than what's covered if I had him covered??). I'm thinking about sending a mail to the Department of Human Service in my county to be sure he doesn't try to file for food stamp and other things because that's where I'll end up having to pay for if he gets it and such like that. If I can withdraw that affidavit of support and no longer be responsible for him I'd like to know how/when I can do that.

I've been contacting lawyers but I got no response. No phone call answered. No phone calls returned. I left voicemails. I called/emailed within 50 miles radius of me. I had not walked in to talk to someone yet but I'm planning to when I get time. Mostly I work a lot, sometimes double jobs. My Husband only works part time and he will not go for a full time job. I think he is planning to aim for unemployment but I don't know if that is also a public assistance that I'll end up having to pay back, which I think I do.

So I'm trying my best to do what's better for me and protect me because things had been getting pretty close to domestic violence. I'm all about learning all I need to know (give me links I'll appreciate it, threads, whatever it takes) and to be sure that I don't get screwed over by lawyer as well if something was missed. If I'm going to be separated from my Husband for 1 year, I think something else may come up and things get more complicated. I don't know what it'll be. Another marriage, or seeking public funds, idk. I just can't leave now because I don't have a place to stay at the moment. My home is going to be anytime between April or later.

Notice to mods: If I'm posting in the wrong section of the forum, I'd appreciate it if you could relocate it for me.

I’m sorry to hear that you are going through this. 
but sadly from my understanding that you cannot get out of the affidavit of support especially it looks like he got approved on the 2 year GC which means you are on the hook till that 2 year GC expired. Just be happy you did not get the 10 year old.

once his 2 year is up he either has to go home cause he won’t be allowed for unemployment or work as he won’t be legal anymore, or say u abused him to get his citizenship which he will need a lot of evidence to do.

I would say get a lawyer for the divorce and cut all ties with him.

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Timeline
2 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Not true. You’re on the hook until one of this criteria is met:

- the immigrant becomes a citizen 

- the immigrant has worked 40 quarters (about 10 years)

- the immigrant leaves the US and abandons LPR status 

- the immigrant dies 

Also not true…. He can simply file for removal of conditions with a divorce waiver in order to get the 10 year GC. Thousands of people have done that. 

I wrote to quickly that I was gonna go back to update that she can also do it on a divorce waiver and prove it was a bonifide marriage 

as for the other things I guess either it changed or I was misinformed when asked this from a friend of mine.

thank you for updating me and the OP

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Nothing has changed

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I've been reading up for the I-864. Yes, I'm on the hook until then. The question would remain if he decide to not renew his 2 yr greencard and didn't go back to his country, I'm still on the hook?

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Spoiler

Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

I've been reading up for the I-864. Yes, I'm on the hook until then. The question would remain if he decide to not renew his 2 yr greencard and didn't go back to his country, I'm still on the hook?

Yes

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, WaterLeaf said:

So while I'm planning to be separated hopefully at least a year or will have to do more in order to get a divorce, I feel like I have to keep him on my health insurance and auto insurance(?? Because I'll assume he won't pay for his own and then cause a big debt liability that I'll end up having to pay more than what's covered if I had him covered??).

From what I have read, you cannot remove your spouse from insurances until the divorce is finalized. This is why getting a good divorce attorney to protect you financially (issues like spousal support etc) should be your priority right now. 

41 minutes ago, MASH said:

I'm thinking about sending a mail to the Department of Human Service in my county to be sure he doesn't try to file for food stamp and other things because that's where I'll end up having to pay for if he gets it and such like that.

Unfortunately you cannot stop him from applying and receiving such services especially if he’s eligible to do so. 

3 minutes ago, WaterLeaf said:

The question would remain if he decide to not renew his 2 yr greencard and didn't go back to his country, I'm still on the hook?

Yes. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

can't just freely divorce my Husband in Tennessee. He

Why not?

unemployment but I don't know if that is also a public assistance that I'll end up having to pay back, which I think I do.

No. Unemployment is not public assistance. He pays into unemployment with his work. It won’t affect you.

43 minutes ago, MASH said:

he won't sign it.

He doesn’t need to!

feel like I have to keep him on my health insurance and auto insurance(?? Because I'll assume he won't pay for his own and then cause a big debt liability that I'll end up having to pay more than what's covered if I had him covered??

Divorce and you’re out of that hook at least.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Why not?

No. Unemployment is not public assistance. He pays into unemployment with his work. It won’t affect you.

He doesn’t need to!

Divorce and you’re out of that hook at least.

There are laws in TN that accept a divorce but my reasons do not fall under the grounding category for a divorce in TN. I heard some people got away with it easily but I don't know how recent was that and thinking the judge may not allow it for me.

To all, thanks for all the reply. I appreciate the infos. I may return for more question on this thread and still read up.

Spoiler

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

When you file for legal separation (if your state requires) you can ask your lawyer then if you must keep him on your health insurance. 

The AOS is not about you supporting him financially, just repayment if he did get benefits. Most PR do not qualify until something like 5 yrs. Some states have different rules. So look into your state services. As for if he goes home and gives up his GC yes you are off the hook. 

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ontarkie said:

Is he going to be driving your car? If not get him off the insurance. When you file for legal separation (if your state requires) you can ask your lawyer then if you must keep him on your health insurance. 

The AOS is not about you supporting him financially, just repayment if he did get benefits. Most PR do not qualify until something like 5 yrs. Some states have different rules. So look into your state services. As for if he goes home and gives up his GC yes you are off the hook. 

Well, there is a car that is in mine and his name. We got it for him to drive around and I've been maintaining it because he do not know how to do so or know how to spot scam mechanics. I can likely go get my name off the car and leave it just to him and insure it only himself since I've been paying basically most things including auto/health/rent insurance.

I'll look into legal separation and the health insurance information. Thank you. I don't think he'll be leaving anytime soon. But I've heard things like he don't want to naturalize but he could change his mind at any given moment.

Spoiler

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline
1 minute ago, WaterLeaf said:

Well, there is a car that is in mine and his name. We got it for him to drive around and I've been maintaining it because he do not know how to do so or know how to spot scam mechanics. I can likely go get my name off the car and leave it just to him and insure it only himself since I've been paying basically most things including auto/health/rent insurance.

I'll look into legal separation and the health insurance information. Thank you. I don't think he'll be leaving anytime soon. But I've heard things like he don't want to naturalize but he could change his mind at any given moment.

Yes look into it. I don't know what qualifications are for you to get divorced sooner. I saw you mentioned it above. You might not think you fit into one of the categories but another good reason to seek a good lawyer. 

I didn't want to naturalize at first either. Only did it for my kids. He may change his mind. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Yeah. I could get a divorce if we can go for a no-ground both signing agree for divorce but he can say no and I have to find a ground-fault to get a divorce. A lawyer area here is needed then.
https://www.tncourts.gov/help-center/court-approved-divorce-forms

I'll be looking for more lawyers, maybe re-dial some numbers and see if I get any answers.

Spoiler

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, MASH said:

I’m sorry to hear that you are going through this. 
but sadly from my understanding that you cannot get out of the affidavit of support especially it looks like he got approved on the 2 year GC which means you are on the hook till that 2 year GC expired. Just be happy you did not get the 10 year old.

once his 2 year is up he either has to go home cause he won’t be allowed for unemployment or work as he won’t be legal anymore, or say u abused him to get his citizenship which he will need a lot of evidence to do.

I would say get a lawyer for the divorce and cut all ties with him.

This is all incorrect.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.