jelepano

Would like to withdraw a petition

17 posts in this topic

Hello! I am a USC. I filed for form I-130 for my mother recently, and later realized that I cannot take care of her so I would like to withdraw my petition. She doesn't know that I would like to withdraw my petition, and I don't have plans on telling her. Will USCIS tell her that I withdrew her application or she will never find out? Thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Did u tell her u made the petition?

if u did,   be honest and tell her

u can tell  USCIS to withdraw it ,  

or u don't do the AOS at NVC stage and let it die

but she is going to wonder what happen 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If you already paid for it, just let here get the GC and then ask talk to her to go back home. That is how I would do it. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

Did u tell her u made the petition?

if u did,   be honest and tell her

u can tell  USCIS to withdraw it ,  

or u don't do the AOS at NVC stage and let it die

but she is going to wonder what happen 

She knows I filed the petition. I can't tell her that I would like to withdraw because it will make me the bad child AGAIN.

3 minutes ago, Timona said:

If you already paid for it, just let here get the GC and then ask talk to her to go back home. That is how I would do it. 

I don't want her to get the GC. I don't want her here because it means I have to deal with everything she comes with. Her visiting here is already too much and taking a toll on my mental health. I can't imagine the stress I'll be dealing when she's a GC already.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 minutes ago, jelepano said:

I don't want her to get the GC. I don't want her here because it means I have to deal with everything she comes with. Her visiting here is already too much and taking a toll on my mental health. I can't imagine the stress I'll be dealing when she's a GC already.

I understand. But you already paid for it.

But it is upto you. I just do not want you to cancel, lose the money, later regret and start again.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Just now, Timona said:

I understand. But you already paid for it.

But it is upto you. I just do not want you to cancel, lose the money, later regret and start again.

That is okay with me. My only concern is if USCIS will tell her that I withdrew the application for her.

1 minute ago, Ontarkie said:

At this stage it is your petition and you can withdraw it without her being notified. Now if she has the file number she may be able to find information online about the status. If she doesn't have anything then don't worry about it. 

Do not petition anyone who is causing you anguish. Mother or not you do not owe her anything if this will be harmful to yourself. 

Thank you so much! It's been too much, and she is the reason why I left. So much childhood trauma came back rushing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 minutes ago, jelepano said:

Thank you so much! It's been too much, and she is the reason why I left. So much childhood trauma came back rushing.

You're welcome, take care of yourself. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
30 minutes ago, jelepano said:

then tell her and maybe she will cut the ties 

You have a right to withdraw a petition if you realize it is a bad idea for her to come live in the US.

On a related note, it's a good idea to seek counseling for yourself so that you can process these issues with your parent and learn how to set healthy, firm boundaries. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 hours ago, jelepano said:

I believe it is better to let the petition to continue to approval.  The I-130 is only the first step.  The next step is the NVC stage, where you need to pay for the AOS and IV and complete/submit the additional forms and items.

At the NVC stage let the petition sit and don't pay the fees 

This will give you some time to reflect, perhaps get some therapy, and perhaps even to talk things out with your mother.  These are just options - none need to happen and you can let the petition die at NVC.

This solves one possible issue - you can honestly tell your mother that you didn't withdraw the petition.  Or not tell her anything and be guilt free than if you actively withdrew..

If things do work out and it's not too late (over 1 year waiting at NVC), then you can continue with the process.

There are posts here of fiance's/spouses/family that have withdrawn petitions after a fight only to regret doing it.  It sounds like your situation is deeper than a simple fight or disagreement, but by letting the petition get to the NVC stage you leave an option open.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.