18 posts in this topic

I petitioned for my husband to come to the US on a spouse visa. He got the visa and has the green card and has been living with me and my parents since August. My parents were sponsors because my husband and I are students and although working, could not meet the financial requirement. The problem is now, there have been some conflicts between my husband and parents. He's gone back to his home country for a bit and plans to come back to the US in about a month. But my parents are considering revoking their sponsorship.. what happens if they do that? Is it even possible? I am afraid of the consequences.... My husband and I want to still start our life here...

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

I guess they failed to read the conditions of the I-864 they signed.....they cannot revoke sponsorship.....

Woo! Well that's good for me I guess.. so basically I shouldn't need to worry? I know my husband and I can show them that us being together good. It will just take time. I'm simply worried about anything negative happening to his status in the mean time. They even mentioned speaking to a lawyer

Edited by o1michmich

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, o1michmich said:

So even a lawyer cannot do anything?

Sure the Lawyer can explain to them what they signed as they seem to be having issues understanding their obligations.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

They should have hired the lawyer before they signed I-864

I had a similar situation… I just reprint the I-864 and send for they to read again. They never mentioned anything else about it.

number #1 rule of signing is read first. They cannot just go there and try to sabotage your husband. 

my thoughts for you: put some boundaries, live your life and do not thing you and your husband have a debt with them. They did because they want it. Too late to change their mind.

Agree with @JamieCO. Start looking for your own accommodation and get a job. Having issues with your parents while you are living with them won't do your relationship any favours. 

Look for a stand by  lawyer. Your and your husband need to quickly get a job. Your combine income should be like 45 000 or 50000. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 minute ago, Mr Genuis said:

Look for a stand by  lawyer. Your and your husband need to quickly get a job. Your combine income should be like 45 000 or 50000. 

What's a stand by lawyer?  What does that even mean?

OP's spouse has a green card.  Joint Sponsor can't revoke it.  So, why the need for a lawyer?  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.