GWagon

Sponsor my mother for a GC from inside the US [merged threads]

69 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

My Mother’s have been in the US since end of 2019. She came here through visitor visa which expired June 2021. Before her six months stamp expires I applied for a visa extension, that was processed a year after due to bio appointments problems and was Issued already expired. 

Pretty much she is out of status and couldn’t go back due to difficult COVID situation back home.

My naturalization interview is coming up shortly and I would like to know if I can sponsor her from inside the US and if they will forgive her visa overstay. 

Also, If possible, how long it takes to get her green card if apply from inside US.

Thank you!

Edited by TBoneTX

Hi everyone,

My Mother’s have been in the US since end of 2019. She came here through visitor visa which expired in June 2021. Before her six months stamp expired, I applied for a visa extension. That was processed a year after due to bio appointments problems and therefore was Issued already expired. 

Pretty much she is out of status and couldn’t go back due to difficult COVID situation back home.

My naturalization interview is coming up shortly and I would like to know if I can sponsor her from inside the US and if they will forgive her visa overstay. 

Also, If possible, how long it would take her  to get a green card if apply from inside US.

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Yes 

A year or two?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, GWagon said:

She has been in the US for 1 year and 8 months.

It sure what the relevance of that is.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

How long before she gets a green card depends on the field office you are at. Average processing time for i485 so far this fiscal year has been 13.3 months. Many bigger ones are taking longer that that and some  FOs are even taking up to more than 3 years for i485s. 

It’s possible that she would actually have gotten a green card faster from outside the country - depending on your FO vs the consulate where she is from - unfortunately you’ve closed that option off as she’s overstayed so long she’ll have at least a three year ban if she leaves the US now.

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s possible that she would actually have gotten a green card faster from outside the country - depending on your FO vs the consulate where she is from - unfortunately you’ve closed that option off as she’s overstayed so long she’ll have at least a three year ban if she leaves the US now.

So If I understand well, it’s possible to apply from within US and they will be forgiving her visa overstay. Just need to wait 1-2 yrs.

…That was my next question!

She couldn’t go back because of airline canceling tickets then she was waiting for her visa extension to process, and now Covid hit hard back home so the country is locked down. If I send her home to apply later, don’t you think they will be forgiving due to the extraordinary situation. I am referring to the 3 yrs ban. Thank you.

Timeline

No

4 minutes ago, GWagon said:

So If I understand well, it’s possible to apply from within US and they will be forgiving her visa overstay. Just need to wait 1-2 yrs.

…That was my next question!

She couldn’t go back because of airline canceling tickets then she was waiting for her visa extension to process, and now Covid hit hard back home so the country is locked down. If I send her home to apply later, don’t you think they will be forgiving due to the extraordinary situation. I am referring to the 3 yrs ban. Thank you.

As I said before, it could even take 3 years (even more at the wide end of the range) at some FOs. But some are less than a year, too. Where are you located?

And no, you’d need to apply for a waiver based on hardship to you for the ban to be overcome. Honestly, the excuses don’t add up to 14 months beyond her original expiry date given the ebbs and flows of what has been happening (and she did not need to “wait for her visa extension to process”, many people leave before this happens) but even if they did there is no path to an embassy to just decide to “forgive”. And by the time she reaches a year of overstay it changes to a ten year ban. So I think you’ve painted yourself into a corner as far as options are concerned. 

Timeline

No mention of a qualifying relative who could apply for a waiver

4 minutes ago, Boiler said:

No mention of a qualifying relative who could apply for a waiver

A son/daughter is not a qualifying relative?

edit: oh, they are not for unlawful presence.  Correct.

So OP, no waiver option. Sorry. Any ban will need to be worked out entirely.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.